When Boobus Tuber was just a spud

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Eros wrote:short range hadoken?
This reminds me of how Keen's Vorticon pistol is revealed to have multiple settings in Keen Dreams. Perhaps the ability to change gun settings, with more powerful shots using up more ammo, would be interesting.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Eros wrote:
troublesomekeen wrote:Hmm.... Time to do some brainstorming.
mario shoes (stun enemies by stomping on them, can be swapped with pogo)
sanic speed
sonic ring shield (getting hit by an enemy causes you to spill all your ammo, but you survive
short range hadoken?
aggro-stealth (kind of like the decoy, but any enemy chasing you automatically reverts to passive state). you can still get harmed by enemies walking by you, and you can't move while stealth is active
Sanic speed?

What exactly do you mean by 'short range hadoken'? Is it some sort of fireball that would only go halfway across the screen? Because that's easy to do.

Pogoing to stun enemies would work too, as would the sonic ring, I assume you want Keen's ammo to spill out as raygun items?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Levellass wrote:As a totally unrelated side note, what abilities would it be cool for Keen to have? (Say an airboard like in Cosmo, or crawling like in Monster Bash.)
Antigravity running shoes.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

Levellass wrote: Sanic speed?

What exactly do you mean by 'short range hadoken'? Is it some sort of fireball that would only go halfway across the screen? Because that's easy to do.

Pogoing to stun enemies would work too, as would the sonic ring, I assume you want Keen's ammo to spill out as raygun items?
sanic speed is a mutated joke on sonic. keen would just go really fast.

yeah, short range blast, melee weapon, that kind of stuff.
really weak, but usable when nothing better's available

keen's ammo would spill out (as if they're thrown), so they all disappear within a few seconds.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

troublesomekeen wrote:
lemm wrote:If you complete the set, I can add them into Netkeen: Dreams.
Sweet. Just finished Climbing Up Pole frames. Just Ledge, Enter Door, Slide Down Pole, Shoot on Pole, and Shoot Up and Down to go.
I'm procrastinating big-time on finishing the Tater Trooper. But I will get it done soon now that late hours are free again.
Also, another character to consider adding would be our favorite Panting Flower
http://youtu.be/332VAQE1kv8
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So there will be bee enemies? You can use the ones in Zoltan.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I imagine the enemies would mainly be more vegetables.

My initial thoughts were to pit Veggie/Fruit against Flower/Plant in a pre-Dreams 3-part-boobus-bombtastic-trilogy opening with The Rise of the King: Boobus Tuber, in which he breaks the power of Flower Kingdom to gain control of all the ingredients necessary to activate the Dream Machine, and establishes Castle Tuberia. Thus ends the 1st episode, playing as King Tuber.

With a complete and fully operational Dream Machine in the vile grips of King Tuber, human children are pulled out of their world into random locations scattered all throughout Tuberia. The wickedly over-sized potato king commands his brigade of Tater Troopers to seek out all the children and bring them back to Castle Tuberia. You play as a Tater Trooper in this second episode, traveling across Tuberia from bedsite to bedsite subduing resistant and panicky kids. Your travels eventually take you to outskirts of Tuberia where you mistakenly get mixed up in some awfully aromatic Flower Power, changing you, the Tater Trooper, into what we know as a Panting Flower, ending the 2nd episode in climatic, thunderous fashion.

The Flower Power, however, does not ware off. You manage to climb inside a pot and become.... The Potted Flower. In a state of wilting frenzy, you return to King Tuber in hopes that he may have the power the cure to your flowery disposition. But the King is FURIOUS to see a Flower in his court and chases you away. Even your old Tater Trooper friends, Frenchy and the rest of the gang laughs and mistreats you. The third and final episode begins when Potted Flower resolves to help free the enslaved children of earth and prevent anymore kids from being captured. Potted Flower cannot hope to free the children inside Tuber's castle without a companion, so he decides to hop his way to a bedsite in hopes to recruit a partner.
Potted Flower successfully arrives at a new bedsite before the Tater Troopers do (fighting veggies along the way) wakes the boy from sleep, hastily explains to the boy the Dream Machine Scheme -- but then the Tater Troopers, who have been angrily seeking Potting Flower, arrive and clasp the boy and Potted Flower in chains.
As they are led to Castle Tuberia, Potted Flower manages to distract the Troopers and the boy runs away.

That same boy stumbles upon the bedsite of Commander Keen, and the third episode closes there. Well, we know the rest of the story. Keen defeats Tuber, deactivates the Dream Machine and rescues all the children.
Heh... I don't like it. The boy-in-chains should come from a jail-break specifically from Tuber's Castle. I'll have to re-think a few things...

Question: How does the boy-in-chains recognize Keen?

EDIT: Okay, now work has resumed on the Tater Trooper. I'm really striking out on these harder frames. At least the Shooting Down sprite turned out alright. Just Ledge, Sliding Down Pole, Shoot on Pole, and Keen 5 platform sprites left.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!