A few questions about level editing

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Aaron
Grunt

A few questions about level editing

Post by Aaron »

1) Is there a place where I can download Keenwrigt. Andrew's site doesn't work anymore. I've tried mindbelt, but it keeps asking me for a tileset, which I don't have. So if anyone knows where I can download Keenwright or where I can find a tileset for keen2, let me know.

2) Are there any decent Keen 4 editors. I've seen a lot of Keen4 mods, but I'd like to make levels with the original tiles and sprites.
I prefer a not too hard to use editor, as TED5 never worked with me.

3) Are there any levelsets with the original keen4 sprites and tiles?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
shikadi314
Grunt
Location: The Universe,Milky Way,Solar System, Earth,Europe,United Kingdom,England

Re: A few questions about level editing

Post by shikadi314 »

Aaron wrote:
2) Are there any decent Keen 4 editors. I've seen a lot of Keen4 mods, but I'd like to make levels with the original tiles and sprites.
Tryhttp://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=886 ;)
Been playing Keen for years.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Re: A few questions about level editing

Post by XkyRauh »

Aaron wrote:1) Is there a place where I can download Keenwrigt. Andrew's site doesn't work anymore. I've tried mindbelt, but it keeps asking me for a tileset, which I don't have. So if anyone knows where I can download Keenwright or where I can find a tileset for keen2, let me know.
You should be able to find KeenWright over at DosClassics.com's Beyond the Pogo section. In fact, it's right here. :)
Aaron wrote:2) Are there any decent Keen 4 editors. I've seen a lot of Keen4 mods, but I'd like to make levels with the original tiles and sprites.
TED5 is actually amazingly easy to use--it's just not entirely intuitive, so there's a learning curve. But Shikadi314 has a good suggestion nonetheless.
Aaron wrote:3) Are there any levelsets with the original keen4 sprites and tiles?
I believe there were a few released, though I do not know where to find them.
Aaron
Grunt

Post by Aaron »

Thanks guys.

I downloaded the KeenNext editor, but when I try to create a new keen file (file --> create keen files --> Keen4e.exe) it says "Couldn't determin exe version number" and "Couldn't extract MAPHEAD"
I patched it with the patch in the KeenNext download file.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong here?
shikadi314
Grunt
Location: The Universe,Milky Way,Solar System, Earth,Europe,United Kingdom,England

Post by shikadi314 »

From the "File" menu, select "Create Keen files" and chose the KeenXE.EXE.
This creates maphead.ckX and editmaps.ckXYou must
have the unlz-ed exe at that location and the gamemaps.ckX too!
This should help. 8)
Been playing Keen for years.
Aaron
Grunt

Post by Aaron »

I read that in the readme file, but they're all in the good direction I think.
Do you have to have the complete editor in the KeenX map?