Overworld Mod Idea

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Overworld Mod Idea

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hey hey! How's it going today? Good, no? Great!
So I had an idea today. There's a few really cool mods out there that have really cool concepts, like Birdman, Adventures in the BwB Megarocket, Mink's Puzzle Pack, and Dead in the Desert. (Not to say the other mods aren't cool.)
What about a 1-level Overworld mod? The idea is...
...A GIANT OVERWORLD! I mean like humongous. And it's filled with dangerous tiles, mazes, puzzles, and creatures that move around the Overworld killing Keens, much like in Mink's Puzzle Pack.
If I'm not mistaking, when Keen dies in the Overworld, he starts again at the entrance of the most recent level he completed. So within this giant Overworld would be various levels which would be used as Half-Way Marks, like in Donkey Kong Country. There could also be things to interact with, like talking to Imposter Keen in Dead in the Desert. All the creatures would have to have heavy patching so that they could function properly in the Overworld. And I'm not sure which Keen episode this would work (if it can work) best on. 4, 5 or 6?

Wouldn't it be cool if Keen could shoot his blaster while moving about the Overworld? I wonder if a patch like that is possible. The game would be like a overhead shooter! like... Jackel, or the second stage in Contra (NES). What do you think of this idea? Good? Bad? Not worth it? What are your thoughts or ideas? Tell me! I demand to know!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
DukeNukem 2417
Grunt

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

I really, REALLY like this idea. An overworld with just as many obstacles as a level would make any Keen mode 110% more awesome. :mort
What's the point of growing up if you can't be a little childish sometimes?
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Yes, getting the patches is probably possible. The biggest things to remember are memory and other limitations. You could probably get the world map pretty big (I've already succeeded in making a much bigger world map than Keen 4's original), but once it gets too big you might run into problems with having a lot of sprites, lots of patches, a big music file, etc. And don't forget about tile limitations, both in how many unique tiles you can have and how many animated tiles you can have. You probably won't be able to get things quite as large as you want, but you should definetely try.

Perhaps it would be possible to patch in multiple levels that also act as world maps. Completing one world map (level) could unlock a patch through on the main map.

As for the Keen game, each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Ideally, it would be possible to patch in elements from all the different Keen games, but I haven't seen any succesful patches with this yet. Keen 6 is probably your best bet, but it all depends on what you want to do. Definetely think this one out a bit.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I see enemies in the overworld best being implemented as animated tiles. Sprites turn into level entrances on the world map. I'm not sure you can patch them out of that state, and if you did, you'd get weird behavior, like them 'falling' to the nearest wall to the south.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I had the idea of making a giant Keen maze, but the concept by itself didn't seem to have a lot of merit, so it never reached fruition.

Maybe this mod could have some maze elements?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I see enemies in the overworld best being implemented as animated tiles. Sprites turn into level entrances on the world map. I'm not sure you can patch them out of that state, and if you did, you'd get weird behavior, like them 'falling' to the nearest wall to the south.
Keen:Galaxy level sprites are fortunately not as commandeered as Keen:Vorticon ones. For example, my first attempt at Keen 4 modding had some Bounders on the map along with some other random stuff. Also, I'm pretty sure Mink contributed to some level pack that had dangerous sprites on the map (and they were the most annoying thing ever). Sprites only turn in to level entrances if they start with some magical hex code (I think $FF).
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Great! That's a lot of things to consider. I'll add this to my project queue. In addition to some sort of shooting capability, I think Overworld Keen would need to be able to flip switches -- something which, come to think of it, might be more important that shooting.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!