Possible mod/levelpack LP

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

Which one?

Poll ended at Tue May 28, 2013 3:30

Martinez McMeyer 2
14%
Yet Another Keen 3 Levelpack
29%
Keen Dash
50%
Other (Post and describe, NOT episode Smile or Keen Q)
7%

Total votes: 14

Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Possible mod/levelpack LP

Post by Flyingmouse »

Ok, I'm thinking about doing a let's play over a few of the mods/levelpacks here, but I'd like your opinion on it first.

Right now I have...

Martinez McMeyer 2- Original thread here.
This one is the only one of the three I've selected that I played through without cheating, and I preferred this to the other episodes in the trilogy. It sets a rather eerie atmosphere (those fire elves... :furious), and while the graphics are a little straining on the eyes, it made for a rather enjoyable experience overall. However, there is one thing I should note- there are a couple places one could get stuck

Yet Another Keen 3 Levelpack- Original thread here.
:barf
I have no idea what in blazes I was thinking when creating these levels, but I tried playing through this a while back, and some of them are absolutely hellish. This especially applies to the water fortress and Caves of Oblivion remake (10+ minute levels FTL), and I still haven't beaten the last level yet (I do know it's doable, though). If you want to see me really frustrated, pick this.

Keen Dash- Original thread here.
The sequel to Episode X and Null, Keen Dash is among the first of the mods based off a gimmick patch; specifically, this uses the Ankh as a timer. Graphics, as expected of Xky, are fantastic, and its level design was pretty good from what I remember (I haven't played it in several years...); however, it's also rather hard, which is bad for me as I'm awful at Keen games. :bloody

I'll leave this poll open for a month; if it gets enough/no reponses, I'll close it early. If you have any suggestions for other mods or can help me with the let's play process, then please post. I'd appreciate it. :)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

great to hear

but man, if you download the Martinez pack, in the ultimate version of Mart2 you can no longer get stuck as I put fire under the level, so you die instead of getting stuck
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I say Keen Dash that was the first mod I played
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Keen Dash.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Gotta say Dash, if only because it's fun to see a man's spirit broken.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

YAK3LP
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

BUMP :tired

I don't see any reason to run the poll for much longer; the general consensus is for me to do Keen: Dash first. I might be able to do this at some point this month (maybe tomorrow if I'm lucky), but it might take a while.

I'm curious about what other mods or levelpacks people want me to try (apart from the ones already listed)- if you can give suggestions, that'd be nice.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Well, I would -- naturally -- advice you to try and play every Keen mod made. But one that's really amazing and one of the best is Clouds Unseen.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

The Onward Silcar trilogy by Tulip looks cool. I haven't played that one yet.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

Sigh... :old

I wish I could say I'll be getting to this soon, but I have a lot of stuff going on in the next two or three weeks. I might be able to get to this in mid-July or so.

As well as the initial 3, I'll try to do:

1. Silicar series (quadrilogy? I wasn't that interested in the series, but I've heard positive things about it)
2. Lego Keen (I kinda have to do this one, this is among the first I ever played)
3. Keen 8 (I currently have no intention of doing 7 or 9)
4. The Fastest Gun in the Universe

I should be able to get most of these finished in one or two sittings, barring probably YAK3LP and Keen 8, so updating should remain moderately quick.one year later...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well it's not like we're all waiting on tenterhooks, desperate for this to be done. Take your good time.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

I know; I'm just frustrated because I planned on getting this done by the end of the month.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

:dead2

...I'm gonna have to scrap this project for right now. Seriously, I haven't done anything on it for the last month or so, and I can't get my recording software to do anything properly.

Sorry guys. :(