Keen Project - Megazeux Project - Music Project

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Thud
Grunt

Keen Project - Megazeux Project - Music Project

Post by Thud »

Wasn't sure where to post, I'll get a feel for the boards soon.

Anyways, I've been playing keen since it came out... Well, since I was old enough to even use a computer, and along with keen I've been making games in a program call MegaZeux for quite some time now. These two are related in one way: I'm making a game based in the Keeniverse with Megazeux: http://www.digitalmzx.net/

The game will be a in the style of a JRPG, not the classic sidescroller, (I can't stand MZX sidescrollers) the graphics are severly limited by the fact that mzx is textmode, so I will just be making rough semblance to the classic Keen creatures and graphical style, and finally, the game will be almost entirly story driven.

... Huh... I guess what I'm saying really is that this game will be nothing like keen in any way except that the main character is Keen and it all takes place in the Keeniverse... I guess I was just piggybacking the concept so that I wouldn't have to come up with one myself.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I've released some bits of the soundtrack, which is largely original music as well as re-produced versions of songs we all know. here it is in playlist form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-KrU-iw ... p_play_all
keep in mind, there will be more.

Now, just another quick thing to add to the soundtrack thing, when I produced the last song on the playlist (KN_OASIS) my girlfriend noticed it and said it sounded like a Cake song... So that's what we did with it.

Incredible Justice (Keen for You) - http://soundcloud.com/balexpope/incredible-justice#play

anyway, if anyone is interested in the project, tell me, I've lost some steam on it and would like to see the last 20% of the game that's left get finished.
Last edited by Thud on Thu May 03, 2012 3:37, edited 1 time in total.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Re: Keen Project - Megazeux Project - Music Project

Post by entropicdecay »

Thud wrote:anyway, if anyone is interested in the project, tell me, I've lost some steam on it and would like to see the last 20% of the game that's left get finished.
Sounds pretty interesting to me. I'm listening to "KN_OASIS" right now, sounds good.
Thud
Grunt

Post by Thud »

Screenshots time! Shameful graphics, but hey, this game aint about graphics. I'll write a story synopsis when I've got a minute.

First Board:
Battle Skin (JRPG style)
Prison in the Fribbulus Xax
Korath III abandoned building roof
Xax Sewer
Mars
Bloog Tower
Dream sequence
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Ah this is splendid! I'm really interested in this project. I wish I could help out. I really like the whole JRPG style. And I did especially like "KN_OASIS". I'll listen to more later on. Cool project!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I have to say I actually think the graphics have an interesting look to them. I like what I've listened to of the music too.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I like the first and second last screenshot best.

The larger in-battle graphics for monsters and heroes could use a little work though. I have no problem with simplistic graphics, but those look a bit sloppy.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Thud
Grunt

Post by Thud »

Yea, the aesthetic is generally pretty sloppy, but like I said, it aint about the graphics and it's pretty hard to expect anything but "serviceable" from textmode.

For the record, I'm on the last few real boards of the game, which is to say LOADS AND LOADS of engine tweaking left to go, but the primary storyline is coming to a close. I just need something non-essential to the storyline to happen on Mars (where the game eventually comes to a point) before storming Mort's ehhh... let's call it a fortress.

Any ideas? I was thinking something about a bunch of Yorps needing keen to do a thing... not sure what yet.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

What is the game like exactly? Is it going to be like Final Fantasy 1? That's what it looks like to me by the screenshots. And if that's the case, awesome!

Thud wrote:Any ideas? I was thinking something about a bunch of Yorps needing keen to do a thing... not sure what yet.
So you want ideas for the story? I'll be thinking about it!
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Thud
Grunt

Post by Thud »

The story is pretty much finished and laid out, I just need some kind of event/adventure on mars before you proceed to the final boards
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

What kind of music is it going to feature? Is it going to be some awful Spectrum ZX stuff like the graphics evoke?
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Flaose wrote:What kind of music is it going to feature? Is it going to be some awful Spectrum ZX stuff like the graphics evoke?
The music is linked to in the first post, isn't it?
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Oh yeah, my bad for skimming. I'm glad that you decided to go a different route (though listening to ZX music, it wasn't so bad, just the loading sounds).
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Thud wrote:Any ideas? I was thinking something about a bunch of Yorps needing keen to do a thing... not sure what yet.
That sounds like a fairly reasonable excuse to bring Keen back to Mars for a while. Keen is apparently fond of Yorps, or maybe visa-versa. Here's my idea so far...

It all started when a Soda Can rolled into a tunnel belonging to a Garg. The Garg, never caring much about lollipops, pizza, or other items Keen usually collects, steps on the Soda Can, cracking it open. The fizzy carbonated liquid immediately burst out of its pressurized aluminum confinements. This surprised the Garg, because he had no idea the Soda Cans contained soda. He bent down and tasted some of the remaining liquid. He liked it! It was a new and exciting experience for him! The Garg immediately ran to tell the rest of the Gargs about this new fizzy drink he had discovered. Within a few hours, all the Gargs were scouring Mars, looking for any Soda Cans Keen may have left behind. They broke open the cans with their strong teeth, resulting in the soda splashing out and into the Gargs' mouths. What a fizz! That bubbling feeling was electric! Soda had become the new mania among the Gargs, and there was plenty of it in Mars to keep them satisfied for a while.

It was only that good old Pepsi inside the cans that the Gargs liked, not the cans themselves. They decided to use the Yorp village as the dumping grounds for their empty cans. This made the Yorps very upset. So they called on their hero, Commander Keen, to help solve the problem. Soon the Bean-with-Bacon Rocketship arrived. What a fix Keen was in this time! The piles of empty cans were piling up to the sky in great heaps. "Aw nuts," mutters Commander Keen. "I should have collected more Soda while I was here." Bad luck. Keen was more interested in collecting Teddy Bears. The cold hard fact was that if Keen has collected all the Soda, he may have had a chance at beating Tom Hall on the High Score List.

Not even a genius with a 413 IQ could figure out what to do with all these empty cans crowding the Yorps out of their very homes. And then it happened! A familiar clapping sound came from behind Keen. He turned around quick to find the noise coming from an old nemesis and hazard: The Pat Pat. "Ah-ha!" says Keen, as he cautiously steps away. "This gives me an idea!" Keen hurriedly picks up the nearest can and tosses it at the Pat Pat, which chomps it down in seconds. Keen begins taking arm fulls of the empty cans, dumping them on the Pat Pat, who goes right along chomping. The Yorps eventually catch on, taking cans to other Pat Pats. Before long, the piles disappeared and the Yorps had their homes back.

The Gargs, meanwhile, were running low on Soda. Soda had become more scarce than Vacuum Cleaners! So once again, Keen saved the day. But before he blasted off from Mars again, Keen set up a Soda Fountain for the Gargs. Happy Soda Party, Gargs! The Yorps waved good-bye with their eyes, but all the Gargs could do was burp. END OF TEXT!

Hmm..I think I got a little carried away. Anyways, that's my idea so far. I hope you found it amusing. Not sure if this idea is suitable for your game.
Thud
Grunt

Post by Thud »

As it turns out, the game has oddly dark overtones. The title is "Heroes Lost" because Billy is pretty much no longer Keen. He's been jaded by the terrible things he's had to do and the terrible things that he can't help, his place in the universe is constantly in question. He is trying to be good, but of course trying isn't enough. That and people's definition of good varies. In any case, the game isn't going to follow the campy-ness of the original games... However, the soda can idea might have some merit, or at least referencing the garbage piles that would result from so much crap being left on mars.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Dark-overtoned Keen makes me sad! Happy albino-toned Keen makes me happy! :)
Great sounding instruments on the music, btw. They sound so real.
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13, edited 1 time in total.