KeenWiki - rating system for mods

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

I gave Szemi's mods 5 stars.
I'm the cool blue keener.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I don't think we should think of it as rating for the articles at all. Nobody looking for mods to play is interested in how good the articles are, and nobody who's made a mod wants a rating that reflects only how good the article for it is. By that logic we should have ratings for every page.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I don't think anybody was discussing "article ratings". Just that the system was borrowed there.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I'm still working on the presentation style for this - I don't like the way it lists the ratings (it doesn't look very good) so I'm working on some new code to allow the appearance to be customised.

In the meantime, you can see a list of ratings which is supposed to show the top rated pages, but seems to be in random order so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I hope it won't be too much longer until I get the most recommended mods onto the front page.

And Szemi, since the ratings are for players new to Keen mods, maybe yours only got one star because they're hard and better aimed at Keen experts instead :-)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Malvineous wrote: And Szemi, since the ratings are for players new to Keen mods, maybe yours only got one star because they're hard and better aimed at Keen experts instead :-)
You know, some people say my levels are easy, some say hard. Cannot decide whether I should make levels or not.
Yeah, piece of cake!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

This notion has made me think that it could encourage modders/level makers/... to make their modifications less challenging than they currently are on average.

I guess it is one of these "for" and "against" topics again. Well, at least for modifications of Keen 4-6 and Dreams, it can be good to let the chosen difficulty tell everything. With simple patching, difficulty names can further be renamed if one desired. I actually applied that once... to some non-Keen level pack. (It can be found in these forums since it is powered by a variant of the Galaxy engine. Not telling much more than that as it's off-topic.)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

The Keen Wiki won't let me vote. Whenever I try to give Szemi five stars, the voting icons simply disappear. When I refresh the page, my vote did not register. I have tried this on two different computers now.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Have you tried in a different browser? I didn't write the code so I'm not sure how it works but it is JavaScript based, so you'll need JS enabled in your browser for it to work.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Is voting maybe only possible when you are logged in? I'm not sure if that could be a problem.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

tulip wrote:Is voting maybe only possible when you are logged in? I'm not sure if that could be a problem.
I had this problem when I first tried voting. See if you're logged in or not.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

ah, I see. You do have to log in to vote; GOOD!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

How will I ever vote for my own future mods more than once when the rating system has a glitch like that???
I'm the cool blue keener.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Nice repurposing of a different rating system! Is there an easy way to get the ratings to show up in a column on the mod list pages?
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Not at present but I'm hoping to come up with something for this. I just hope it doesn't slow the page down so much it takes forever to load!