strange warp cheat problem

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

strange warp cheat problem

Post by szemi »

Hmm, it's the strangest I've seen.

I changed the level entry text of the High Scores level in Keen 6, which is okay, no problem with that.
But... the problem is when I use the warp cheat and press number "1" on the keyboard(not NumPad1!), "G" appears instead of "1". And this problem happened to some other buttons I pressed as well.

But what the heck causes this?
Yeah, piece of cake!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Is the new level entry text longer than the original?

If yes, then it seems like you have overwritten another part of the EXE. Checking its contents, following a mention of the (original) high scores message within the EXE file, what reminds of a QWERTY keyboard layout follows, which is not surprising considering your report.

Basically, there are two solutions:
1. Just keep with no more than the space originally allocated for the text.
2. Alternatively, it is possible to try and play with pointers to level names, thus having some more control over the available space for text in the EXE. That should really be done wisely, though! For reference, looks like this page has such lists of pointers: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:L ... 8Galaxy%29
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I notice nothing wrong int he demonstration folder.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

yeah i once had basically the exact same problem. you have patch code overwriting code that assigns keys to letters. maybe try turning off patches until it starts working properly again, so you know what code is causing it.