Planet Names

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Commander Shriek
Vortininja

Planet Names

Post by Commander Shriek »

So I just made up this planet called Frosticus X, it's a completely snowy world, with no changes in weather

So whaddya think? :p
SHRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Re: So I just

Post by szemi »

Commander Shriek wrote:So I just made up this planet called Frosticus X, it's a completely snowy world, with no changes in weather

I'll use this planet name for my upcoming mod. :) But it'll simply be Frosticus. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
Commander Shriek
Vortininja

I'll use this planet name for my upcoming mod. :) But it'll simply be Frosticus. :)[/quote]

Sweet
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Very good, Shriek. It reminds of of Frosthool, from Keen 9.
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Frosthool
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Commander Shriek
Vortininja

szemi wrote:
Commander Shriek wrote:So I just made up this planet called Frosticus X, it's a completely snowy world, with no changes in weather

I'll use this planet name for my upcoming mod. :) But it'll simply be Frosticus. :)

Thanks for using my idea :)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Growing up my sister and I had a whole plethora of fictional planets and races, one of which I recall was called Frostulus (though it wasn't a planet, but rather a moon of another inhabited world...I think it was Yorvin XIII.) Inhabitants included Scary Snowmen, Rabid Rabbits and a friendly race of tiny yeti. Good times.
Commander Shriek
Vortininja

StupidBunny wrote:Growing up my sister and I had a whole plethora of fictional planets and races, one of which I recall was called Frostulus (though it wasn't a planet, but rather a moon of another inhabited world...I think it was Yorvin XIII.) Inhabitants included Scary Snowmen, Rabid Rabbits and a friendly race of tiny yeti. Good times.

Cool! :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I had a world like that, then someone told me I should call it Psychros, after the Latin word for cold or something.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

When you're looking for something a little less generic and bland, there's always Holidaius...
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Oh, I take great delight in making up fictional places and characters and never using them. :p
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i dont get why in science fiction they have planets with roman numerals after. couldn't they come up with a new name for a planet? instead of just giving planets the same name? seems pretty lazy.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

An idea for a planet name doesn't really warrant a thread all about it. Fortunately this has evolved into general planet name discussion and I"ll change the thread subject line accordingly.

@Bernie: Planets seem to be named after their system, in such cases, which is rather organized compared to unique names for each individual.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

We have a lot of planets with numbers in their names, which is mostly because at the time we named them we just thought it sounded cool. Now we're kinda stuck with them out of habit, though it doesn't make sense that some major civilized worlds would call themselves by their star systems and others wouldn't. Whatever.

Some examples...

Kiwi: Involved in almost all of our stories and games and stuff to some extent. Organized into multiple sovereign states, much like Earth; of which Manuka is the largest and most powerful. Headquarters of Vitacorp, most powerful corporation in the galaxy (bet you have no idea where we got that name from!) No word on the sheep population. Planet has highly varied, mostly Earthlike climate.

Smog: Close allies of Kiwi since the Kiwi-Smogerite War ended about 40 years ago. Highly industrialized world, Vitacorp also has major presence here. Mostly united under monarchical regime, with exception of one small isolated state in the south. Carbon dioxide-rich atmosphere, almost perpetual cloud/smog cover.

Reidel VI: Longtime foes of the Smogerites, and Kiwis by extension. Politically largely isolated, save for allies on Deltar. Geologically very active, and inhospitable for most species.

Oozy: One of three major moons of Kiwi. Temperate-to-tropical climate. Inhabited by peaceful race called Oozies, which look like little snowmen with antennas and kitty faces. Was colonized prior to Kiwi-Smogerite War by fast-growing Vitacorp, but has since been made off-limits to all outside settlement.

Mobus: Another moon of Kiwi. Covered mostly in a few species of fast-growing fungus, and only one major animal species, the mobis, who live in hives and are primitive but notoriously destructive.

