Let's Plays

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Paramultart wrote:
Fleexy wrote:4K? Wow; I'm lucky to get 10 on a given video. I'm pretty sure I'm a high quality LPer, but I guess I'm just uberobscure. So far, I've played three mods and received some pretty good feedback. See "Fleex Plays Keen" thread.

</selfPromotion>
I actually checked out your channel, and I can agree it's pretty good. I would approve of you doing an LP of Monster Bash... Much more than that fat retarded idiot JonTron. (May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his armpits)
Keep up the good work, and congratulations on not having an annoying little-kid voice.

I sense some animosity there.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Levellass wrote: I sense some animosity there.
Not towards him, but towards other young LPers.
I can see how that could be construed as an insult, but I truly meant it as a compliment, as in "you're an exception to on otherwise detestable age group".
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

What amuses me is LPers that don't read game manuals then complain when they don't understand something.

THAT IS WHAT THE MANUAL OR HELP SECTION IS FOR! READ DAMMIT!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Levellass wrote:What amuses me is LPers that don't read game manuals then complain when they don't understand something.

THAT IS WHAT THE MANUAL OR HELP SECTION IS FOR! READ DAMMIT!
Oh my goodness, tell me about it. Something that irritates me probably more than it should is seeing novelty "retro-gamers" molesting the DOS classics and complaining that they're too hard or that the controls are bad. If I could master them at the tender age of 4, then that either means that I'm a gaming god or those manboys are as unskilled as they are unkempt.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

Levellass wrote:THAT IS WHAT THE MANUAL OR HELP SECTION IS FOR! READ DAMMIT!
Be quiet, nobody will be able to laugh at E.T. anymore if they read the manual and discover that it was competently designed.
I'm the cool blue keener.
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Levellass wrote:What amuses me is LPers that don't read game manuals then complain when they don't understand something.
And that is why I stick with games I already am familiar with and just stick odd constraints on my run. Boring? Maybe, but it's better than blindly playing something someone shoved under my nose because he wants me to make an ass of myself on Youtube (I'm looking at you, Kaizo Mario fans)
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

To be fair the original kaizo Mario video was terribly funny at the level exit. I am almost tempted to put a similar trick in one of my mods, perhaps near an optional exit.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I just don't watch LPs. Partially because my internet connection is garghouse but mainly because if I want to see the game played I'll play the bloody game!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

There are nifty video downloaders that let you watch LQ youtube videos, a whole hour and a half movie can be as little as 35MB of data!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I don't know how anyone has the patience to watch an entire LP, personally.
Unless there's something special about it, like speedruns, I'm generally not interested. If I do watch one, I skip around for key parts or to spoil the ending.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

The episode where raocow completely loses his patience with keen is pretty funny.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

LPs of Sonic 2006 are especially atrocious, because it should be mandated law that everyone experience Sonic 2006's holy greatness by playing it.
I'm the cool blue keener.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Cobalt wrote:LPs of Sonic 2006 are especially atrocious, because it should be mandated law that everyone experience Sonic 2006's holy greatness by playing it.
Sonic 2006 is the devil, literally! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Df2Ilpxtdg

Paramultart wrote:I don't know how anyone has the patience to watch an entire LP, personally.
Unless there's something special about it, like speedruns, I'm generally not interested. If I do watch one, I skip around for key parts or to spoil the ending.
It depends, the best LPs are the ones that are either insanely skillful, which keep you in constant awe and wishing you played that well, bumblingly stupid, which keep you amused with the sheer ineptitude or are just an honest run of the game, which let you share the experience of just playing the game.

Speedruns for me fall into category 1 (Even tool assisted ones) a few blind plays in category 2 (The ones where the players acknowledge that the bad playing is their fault.) #3s are the best, such as this walkthrough of Kingsley's Quest that the player obviously enjoyed, likes to share and frankly isn't the best at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrlD43whfm4
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Reasons why I'd watch a Let's Play:

1) I want to know about a game, but not enough to play it.
2) The players are entertaining to listen to.
3) I want to see how someone else reacted to certain parts of a game that I've played.
4) Someone has done a really impressive playthrough (speed, skill) and it's entertaining to watch.

Sometimes, it's some combination of the above.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

I'm just gonna use a little dark magicks to bring this thread back. Weoeooohoooyoooo!

So I just did a playthrough of the Ocflore & Keen Meets the Meats demos for my channel and I figured chu guys might like to see them.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1XYXzfxMDM

and as fair warning, I curse. Not a whole ton, but it's there so shield thine virgin ears if you're concerned about that kinda garg.

It's still processing at the moment but i'm just gonna post it now, I really need to go to bed.