Idea for a keen1 competition let me know what you think.

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Idea for a keen1 competition let me know what you think.

Post by Captainkeen »

Hey guys I came up with an idea for a fun keen competition that we could organise. The idea is as follows.

The competition is for keen 1, a number of players would sign up for the competition for example 5. but a minimum of three.

All the players take turns were one of them creates a level for the others to play.

Then each player attempts to play the level while recording himself playing and then uploads the video (ofcourse it's possible for someone to cheat by trying several times but thats unavoidable hopefully people wont do that). The levels are structured like this: Keen starts in a safe position next to the exit. The rest of the level can be designed as the designer wants. Players can then choose to attempt to collect points. A maximum of 20,000 points can be placed in each level. The player collects as many points as he can or wants to risk without dying and then exits the level. if he dies he looses all points he collects and gets a score of -20,000. Also you have to finish within 10 minutes or you get a score of -20,000. Then when everyone has played the scores of all the players are compaired. Every player now receives points (for his total long-term score) from each other player that has a lower score then him. so if you collect 1000 points you get 800 from a player that collected only 200 and you get 20800 points form a player that died. You also loose points from your total score to players that scored better then you in the same way (your total long term score can become negative because of this). Now here is the final twist. Actually you only get to keep 50% of the points you win this way. The other 50% goes to the creater of the level (but you pay 100% if you have a lower score). This way the level creator has an incentive to make a challenge for player were some player will be able to win points, but if its too easy everyone will get them and there is no differnce in scores and so no points are earned by the level creator (or any of the players). same if everyone leaves the level with 0 points. Clearly the designer of the level has the advantage because he can win points but doesnt risk anything. but every player get a turn to be the designer (once or several times depending on how many rounds are played). The amound of rounds played should be determined at the start and the highest score at the end wins.

So this is it. I explained all the rules. Let me know if you think this could work and if you would want to participate in this. Also let me know if I didnt explain the rules well or if you think there would be problems with it.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I like this idea a lot. Very interesting. Not overly complex. The "Dying removes any points got in level" patch would be most useful in this case. ( http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Score )
I don't see any problem with the rules so far. I'd be interested in participating, too. Do you suppose there should be a limit on level size?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

The "Dying removes any points got in level" patch would be most useful in this case.
Actually that won't be needed because you can simply quit to titles to reset score.
Do you suppose there should be a limit on level size?
It's not really neccesary because there is the time limit of 10 minutes but it might be a good idea to prevent long boring levels not sure what the limit should be tough.

Let me explain a bit why keen starts next to the exit and why dying is so severy penalized. The player has to explore the level and whenever he encounters a situation like a difficult jump he has the choice to risk it or to cash in his chips and exit the level. Therefore no-one is forced to do anything impossibly difficult and the level designer has to make sure the levels are inviting enough for player to take the risk. Also there is an element where you have to gues what the other player are willing to risk or not. Also the -20000 is to discourage risky situations like blind drops. The creator could make blind drops that give you a 50% chance of survival and then reward you with the maximum amount of points. But because dying costs 20000 points there wil be no reason for anyone to even try (unles you can gues what the level creator was gonna make) and you can always go back to the exit.

We are gonna need more players tough. We only need three, so one more minimum but more would be more fun.