Calling All Musicians

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
lemm
Blorb

Calling All Musicians

Post by lemm »

Hello,

I'm making keen mod-thing atm. It's sooper dooper secret but I need a bunch of new songs. If you would like to make some IMF files, lemme know in this thread or PM me.

Thanks!!!!!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Oh man. Botafloria is so gonna get crushed by whatever you're making, even if it's a 1 level levelpack or a keen 1 remake.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Okay.. so... I've got a lot of new Keen tunes in my head and on the piano. So now it's a matter of making a MIDI (I have Finale) and then converting the MIDI to an IMF? Is that right? Pretty sure. Tweaking the sound of each instrument is done in IMFCreator? I'll get to work on this as soon as I can.

Oh, and the length? What's a good limit? A 30-second tune? And it has to loop proper. How many measures is that? Is there an IMF tutorial? Is one needed? Perhaps it's self explanatory. Just have to play with it a bit, right?
Cool stuff, lemm. Would it be a Keen Day Release? ohmywow!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

IMF creator stuff: Wolf3D format, 560 ticks/sec
Yes it should loop well. When converted the size must not exceed 32 kb. If it does, the IMF plays ingame normally at first, then abruptly ends and doesn't loop.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The musician I'm working with currently does folk music, probably not your thing though.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Tried a bit of something based on You've got to Eat your Vegetables. Workin' on it.

Me thinks I'll have a little trouble with percussion, but I might get lucky. I need a cord that plugs in from piano/keyboard to computer. It would be much faster... *scanning Ebay*
Levellass wrote:The musician I'm working with currently does folk music, probably not your thing though.
IMF folk music? Can't possibly sound too bad, right? Oh! Just remembered! By the way! I was wondering about that musician you work with. How do you cooperate? He comes up with the tune and makes it into a MIDI? And then he sends it to you? And then you convert it to IMF?
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Well I need some puzzly-sounding percussive type music, some energizing music with a driving beat, a tune with a martial sort of mood, some 12-bar blues (it's not keen without 12 bar blues), and a bunch of garden-variety upbeat tunes like you would find in an Apogee game.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

I'd be more than happy to contribute some tunes! I've been feeling pretty Keen lately, what with Suburb Shenanigans and all. Will you be setting up a Dropbox or something? However you decide to manage it, count me in!

And @TK, there is a list of IMF tips squirreled away in the Keen 9: BOTB Dropbox, but maybe a full tutorial wouldn't be a bad idea! What with the recent explosion in mods with original music, it might not hurt to even add an "IMF / Music" subforum to Keen:Modding.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I know Gamebird would appreciate some more tips like that for Atroxian Realm.

Back on topic: I'll be super busy in the next few weeks, but catch me at a good time and I'll be happy to help with the secret project. Good luck getting some good music.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

lemm wrote:I need some puzzly-sounding percussive type music, some energizing music with a driving beat, a tune with a martial sort of mood, some 12-bar blues (it's not keen without 12 bar blues), and a bunch of garden-variety upbeat tunes like you would find in an Apogee game.
Puzzles, huh? Should'ha known! There you have me. All this time I was thinking up silly flopsy, tipsy topsy, swurvy turvey music.
thehackercat wrote:TK, there is a list of IMF tips squirreled away in the Keen 9: BOTB Dropbox
Squirreled!? That's 40 pages! Oh well, I should have gone through it all by now anyways.
Mamba Snake!!!!!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

IMF folk music? Can't possibly sound too bad, right? Oh! Just remembered! By the way! I was wondering about that musician you work with. How do you cooperate? He comes up with the tune and makes it into a MIDI? And then he sends it to you? And then you convert it to IMF?
Bjorn I gave ideas to, he made MIDIs then I converted. TJ was more involved, I could give him feedback so he could make the MIDIs better. Finally Barry has a copy of my converter so is working on converting and tuning them at his end. An awesome result of this is this wonderful ditty here, 'The Water Is Wide' https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/watrwide.imf

Sadly due to memory limits I may have to scrap his music :(
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

I'll be! The Water Is Wide sounds greeeaaaat! Waaaaaiiit, that tune sounds familiar. At first I had no idea how to play an IMF, but then I thought... why not just patch it into mah mod to give it a proper listen? jolly good idea!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

hey i do music. i can help out or whatever (i wouldnt want to do too much though) for anyone. also its pretty easy making music imo. i use Cakewalk Express, uh, 3, i think. it was made for Windows 3.1 but it works great and i still use it (i find it far easier to use than later versions).
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I'll be! The Water Is Wide sounds greeeaaaat! Waaaaaiiit, that tune sounds familiar
I'm quite sure I said we were doing folk music... I also have 'Blow the man down' and 'What to do with a drunken sailor' for the pirate mod. We don't want to do anything too original for this soundtrack as it may need 30 songs and may be scrapped if memory bugs persist. Maybe if we can get things to fit an original tune will sneak in.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Levellass wrote:Sadly due to memory limits I may have to scrap his music :(
you dont have to. i can always cut out bits of it to make it smaller.
(you helped me with patches quite a lot so i wouldnt mind helping you out with stuff.)