Commander Keen vs Ness

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

Would Commander Keen beat Ness (Earthbound) in a fight?

Commander Keen
41%
Ness
18%
Who's Ness?
41%

Total votes: 17

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Commander Keen vs Ness

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I know I know, another generic poll topic. This one is Keen vs. Ness from the Earthbound/Mother series, of which I am a big fan. The artistic style, humor, and (somewhat childish) sci-fi themes between the two games are very similar IMO. :)

I sure hope nobody votes the third option :helmet
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't know who Ness is, nor care for that matter, but Keen'd beat him in any case.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

They would have no reason to fight. :) If they did, however, I feel that Ness would win, because his game is geared towards combat more than Keen's is.

Ness's advantages:
Melee prowess (Bat, yo-yo)
Recovery (PSI Healing)

Ness's disadvantages:
Inferior Mobility
Increased susceptibility to Neural Stunner (he's a psionic; it'd sap his PP!)

Keen's advantages:
Higher IQ (even over Jeff!) means he can utilize equipment Ness can't
Gadgets can help him out (Shield Neutralizer, etc. in the Earthbound style)

Keen's disadvantages:
No psionic shielding (PSI Rockin' / Flash would eat him alive)
No melee training (see: Vortininjas, Shikadi)

Really, Keen's character is so similar to Jeff's, and it's so clear that Jeff is barely half the functional character Ness is in Earthbound, I have to side with Ness. :)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Don't forget that pogo-stick combined with the ability to shoot up and down, which is a big advantage on Keen's side (which supports the inferior-mobility aspect of Ness up there). I don't think Ness can jump as high as Keen even without the pogo, and Keen can jump right over his head easily. On the other hand, Ness has fought lots of flying enemies like flies and smilin spheres so it's not implausible to say that PSI attacks can strike from above.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

I'm going to have to go with Ness on this one. He's got a nasty array of psychic abilities, as well as some close-combat skills.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

XkyRauh wrote:Really, Keen's character is so similar to Jeff's, and it's so clear that Jeff is barely half the functional character Ness is in Earthbound, I have to side with Ness. :)

More than most think...
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

They would become friends. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Hm, earthbound sounds like something i'd want to play (or maybe just watching someone else play, considering how much time I have nowadays >:)!
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

KeenEmpire wrote:Hm, earthbound sounds like something i'd want to play (or maybe just watching someone else play, considering how much time I have nowadays >:)!
You should play it, it's awesome. One of my favourite games, I think.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Same here. Play it. Play it and become happy.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

There's a few stages of Earthbound, from a new player's perspective:
Stage one: "Oh, wow, everything is so simple and cute!"
Stage two: "You know, this game is actually pretty good."
Stage three: "Ugh, the inventory management system sucks."
Stage four: "Holy cow, there's a lot more to this game than I thought!"
Stage five: "This is a really good game."

It starts out slow--and it feels really simple and hokey for a good long while, but the more you explore the world, the more the game draws you in. I make a point of going back and playing it every 5 years or so--I think I'm due for a replay this summer. :)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Hm, I started playing, I really like. That baptism by fire of buzz buzz vs starman jr was awesome. I'm still walking around his hometown, got beaten by 3 gang members :(

As a curious question, if you didn't visit porky's house, would buzz buzz have lived?
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Stage three: "Ugh, the inventory management system sucks."
As much as I love Earthbound, I do have to admit that the inventory management could have used some work. There's a good reason why most RPGs give you a lot of inventory space. Even just something like making key items (and perhaps equipment) be stored separately and not take up space that could be used by regular items would have helped a lot.
As a curious question, if you didn't visit porky's house, would buzz buzz have lived?
I suppose theoretically, but I don't think you would be able to get any further in the game.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

elecdude33 wrote:As much as I love Earthbound, I do have to admit that the inventory management could have used some work. There's a good reason why most RPGs give you a lot of inventory space. Even just something like making key items (and perhaps equipment) be stored separately and not take up space that could be used by regular items would have helped a lot.
I like that each kid only has a certain number of slots--I enjoy that aspect of game challenge, especially since there are so few "crucial" items each character needs--the limit exists for consumables (cookies, burgers, etc)...

The part I don't like is how slow it is to trade items between party members. "Jeff took out the Frypan Deluxe and gave it to Paula." Takes too long!! :)
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

XkyRauh wrote:I like that each kid only has a certain number of slots--I enjoy that aspect of game challenge, especially since there are so few "crucial" items each character needs--the limit exists for consumables (cookies, burgers, etc)...

The part I don't like is how slow it is to trade items between party members. "Jeff took out the Frypan Deluxe and gave it to Paula." Takes too long!! :)
I suppose it's possible to look at it that way, I guess it's mostly that I run up against the limit too often when trying to get important items and have to sell or throw away stuff. Although the Escargo Express can help, or the For Sale Sign if you want to sell things.