Sonic vs Keen: Strategy

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

Who would win? Sonic or Keen

Sonic
5%
Keen
55%
It's complicated
40%

Total votes: 20

Levellass
S-Triazine

Sonic vs Keen: Strategy

Post by Levellass »

think this would be an interesting intellectual exercise. And if it's one thing Keen encourages us to do, it's mental exercise. (You don't want to be a mental wimp now do you?)

So a head-to-head fight between Sonic and Keen would be a bit of a wash, Keen is slow, fragile and not one for possessing weapons of mass destruction. one-on-one Sonic would likely win, even without powerups.

But that's not how wars are fought now is it? And if there's one advantage Keen has it's brainpower and the ability to plan ahead. Keen wouldn't be stupid enough to show up unprepared.

So, given that both combatants have a month's warning of the duel and are given an entire uninhabited (but habitable planet) to duel on AND are able to research their opponent's abilities from the games that have been released, what do you think would happen? What strategies would they employ and who do you think would have the best chance of winning?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Mario.

These kind of questions are :barf
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I was going to respond to you in the other thread, but I'll do so here (since its part of my answer to this thread question as well).
Levellass wrote:Keen I figure would simply blast Mobius from space or freeze time or build a machine that's all covered in spikes. (No weak spot! Beat THAT Sonic1) Keen is, after all, no Eggman, he's actually intelligent. It'd be the ultimate brains vs brawn. (Or physical speed at least.)
There's always a weak spot in those kind of contraptions, and they still sound really Robotnik-esque. He'd be better off tricking Sonic into going super, then using Robotnik's contraption from Sonic Unleashed that drained the emerald energy, turning Sonic into the mortal Were-hog.

Robotnik actually could've won in the opening scene of Sonic Unleashed, but he jettisoned Sonic back onto Earth, instead of finishing him off. So Keen could easily lure Sonic into that trap and just kill him (if he was a killing kind of man). You gotta go with what has worked.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Keen: Shoot a gun at Sonic.
Sonic: Approach keen at a 45 degree angle.
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

Post by Slayterdawg »

Keen would win
Super intelligent guy with a gun (sounds like a Law Abiding Citizen)

Let's throw Jazz into the mix.
He's a blend of Keen and Sonic.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

Sonic would team up with Keen and Billy the Blazehog to destroy Mortimer, their common enemy :mort
I'm the cool blue keener.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Slayterdawg wrote:Keen would win
Super intelligent guy with a gun (sounds like a Law Abiding Citizen)
Well lots of Robotnik's enemies and contraptions have had ranged weapons so that wouldn't win by default. Being that Sonic is the fastest thing alive (if this is to be a balanced fight, we'd have to hold that assumption true), I'm sure that would also mean he has super fast reflexes.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i dont think theres any more strategy in your average keen game than a sonic game. keen is just another run and gun platformer really.
sure the character is a kid genius but it has no bearing on the actual gameplay.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Bernie wrote:sure the character is a kid genius but it has no bearing on the actual gameplay.
Idea sparks flying now.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

When comparing 2 video game characters, intelligence and reflexes are based on the person playing the game. So it boils down to the limits of gameplay mechanics and if each character has a counter against each others' tactics.

Sonic has more endurance as he doesn't die after getting hit, provided he has rings. He also has the advantage of horizontal speed.
Disadvantage is that he has to jump on top of things to attack. (unless I'm mistaken)

Keen Galaxy has the advantage of jumping high and a gun which can be fired rather fast. Disadvantages are one hit kills and limited ammo.
Sight distance makes a difference also, but I'm not sure the difference between the 2 games.

Keen's limited ammo might balance out with Sonic's endurance. But I see Keen winning on a flat surface. Sonic can't win without getting into close range, and that depends on Keens reflexes as he can jump higher than Sonic. Attacking vertically, Keen has the advantage when either above or below Sonic.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

guynietoren wrote: Sight distance makes a difference also, but I'm not sure the difference between the 2 games.
going off average player-to-screen size ratio, I think Keen has a slight advantage
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

guynietoren wrote:When comparing 2 video game characters, intelligence and reflexes are based on the person playing the game. So it boils down to the limits of gameplay mechanics and if each character has a counter against each others' tactics.

Sonic has more endurance as he doesn't die after getting hit, provided he has rings. He also has the advantage of horizontal speed.
Disadvantage is that he has to jump on top of things to attack. (unless I'm mistaken)

Keen Galaxy has the advantage of jumping high and a gun which can be fired rather fast. Disadvantages are one hit kills and limited ammo.
Sight distance makes a difference also, but I'm not sure the difference between the 2 games.

Keen's limited ammo might balance out with Sonic's endurance. But I see Keen winning on a flat surface. Sonic can't win without getting into close range, and that depends on Keens reflexes as he can jump higher than Sonic. Attacking vertically, Keen has the advantage when either above or below Sonic.
But he can't hurt super sonic.
I'm the cool blue keener.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Cobalt wrote:But he can't hurt super sonic.
Hence why my solution from Sonic Unleashed works.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

The thought of a Sonic vs Keen battle is just completely and totally ridiculous, sorry to say.

I can't see why they'd be fighting each other at all.

That, and... well it's just a ridiculous thought, an 8 year old genius fighting a fast, blue hedgehog? I can see Robotnik fighting Sonic, but not Keen, it just makes no sense, and with the style of the two games, it just doesn't add up.

If it were Sonic vs Jazz Jackrabbit, then it would make a little more sense.

And then I'd give the victory to Jazz. (C'mon, it's a bunny with a gun. And he's pretty dang fast too, not sure if his speed matches up to Sonic, but he's sure fast. And again, gun.)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Boreas249 wrote:I can't see why they'd be fighting each other at all.
Maybe its like an alternate timeline and Mortimer has tricked Sonic into killing Tails...