Making a Fanart: Correct Anatomy of a Vorticon

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
VortiLion
Meep

Making a Fanart: Correct Anatomy of a Vorticon

Post by VortiLion »

Hello fellow Commander Keen fans, name's "VortiLion" and I am an artist.

And one of my current projects is the creation of "modernized" and hi-definition digital artworks of the Commander Keen universe.

One of my particular target right now is the Vorticon race - which made me curious so I want to ask if anyone knows the answer to this?

How many fingers in each paws does a normal vorticon supposed to have? Perhaps it would be better if someone would tell me how exactly their creators (id software) designed them. I just want to make sure that I will correctly draw them in the way they were original made - hoping to remain as faithful to the original Keenery as possible. Thanks.

Sincerely yours in dispensing intergalactic justice,
VortiLion
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Post by Mr. 314 »

i might just join in on this :) i always thought they had two fingers and a thumb, but i could be wrong. after all, i just recently found out i've been pronouncing 'shikadi' wrong all these years :dopekeen
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The end screen picture shows the vorticon's hand.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I vote 2 fingers and a thumb from the artwork.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, I vote for 4 fingers. E.T. has four:

Two or three would be too few. I would also go further and say they also have a fifth undeveloped one.
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Post by Mr. 314 »

hmm yeah, he's doing the rabbit ears, so his other fingers, if any are probably hidden behind keen's helmet. i still think they have at least two fingers and a thumb, but mebbe at most three and a thumb. also, they're canine-aliens so they'd probably have similar physiology and anatomy
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I thought it said somewhere in the Keen games that they do have only three fingers (including a thumb). The fingers are pretty chubby, as you can see on the picture above, so there's simply no room for more fingers.

I'm sure the same applies to toes.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Hmm. Well I did some copy paste work on the mostly visible hand. Could be 2 fingers and a thumb, or 3 fingers and a thumb (somewhere behind the 3)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Funny this should be asked, this came up quite some time ago indeed with a Keener called RocketJess. After some debate Mr hall was contacted (The old fashioned way, email. We didn't have no facenook or mytwitter or whatever you youngsters are using nowadays!)

I no longer have what he said sad to say (That email address has been destroyed.) but his response to us was that they had three digits mostly because that's all that could be easily fit into the low-res graphics Keen uses, but he didn't really care one way or another how many they had. They also have very small, fluffy tails. (Which you will notice in Jess's artwork.)

I personally like less digits, as it's different from the usual cartoon hand of four. I also suggest looking at Jess's and BT's artwork for some awesome vorticon-ness.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I'm going to work on a Vorticon picture. Trying to make it in a similar style to my Garg and Yorp one. It'll probably end up looking similar to how BT drew his.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

In a related question, what would people say a Vorticon's skull looks like?
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Well, what does a Vorticon look like? I've always seen a Vorticon and a humanoid dog, so I'm gonna say the skull seems like that of a dog, but a much bigger cranium.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

chrissifniotis wrote:Well, what does a Vorticon look like? I've always seen a Vorticon and a humanoid dog, so I'm gonna say the skull seems like that of a dog, but a much bigger cranium.
Isn't it described as that somewhere in one of the games?
guynietoren wrote:I'm going to work on a Vorticon picture. Trying to make it in a similar style to my Garg and Yorp one. It'll probably end up looking similar to how BT drew his.
:drool
Looking forward to it!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Keening_Product wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:Well, what does a Vorticon look like? I've always seen a Vorticon and a humanoid dog, so I'm gonna say the skull seems like that of a dog, but a much bigger cranium.
Isn't it described as that somewhere in one of the games?
If it is, I would've forgotten about it; I play the Goodbye Galaxy games much more than Vorticon.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I recall no such description, and my cursory lookover shows no description of them as dogs.