Erm....

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

grown up drunk Keen! come on :(
Commander Shriek
Vortininja

Post by Commander Shriek »

Bernie wrote:grown up drunk Keen! come on :(

:lol
SHRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

troublesomekeen wrote: Image
Heh, neat.

I was thinking that Keen, Mort, Spot, and maybe one other Character (Lindsey?) would be the first four characters that could be playable in any episode. The second set of four characters would be unique to that episode. For example, Netkeen CKV already has four characters made by Ceilick (vorticon, elite, ninja, and android). I don't think I would want any non-canonical characters. Playing as a Keg of Vitalin would be hilarious too :mortlol
Commander Shriek
Vortininja

lemm wrote:
troublesomekeen wrote: Image
Heh, neat.

I was thinking that Keen, Mort, Spot, and maybe one other Character (Lindsey?) would be the first four characters that could be playable in any episode. The second set of four characters would be unique to that episode. For example, Netkeen CKV already has four characters made by Ceilick
(vorticon, elite, ninja, and android). I don't think I would want any non-canonical characters. Playing as a Keg of Vitalin would be hilarious too
:mortlol
Playing as vitalin?

YOU'D BE IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL :p
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

You can kill a keg of Vitalin just by touching it. Does you a lot of good though.
Commander Shriek
Vortininja

StupidBunny wrote:You can kill a keg of Vitalin just by touching it. Does you a lot of good though.
:lol
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I demand a NetKeen mod where all of the playable characters and inanimate objects.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

lemm wrote:Heh, neat.
I was thinking that Keen, Mort, Spot, and maybe one other Character (Lindsey?) would be the first four characters that could be playable in any episode. The second set of four characters would be unique to that episode. I don't think I would want any non-canonical characters. Playing as a Keg of Vitalin would be hilarious too
I know, right? I just love planning, forming lists and making up charts. Making these things a reality is another matter. :o
I totally agree with you, Lemm. An updated version of the Character Cast might look something like this:

Waaaaait a second. What about Lt. Barker? He'll have to fill out an application.
Bernie wrote:grown up drunk Keen!
Oh. Sorry about that, Bernie. I totally snubbed you there. The thing is, I don't know how touchy NetKeen is with bigger sprites. I'll have to tinker around with it. Drunk Keen will have to fill out an application, too.

I seriously think it's possible to make a character out of Keg O' Vitalin, though the idea is a little too Donkey Kong-ish.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Looks pretty good. Love the Scotty, too.

For CKD, I liked the original lineup of Frenchy, the Brocolash, and the Carrot Courier over the revised roster, and I think normal keen could just have pajamas. Maybe mort could be replaced by boobus tuber? Idk

If you're actually intent on doing these, I recommend keeping the sprite sizes the same if at all possible. The rule is that the hitboxes must be the same as keen's, relative to the sprite origin. This means that if you make the sprite image a bit wider or taller, but you'll have to you the LIST.TXT to offset the image so that it's centered around the hitbox. Of course, you can't make them too big, or else you'll have visual discrepancy between the sprite and the character. (The game should technically be able to handle slightly bigger hitboxes, but I want to keep everything fair).

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it some more, even larger sized sprites with identical hitboxes may have small issues... not sure how that will play out. I would expect no problems, but at the very most, they shouldn't desynchronize the game between clients.

Paramultart wrote:I demand a NetKeen mod where all of the playable characters and inanimate objects.
Heh, yes, and they shoot keens and yorps at each other.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

The Scotty (made by..uh...I forget his name) a.k.a Korath Police Officer, will pose a slight problem. He's a bit too short. If I understand NetKeen correctly, every character should shoot at the same bullet height. So for example the Shockshund would have to stand on its hind legs when barking/shooting.

Concerning keeping all sprite dimensions the same, one problem I've run into with the Tater Trooper is this:

Using that frame, (it's a very rough draft, I know) when Trooper hangs on to a ledge, he shrinks, and loses a epic proportion of his rotundness. Perhaps I should try a different approach...

EDIT: Course if we include Mini Robo Red, might as well enter Giant Shelley for a try out.

ANOTHER EDIT: How about combinations? Spirogrip and Volte-Face are just asking for it:

Paramultart wrote:I demand a NetKeen mod where all of the playable characters and inanimate objects.
Why, that means my Ominimatic is eligible!

It's very much in the spirit of Tom Hall's Anachronox, where an entire planet shrinks itself to the size of a human in order to join the hero's team. It would be kinda cool floating around the NetKeen stages as a miniature Omegamatic.

Another Edit: Every thread has the potential to be worthwhile, even if it calls for drastic measures. For those of you still watching or not still watching, you're missing out on some great 6-player NetKeen -ext kdr fun:

Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!