Unused graphics

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Levellass wrote:Grimson, that's an awesome little avatar you have there, may I possibly borrow it for possible use in a game?
Go ahead.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Excellent! Many thanks.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

Here's another one that wasn't used...
My keyboard has no caps lock. It has a BRIAN BLESSED button!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I had to animate it out of curiosity. It'd probably look better if I made a moving background for it also.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

Well, that's close, the first frame where the legs are even is actually not part of the walking animation, but just a standing frame.

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I actually quite like the jauntyness of the improperly animated one - somehow suits a robot-type-thing.

Very nice drawing, anyway!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

fantomx11 wrote:Well, that's close, the first frame where the legs are even is actually not part of the walking animation, but just a standing frame.

Ah okay, yeah that makes more sense now.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

I figure it'd be best to ask, but can anybody who's making graphics for no particular reason post stuff in this thread? I don't want to steal your thunder fantom haha. If so, I have a few sprites I've been playing around with and I don't think I really need to make a whole new thread for 'em.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

Well it is named "unused graphics" not "fantomx11's unused graphics" soooo I guess it's okay.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Sweet deal :) Didn't figure it'd a problem.

Here's a little snake a drew in the last hour or so. Didn't bother to save the lineart or basic floodfill as i usually do, but here's some evolution of the shading. I kinda have this thing where I add too much shading and make it overly complicated for no reason, so I really like to hear what style of shading people like the best. (Just a quick note on number 2+, when I taught myself to pixel, along with the help of another certain forum completely focused of pixel art, I was taught that dithering was the devil, and that it ruined sprites. I attempted some minor dithering in this thing because i'll be damned if it doesn't add more depth. I also find that a lot of commander keen sprites, both official and made by the talented modders here feature dithering as a shading style almost entirely. tl;dr: i never dither, how's it look?)

1: Image

2: Image

3: Image

4: Image

5: Image

Now, 4 and 5 might not look all that different, but in 5 I removed most of the internal black lines (minus the nostrils).

Oh, and this is really my first attempt ever at making something "keenish", especially in the EGA palette. I'm not exactly sure if I captured the feeling as it were.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

that's a cool snake. it reminds me of the snakes in mario 2

i'd never worked in EGA colors either, until I joined the Keen community. in fact i'd never really done pixel art. My workflow usually goes Inkscape for the basic graphics, then to GIMP for reducing the palette and minor touch up if needed. I generally let GIMP do the dithering because I prefer the random look of the dithering method I use (GIMP has three dithering methods)
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

fantomx11 wrote:that's a cool snake. it reminds me of the snakes in mario 2
Holy crap, I didn't notice it while I was drawing it but damn, you're right haha. That gives me an idea... i kinda thought it was missing something...

Image Tooonnnggguuueee.

And here's a very angry any, with black outlines inside

and again without the black outlines on the inside (mostly).

I'm not exactly happy with this, but eh. It's really hard to make good use of only 16 colours. Oh well, any help with changes or improvements are loved.

Oh, and it's an alien ant, that's why it has eight legs. I totally didn't have a brain fart when I started drawing it.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I'm sorry to do this to you, but ants have six legs, feelers, three distinct body sections and no nose :P

I am reminded of a Monty Python clip: http://montypython.50webs.com/scripts/Series_4/9.htm
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Keening_Product wrote:I'm sorry to do this to you, but ants have six legs, feelers, three distinct body sections and no nose :P

I am reminded of a Monty Python clip: http://montypython.50webs.com/scripts/Series_4/9.htm
Ah but alien ants are weird as hell, and have crazy-ass bulbous noses, one body section, and eight legs :p I'm pretty sure ants don't have tongues either, but I'll be damned if alien ants don't! :D

I haven't watched Monty Python in forever, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to watch sketches for hours on youtube now... thanks for the time-sink. :drool
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well hey, at least it's not a half-any (Called Eric.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.