Futurama-Themed Keen Mod?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I intend on trying to draw Bender at some point...Fry is a little easier though, since the only part that really has to be redrawn (as compared to the Keen sprite) is his head. The rest I basically drew on top of Keen's sprite and recolored it a bit.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

fund it
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I like this idea, and the sprite looks great! This would work well as a mod. But please don't feature Bender much, can't stand him. :bloody
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Bender can be the council page, he's not in the game too often; and fry can collect booze for him (because why not?):

tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

OMGOMGOMG! YESSS!

perfect sprite too.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

I have seven sprites for Fry completely finished and am working on an eighth. I've done one for Leela as well, but I want to fine tune it a bit before I show that one. I'll post more pictures soon. I may start trying to work out a story as well in the near future. Does anyone know if there's a way to make all the council members different?
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'm quite curious how you intend to implement the peach skin color, as you will need a pallete change to do that in the Galaxy engine. Also, unless you are willing to put in around one or two thousand hours of work, try to think small in your planning. Even still, I wish you lots of luck because this could be a very neat mini-project.

As for the council members, you may eventually need patches if you plan on doing any serious changes. For now, my suggestion on how to make them different (though they would have to be stationary) would be to make the council member sprite an invisible hitbox and then have tiles representing the character (similar to Keen 9).
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Actually, the color I used for his skin is part of the pallete...at least the one in the thread which talks about Keen's shirt color. I definitely will need help on this one. My sprites may look good, but I will definitely not be able to design worldmaps etc. My artistic talents are severely limited. If I can get some people onboard, it would really be a big help. We'll see how the rest of the sprites turn out first though.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Oh wow. You really fooled me with the light red color there, I honestly thought it was more of a peach color. Good job!

I'll offer suggestions when I find time, but I'm already at maximum capacity with Atroxian Realm. Plus, I offered to help with Adventures in the BWB Megarocket if I ever finish AR. Even still, good luck with this project. If I was you, I would aim to create a simple one level mod (perhaps Planet Express and some surrounding area). That should be more than enough work.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Gridlock wrote:Oh wow. You really fooled me with the light red color there, I honestly thought it was more of a peach color. Good job!
Same here!

TKC, you rock. Don't diss your artistry.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Gridlock wrote:Oh wow. You really fooled me with the light red color there, I honestly thought it was more of a peach color. Good job!
Thanks! It does look reasonably good. Wish the hair was a bit more orange though I must say...probably would look a lot better against a non-orange background.
Gridlock wrote:I would aim to create a simple one level mod (perhaps Planet Express and some surrounding area).
Definitely am going to try and start small. Unless I get some people on board I won't be able to get much done anyway. The sprites are taking long enough as it is. :P

kuliwil wrote:TKC, you rock. Don't diss your artistry.
Thanks. I AM pretty proud of how the sprites are turning out so far. I don't honestly think I'll be able to do backgrounds or tiles or anything on a larger scale though. My sprites are not very textured. I can get away with that in this case because of the style of animation, but I don't know about anything more significant.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

My first reaction to this thread was "no", but then I read it.

Now my thoughts are "yes".
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
neek
Vortininja

Post by neek »

lol, this would be awesome!
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Bump!

Haven't entirely given up on this idea, but I haven't worked on it for a while either. I'm going to put some time in on the sprites this summer and see if I can get it rolling. I have seven done at this point I think, plus I did just a standing sprite for Leela.