What's your favourite Keen Galaxy platform tileset?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
lemm
Blorb

What's your favourite Keen Galaxy platform tileset?

Post by lemm »

I am curious as to which platform tileset you all like the most. By "platform tileset," I am talking about a certain set of platform tiles that appears in a single Keen episode. For example, Keen 5 had the red platforms, the green platforms, and the yellow-and-black hazard platforms. You can pick from any Keen Galaxy or Dreams game or mod.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Hmm I'd say I prefer the ones in Keen4 and also the ones in Keen5 and Keen9, the latter two being quite similar.

Although the broomstick in Valentine's Keen is the coolest transportation in Keen, except maybe the foot!

Interesting question indeed!

EDIT: oh I thought you meant moving platform sprites for some reason, mustn't have read your post properly. Butl okay those probably are still my favourites for 'land'/'terrain' in Galaxy/UTUIT except that I don't actually think that Keen5 and Keen9 look the same. Keen9 is a masterpiece and surpasses the artistic vision of Keen4-6. But despite that Keen4 is the one that captures the childhood imagination. (Well actually Keen1 does but we're talking Galaxy here)!
Last edited by Benvolio on Sun Mar 10, 2013 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I like the Keen 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 platform tilesets the most.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hmm... A lot to choose from. I like the Slug Village tileset, but the grass bordering the brown dirt looks a bit flat. The Miragia tileset? Not enough slopes. The DitD tilesets really stand out. There's a cool underground purple one. Oh, and there's the mindbending crystal one from Keen 9. I've never seen a tileset that branched out into different paths until I advanced past Yetisburg. (I hadn't progress far enough in Keen 8 to see the cool sloping red desert tileset in the mountain level at the time.) I really, really like tilesets that branch out.

Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Red rock tiles from DOTD. Why did I never think of that?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

I say the Shikadi homeworld from Keen 9, if only because it's done well for being a crystal floor (and because it's purple).
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Hmmm...don't know for sure, maybe the gray arrow tiles in Keen9
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Ah ha! I forgot about some tilesets that I especially like! Keen Dreams XMAS 2010 has excellent tiles! And even does that 'branching off into different paths' business.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!