Let's Plays

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Let's Plays

Post by wolfcub7 »

So, I've been hunting down good Let's Play videos of the Keen series from YouTube because they can be much fun and helpful. Both of the official games as well as fan-made mods. And I mean Let's Plays that actually play the game through.

Who are your favourite LPers? Would you make recommendations?

So far I personally have enjoyed TheRealZ3ro's LPs the most, as he goes into the games "blind", his reactions are sometimes hilarious and he isn't too good but not too bad either when it comes to skills. He's so far played Keen 4, 5 and 6 and he may be some day playing The Universe Is Toast trilogy too.

And roundthewheelrtw I like too, although he doesn't go into the games "blind" and he's very good at them and knows even the secrets very well. But that means he can offer a lot of useful tips, and he's sense of humour is fine too. I think he's at the moment played on The Universe is Toast trilogy.

ReedWulf is kind of something in between the two above. I think he's played the whole official trilogy.

Some LPer links to Raccow's channel, saying he's very entertaining and gamed through the entire official series but I can't find any Keen games from that channel. Does anyone know anything about that?

I've found some that would otherwise be enjoyable but in Keen 4 and up they don't use the Save feature at all in mid-levels therefor ending up repeating the levels over and over and over again and don't even cut the repeative runs out...It just gets frustrating no matter how fun the commentray might be. I personally don't understand why anyone anyway would not use the mid-level saving possibility, I mean how does anyone have the interest, patience and energy to repeat the same points of a level over and over and over when you wouldn't need to?
(When I played these as a kid, I don't think I saved in mid-levels as much as I do these days but I'm sure I did save at least once in long levels...)

I would like to try and make a Let's Play myself too, but I can't get the softwares to function well if at all. They just won't record but a few seconds if at all. (I've tried D3DGear and Fraps, the free trial versions.)
Can anyone recommend a good one to make an LP from PC games?

And then just generally...It's fun to find out what all made-up names people call the various enemies in Keen games if they don't know or bother to check their official names. In how many different ways people see the same enemy.
I'm one of those who never bother to look up the enemies or what they're called and then they burn into my mind as whatever I originally called them.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Always liked ReedWulf Every other LPer I like doesn't do Keen games.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

To my knowledge, Raocow did 1-4. I don't think he played 5 and beyond for two reasons: (1) he doesn't like playing retail games if he can help it and (2) he doesn''t like the Galaxy/AAMB engine. His Keen playthroughs will probably be on the Raoclassic channel, or some other one-off channel.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Aw, everyone always forgets about meeeeeee. Oh well, my K4 LP isnt great, but apparently around four thousand people watched it so thats good enough for me. I think the K5 LP is better, but it might be mildly NSFW as I think I was probably drinking at the time.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

4K? Wow; I'm lucky to get 10 on a given video. I'm pretty sure I'm a high quality LPer, but I guess I'm just uberobscure. So far, I've played three mods and received some pretty good feedback. See "Fleex Plays Keen" thread.

</selfPromotion>
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Fleexy wrote:4K? Wow; I'm lucky to get 10 on a given video. I'm pretty sure I'm a high quality LPer, but I guess I'm just uberobscure. So far, I've played three mods and received some pretty good feedback. See "Fleex Plays Keen" thread.

</selfPromotion>
Yeah, it takes some time. My videos have been up since like 2008, so 4k views in 5 years or so haha.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Sorry, biffstudly. I remember you did some Let's Plays but I couldn't place the name. My good friend HoundDogGuy joined me for the first level of Terror from Outer Space.
http://youtu.be/kSGP3M5iDsQ
Give it a watch! :)
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:33, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Is there any way we could do a community LP of the commander keen games?
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Does my LP of biomenace count? (It is a keen mod, after all)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You did one of those?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Of course I did. You were there, weren't you?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I can't recall.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Sure, LPs of Keen mods count! Can't believe I forgot to mention that in the original post, as I was thinking of them too. I'm equally if not even more interested in Keen mod LPs. It would be in addition to other fun, a good way to decide which mods seem the most interesting to me. (Going blindly through 200+ mods one by one seems a bit too much after all.)

biffstudly, I'm currently checking out your LPS, and troublesomekeen I subbed to you guys. :)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I just recorded my playthrough of mart 3 (I will be posting it soon).
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Fleexy wrote:4K? Wow; I'm lucky to get 10 on a given video. I'm pretty sure I'm a high quality LPer, but I guess I'm just uberobscure. So far, I've played three mods and received some pretty good feedback. See "Fleex Plays Keen" thread.

</selfPromotion>
I actually checked out your channel, and I can agree it's pretty good. I would approve of you doing an LP of Monster Bash... Much more than that fat retarded idiot JonTron. (May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his armpits)
Keep up the good work, and congratulations on not having an annoying little-kid voice.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"