Yecko VIII: World has been in anarchy for over a century, although major crime syndicates such as Darkstar hold effective control over large swathes of it. Enormous size of planet and continents gives much of it an arid/semi-arid climate.

Ordinus VI: Highly disputed planet in strategically located Ordinus system, near galactic center. Mostly occupied by Reidellians, but Galactic Authority and Kiwi-Smogerite occupational zones are maintained as well in a couple of major cities. Largely forested planet with developing civilization.

Dustish: Large desert planet. Mostly uninhabited, save for giant region in which lives a massive fungus colony. Dustisians are an industrious, subterranean species.

Ruman: The sole moon of Smog. So heavily mined for its abundant natural resources that the once-airless moon has developed an atmosphere, albeit a noxious one.

Vrontlik: Ruling world of the Vrontil Cluster, an open cluster which as yet remains unexplored by outside worlds. Reigns over several inhabited worlds and many more besides.

There are many more interesting planets out there, but discovering them is half the fun! Plus these are the ones that came to my mind at this particular moment.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

StupidBunny wrote:We have a lot of planets with numbers in their names, which is mostly because at the time we named them we just thought it sounded cool. Now we're kinda stuck with them out of habit, though it doesn't make sense that some major civilized worlds would call themselves by their star systems and others wouldn't. Whatever.

Some examples...

Kiwi: Involved in almost all of our stories and games and stuff to some extent. Organized into multiple sovereign states, much like Earth; of which Manuka is the largest and most powerful. Headquarters of Vitacorp, most powerful corporation in the galaxy (bet you have no idea where we got that name from!) No word on the sheep population. Planet has highly varied, mostly Earthlike climate.

Smog: Close allies of Kiwi since the Kiwi-Smogerite War ended about 40 years ago. Highly industrialized world, Vitacorp also has major presence here. Mostly united under monarchical regime, with exception of one small isolated state in the south. Carbon dioxide-rich atmosphere, almost perpetual cloud/smog cover.

Reidel VI: Longtime foes of the Smogerites, and Kiwis by extension. Politically largely isolated, save for allies on Deltar. Geologically very active, and inhospitable for most species.

Oozy: One of three major moons of Kiwi. Temperate-to-tropical climate. Inhabited by peaceful race called Oozies, which look like little snowmen with antennas and kitty faces. Was colonized prior to Kiwi-Smogerite War by fast-growing Vitacorp, but has since been made off-limits to all outside settlement.

Mobus: Another moon of Kiwi. Covered mostly in a few species of fast-growing fungus, and only one major animal species, the mobis, who live in hives and are primitive but notoriously destructive.

Yecko VIII: World has been in anarchy for over a century, although major crime syndicates such as Darkstar hold effective control over large swathes of it. Enormous size of planet and continents gives much of it an arid/semi-arid climate.

Ordinus VI: Highly disputed planet in strategically located Ordinus system, near galactic center. Mostly occupied by Reidellians, but Galactic Authority and Kiwi-Smogerite occupational zones are maintained as well in a couple of major cities. Largely forested planet with developing civilization.

Dustish: Large desert planet. Mostly uninhabited, save for giant region in which lives a massive fungus colony. Dustisians are an industrious, subterranean species.

Ruman: The sole moon of Smog. So heavily mined for its abundant natural resources that the once-airless moon has developed an atmosphere, albeit a noxious one.

Vrontlik: Ruling world of the Vrontil Cluster, an open cluster which as yet remains unexplored by outside worlds. Reigns over several inhabited worlds and many more besides.

There are many more interesting planets out there, but discovering them is half the fun! Plus these are the ones that came to my mind at this particular moment.
Hmm, I'll take some of them, but not now(later).
Yeah, piece of cake!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Okay, but please ask before you do: we have 16 years of stories, artwork, characters, and other canon concerning all of these worlds, making up the better part of my childhood, and I guess I'm a little protective of all of them... :P