ckguy & Mink's Keen 5 Audio-only LP

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

ckguy & Mink's Keen 5 Audio-only LP

Post by ckguy »

A few months ago, on the evening on March 9, I was visiting Mink IRL, and we decided to record an audio-only LP of Keen 5. I'd wanted to do one of these for a while, and then several months ago I heard and was entertained by the partial Keen 4 audio-only LP that Draik/TerminILL recorded in late 2010. It works as a medium, I think. If the listener is already quite familiar with the game, if the LPer takes a little extra care to describe what's going on, and if the listener doesn't mind the focus being more on the LPer chatting on about random stuff, then it works.

So what ended up happening on March 9 was I played through all of Keen 5 (including the secret level) on Normal, while Mink and I chatted about what was happening in the game, about Keen level design, and about other various things. I used savestates (hopefully without abusing them) to help move things along a little faster, but (partially because of some big conversational detours while the game was paused) the recording still is an hour and a half long. I also accidentally recorded it through my internal laptop microphone instead of through the microphone I'd attached specifically for recording this (yeah I know, noob mistake), so the sound quality is a bit questionable. Some driver was automatically doing some heavy-duty noise removal, so the whole thing sounds a bit like it's underwater. And (presumably because of some anti-feedback feature), after some particularly loud noises in the recording (mostly Mink and me putting down our mugs of scotch) there is a weird echo on the following speech. Anyway, this thing is not the greatest recording technically, but it captures some good times.

Then a few weeks ago I finally completed the not-actually-necessary task of splitting up the file by level, and so here it is. http://files.zapzot.net/stuff/ckguy-and ... h-2013.zip Kind of NSFW. I also may or may not say uncharitable things about a few keeners from time to time. (If you are one of these keeners, and it would make you feel better to hear that I didn't mean it, then: I didn't mean it.) If you want to follow along at home, the first things you hear are piano (played by Mink), 'Alright, that's the best start right there piano for no reason' (said by me), and 'Oh wait you're going' (said by Mink). Near the beginning of the LP I also mention as a potential 'bonus track' an audio-only LP of Ion Ventilation System starring me and my dad from 1994. This ended up not happening, but I might still upload that here sometime. I already have a digitized version of the tape it was recorded to; it's mostly a matter of cleaning up some nasty analog hiss and whatnot.

So this thing is pretty self-indulgent. Mink and I had a grand time. A couple of other people - TerminILL and Kdash (remember him?) - have already heard it. But here you go. One and a half hours of kinda talking about Commander Keen.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This LP impinges my reputation and character. The things said are not printable here. I should be very cross if they weren't so darn true.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I can imagine how you guys play now hearing you die a thousand times. It's 1 step, 1 savestate, 1 jump, 1 savestate....
The whole happening is a historical occation (or if it's Mr. Kulich's comoderator live on radio speaking: "seminal"), Keeners that haven't known each other before pckf meeting irl. The first step towards an actual keencon.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I don't know what I was expecting. Was able to follow where you were in the levels relatively well from memory. A few interesting things said, not really entertaining though :dopefish I've said this before, but Mink is the exact same person IRL as online.

Also Ilsoap left because he was getting married, IIRC.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

tulip wrote:I can imagine how you guys play now hearing you die a thousand times. It's 1 step, 1 savestate, 1 jump, 1 savestate....
The whole happening is a historical occation (or if it's Mr. Kulich's comoderator live on radio speaking: "seminal"), Keeners that haven't known each other before pckf meeting irl. The first step towards an actual keencon.
From what I've understood, Gridlock and I didn't live that far apart until I moved in mid-December 2012. And Paramultart wasn't that far away, either. Missed opportunities...

On-topic reply: Giving this a listen. Will edit this post when I've heard everything. Better not have said any nonsense about me :dead
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall