Planet Names

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Oh boy I had a few of those, too.
Ckelar made it into my mods as a sun. My main planet as a kid was Hphannthacyah when I was obsessed with complicated writing rules.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

I think I'll take mobius because it isn't copyrighted.
I'm the cool blue keener.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Bernie wrote:i dont get why in science fiction they have planets with roman numerals after. couldn't they come up with a new name for a planet? instead of just giving planets the same name? seems pretty lazy.
Or instead of roman numerals, you could go the greek route:

Code: Select all

Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta
Epsilon
Zeta
Eta
(not sure that's the right order) like in Star Control 2.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

My computer came up with:
"Tumultuary 7"
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Bernie wrote:i dont get why in science fiction they have planets with roman numerals after. couldn't they come up with a new name for a planet? instead of just giving planets the same name? seems pretty lazy.
Actually, that's what we do now. Planets are named after the star they're found around plus some identifying number (Such as M26 or RW-2004 plus a number. Often *stars* are named this way.

Of course some get away with a simple letter such as Kepler-56a and Kepler-56b, the two planets detected around the star Kepler-56.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The aliens on planet Kepler-56b must feel honored by the name we have given them.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Actually, that's what we do now. Planets are named after the star they're found around plus some identifying number
yeah but isnt that more for far away planets that we dont really care about? I mean if we colonized that planet I'm sure we'd give it something more individual.
im really just thinking about the planets in our own solar system.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Bernie wrote:
Actually, that's what we do now. Planets are named after the star they're found around plus some identifying number
yeah but isnt that more for far away planets that we dont really care about? I mean if we colonized that planet I'm sure we'd give it something more individual.
Yes, I'm sure the colonists of Uranus would like to rename their home planet. Something like Crotchicus or Gonadus, maybe? Unless by the time we man Uranus we're already past such childish things.

Oh and Mars should change its name to Snickers.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

When we're able to take care of our own planet, we'll be satisfied with it and have no need to colonize others.

So the titles of Kepler-56b and Uranus shall remain.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

also I think giving numbers and greek numbers to planets make it seem more 'techy', going along with the sci fi genre. they do the same thing with robot and spaceship names.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Bernie wrote:
Humans always do that; people name their roombas. And dress them up. But most planets will keep their numbers. Especially if they were home to aliens we didn't know about, care about or pay much attention to. If any aliens know about earth you can bet it will have an equally complex and routine name. And if life is so wonderfully common as every human secretly hopes it is, you can expect humans themselves will have some boring classification in the universal guide.

VikingBoyBilly wrote:When we're able to take care of our own planet, we'll be satisfied with it and have no need to colonize others.

So the titles of Kepler-56b and Uranus shall remain.
I believe you mean 'When we're satisfied with our own planet and have no need to colonize others, we'll take care of it.'
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

On the other hand, I hope colonisation of new worlds remains impossible. We're eventually forced, at least in order to survive, to take care of Earth and not trash it and move to another one like a bad lessee. I'm disappointed how people like Hawking have long ago given up on humanity :(
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I can understand that, given that a large portion of our population expects to be whisked away to fluffy cloud paradise within the next 50 years. Not conductive to long term planning that.