Commander Keen Crossovers

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

StupidBunny wrote: Keen discovers the planet where Klingons live and meets Worf there
I guess that would work somehow, but what I'd really love to see would be this:
StupidBunny wrote: Keen discovers "Forbidden Planet"
I mean the whole aesthetics is perfect for Keen.

Also we should make a Keen/Duck Dodgers crossover.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

chrissifniotis wrote:All hail mighty troublesomekeen! I hope to see it. I'd like to try emulating the Vorticon games into Galaxy graphics as well.
My parents will be leaving on a 5-day trip next week--during which I plan to make some headway on the video tutorials.
MoffD wrote:Wow, that's cool troublesome, +1UP!
[/guys-friends-support]
Thanks, MoffD. Various characters will be joining Keen on his Tactical Adventure. Do you want your name to be used for a side-kick or a boss? :p
Also, we here at Keen Can Studios have made great bounds and leaps today. Take a look:

It's almost here, not quite. Editing palettes was the biggest hurdle. Next stop: Keen Attacking Animation. Then I can replace the background and enemy sprites. Stuff like that. Gargle blargle. Know what I mean?

Probably wasn't the intention of the topic, but I was thinking Keen Crossovers as in Keen crossing over to a different game genre. Why? Because Keen Can. (Para, that's your cue.)

EDIT: Also, sneakily click dis here link:
http://youtu.be/GoIz9QqwZEY
Just finished it today. Keen actually attacks now. The animation is way off, so I'm fixing that. The Pogo is his Melee Attack, while the Neural Stunner will give Keen the ability to target enemy units from afar. This'll be a lot of code to go through... But I feel halfway smart now.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

troublesomekeen wrote:My parents will be leaving on a 5-day trip next week--during which I plan to make some headway on the video tutorials.

Thanks, MoffD. Various characters will be joining Keen on his Tactical Adventure. Do you want your name to be used for a side-kick or a boss? :p
Also, we here at Keen Can Studios have made great bounds and leaps today. Take a look:

It's almost here, not quite. Editing palettes was the biggest hurdle. Next stop: Keen Attacking Animation. Then I can replace the background and enemy sprites. Stuff like that. Gargle blargle. Know what I mean?

Probably wasn't the intention of the topic, but I was thinking Keen Crossovers as in Keen crossing over to a different game genre. Why? Because Keen Can. (Para, that's your cue.)

EDIT: Also, sneakily click dis here link:
Just finished it today. Keen actually attacks now. The animation is way off, so I'm fixing that. The Pogo is his Melee Attack, while the Neural Stunner will give Keen the ability to target enemy units from afar. This'll be a lot of code to go through... But I feel halfway smart now.
+3,141,592,653UP
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Don't forget:

Bowling for Korath III
Ceilicko
... and I can't think of any more
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

troublesomekeen wrote: Thanks, MoffD. Various characters will be joining Keen on his Tactical Adventure. Do you want your name to be used for a side-kick or a boss? :p
Sure :crazy
troublesomekeen wrote: EDIT: Also, sneakily click dis here link:
Yes! Pogo stick is a great choice of weapon :D:D
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

So is this a full blown game/mod or just a proof of concept thingy? Looks very good either way. :)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Nospike wrote:So is this a full blown game/mod or just a proof of concept thingy? Looks very good either way.
Proof of concept so far. Whether it gets to the full down mod/hack stage depends on if my brain can comprehend the game engine. I am however in possession of good tutorials and tools. It's a very fun but troublesome process, to be sure. First ya gotta import the sprite, which is hard to do due to bugs/glitches, many steps and silly mistakes. And if it all goes well, it looks like this:

Then editing the palette to EGA colors is a royal pain. But fun, too. How it maintains a balance of both is beyond me.
Ideally, the game will be a series of tactical battles with dialogue and cut-scenes in between. The battle system will include weapon types that work in a triangle of effectiveness:
Pogo beats Skypest. Skypest beats Bloog. Bloog beats Pogo.

Every unit falls under an above category:
Skypest (Little guys)
Inchworm
Skypest
Wormouth

Pogo (Bouncing attacks)
Bounder
Mad Mushroom
Mimrock
Commander Keen
NortiNinja

Bloog (Brute strength)
Arachnut
Blue Bird
Lick
Poison Slug
Dopefish
Sparky
Grag
Vorticon
Yorp

Added to these Melee attack types is Ranged Attacks (characters who use blasters.)

Blaster
Sprite
Commander Keen
Shockshund
Vorticon Elite
Vorticon Mom
Meep

No tactical game would be complete without healers, so Lindsey will have to take care of that. Also she plans to use offensive magic as well.

Magic Users
Thundercloud
Berkeloid
Council Member
Princess Lindsey
Shikadi Master
Robo Red
Babobba
Bobba

All units that join Commander Keen's group will be upgradable to a superior class after reaching Level 10 (or wait till lvl 20) providing you have in your inventory the proper upgrading item. The superior class with having more advanced attacking capabilities and unlock other skills.

There will be treasure chests and doors to unlock. Smirky will be most useful. All items and characters will be taken directly from the Keen 1-6 games. I would like to include KDreams, but I'm afraid there isn't enough space.

Anyways, that's the basic outline so far.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Whoah.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Wait... Why is our all-American hero standing among those kooky anime people? What's going on? :confused
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Paramultart wrote:Wait... Why is our all-American hero standing among those kooky anime people? What's going on?
Pardon me, Para. Those kooks you see are from the original game called Fire Emblem. I'm in the process of--Wait a second. Isn't it obvious? I spelled it out, didn't I?
Oh well. Just hang on. Today I successfully altered the game to enable Keen to use both Pogo and Neural Stunner. After I get all my portrait artwork inserted, those kooky anime people will simply disappear.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

So you essentially modded a game into Keen RPG?
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Paramultart wrote:So you essentially modded a game into Keen RPG?
Yip! :p