The META engine for a hypothetical Keen-related game

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

The META engine for a hypothetical Keen-related game

Post by Shadow Master »

For avoiding unrelated clutter in the original thread, I decided to post this here, in the hopes of me making some sluggish progress now or in the future.
jimmyjames wrote:Anything on the meta engine? :o
It is still in Development Hell, I fear. The base code has been rewritten several times by me and I still don't get anything "playable" besides a funny title-screen. At the moment, after a long break from it, I'm writing from scratch a clone of Wesnoth's markup/event/scripting language's parser, preprocessor and abstraction layer (with my own extensions, specially to the preprocessor and parser), so no hopes of getting a demo any soon. The tileset manager code is not working properly either (the slicer n' dicer system is retrieving only tile 0 for some reason... I'll return to that soon).

It also underwent a small licensing issue (which is why I decided to rewrite the parser, preprocessor and config/abstractor from scratch rather than reuse the original GNU GPL 2 licensed code) due to me using GNU GPL 3. The Wesnoth project itself saw no problem with it, but I prefer to avoid confusion to the general audience (users and hackers).

I have set-up a local subversion repository for tracking changes in the source code and (few) data files anyway, and once I get something playable I'm probably going to throw it into some secure free software development project infrastructure (as long as it is not Gna.org, *we* the Wesnoth developers have too many bad experiences with its tech support staff).
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Finished the basics of the game-building-language (WML+extensions) preprocessor, and I'm implementing the conditionals as described in this whitepaper.

The project will probably need a rename though... I cannot register it in code.google.com because there is already a completely different project in SF.net under the same name ("meta"). :celtic

But yeah, still alive and working.
jimmyjames
Vortininja

Post by jimmyjames »

Nice can't wait!
Forget it.