KeenWiki - rating system for mods

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

KeenWiki - rating system for mods

Post by Malvineous »

Hi all,

I was thinking that the way the wiki is structured at the moment, it doesn't really lend itself to newcomers stumbling across many of the fine mods we have listed. There tend to be so many in a big long list, people may not know where to start.

To help with this, I have just added a vote/rating link to the infobox attached to most mod pages. I would like to ask anyone who can spare a few minutes to go and rate their favourite mods, so we can get some ratings in the system (and yes if you are the author you are welcome to rate your own mods five out of five!) You will have to be logged in to your wiki account to vote, otherwise it won't count.

Once enough ratings have been cast, I will update the main page with a list of the highest rated mods as these should be the ones that give the best impression to those new to the community. So when you are deciding on a rating, keep in mind that the higher you rate a mod, the more you are recommending it to someone who has not played many (or any) mods.

If anyone has any other suggestions or comments about this, please let me know.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

The ratings idea is great! I know it's not really a Wiki thing, but can you allow a 25 word recommendation thing too, or (possibly more appropriately) links to the official PCKF thread in the infobox?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

*five stars all the martinez mods*
I'm the cool blue keener.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Cool. Since the engines and the mods themselves are so different, can Vorticons and Galaxy mods be featured seperately? Keen Dreams mods could be grouped with Galaxy, since there are few in both categories and they are somewhat similar.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I second this. Ranking Vorticon mods against Galaxy mods seems like just asking for skewed results.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

lol someone has voted my mod 2 out of 5 stars
So when you are deciding on a rating, keep in mind that the higher you rate a mod, the more you are recommending it to someone who has not played many (or any) mods.
hmm but what about really difficult mods? for example some of Keenrush's mods deserve a high rating but would be a nightmare to play for new players. so it might be a good idea to have a difficulty rating too maybe, but that might overcomplicate things.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

We're talking people new to mods here - not the actual games. Difficulty shouldn't be an issue. :)
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Cool idea... However, I had a go at doing a bit of voting and, well, it turns out that some of the mods are not represented by full articles, but just stubs. The voting doesn't work on stubs. So just to let you guys know that the comparison/ranking is not quite on the level.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Some of the mods do link to the PCKF thread, typically this is done by making the release date a link to the announcement thread. If a link here is missing, please feel free to add it.

The voting system works based on categories, so at the moment all the mods are categorised by episode, so a top-ten list would be made up of top ten Keen 1 mods, top ten Keen 2 mods, etc. We'd have to add new categories to have a combined top-ten for all Vorticon episodes for example, but then if someone only has the shareware episodes perhaps it's better to leave it split by episode.

Many mods are represented by stubs or even no page at all, so I am also hoping that this encourages people to "fill in the blanks" so to speak :-)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, if mod pages were my thing I should fill all of them. (But they aren't so I won't.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The system's broken! I can't give 0 stars to Keen GBC :x
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's because anything Keen, no matter how bad, deserves at least one star.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

This is going to sound silly, but where is the rating system? I went to the mods list on the Keen wiki and I don't see what you guys are talking about.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

You have to actually go to the page for each individual mod, where it will be on the template at right (I don't think the ratings will be added to the cumulative list until enough have been collected.)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Levellass wrote:Indeed, if mod pages were my thing I should fill all of them. (But they aren't so I won't.)
Hmm... I should make this my thing. I think I would enjoy it. The mods' authors really have the inside scoop though.
Some of the best mods ever made came out this year. I'll be dashed.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!