Misconceptions

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

My apologies for posting in an older thread, but it's been a while since I remembered to check this place out. I enjoyed everyone's miskeenceptions and want to add some of my own.

My sister and I were discussing the SGA signs in Keen 4 when we were younger. She insisted that they gave Keen's bedtime.

For a long time, Keen 4 was the only one my family had. I looked longingly at the previews for 5 and 6 and wished/suspected that if I played Keen 4 enough times 5 and 6 would be unlocked. Nope, I ended up getting 5 on the CD from 3D Realms and 6 from eBay.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

I think the thing about the Perilous pit is that all of the vertical lines go all the way down.
The "window" didn't help either >:

Shovels?
Snorkels?
Tar = oil?
Sneak through the trees to go to the Hand Triangle?
All rocks are evil and out to kill you?
Vorticons are dogs?

Yes to all of the above.

Nobody's mentioned it yet, but I was terrified of all clouds after one from the Chasm suddenly gained sentience and killed me multiple times.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

EPIC FAIL!!!
Up until last week playing Keen 1 I thought the Vorticons were invincible.
:dead2
It never occurred to me to fire more than one shot.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I'd say most Keeners had that misconception for the first while playing Keen1. I know I did. Many probably beat the game by dodging the Vorticons rather than slaying them. I distinctly recall that one of the most challenging parts was getting past the vorticon in the ice levels without shooting it.

I did discover that you could shoot them by trial and error, which really demonstrates how much time I had on my hands back then. Of course, all this information has long-since been catalogued on sites such as CC314 and its successors to save people the bother of trial-and-error.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Well I did know you could shoot them, I even found out by chance that you could shoot the slicestar. Contrary to that I am now mostly trying to get through all the mods and games not shooting any enemy.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Keening_Product wrote:The sleeping slugs were owls to me. Don't ask. I have no idea why I thought owls would be underground. I think I assumed they had tunnels that Keen couldn't see.
they aren't owls?

when I was young, I only collected that kind of candies, which I actually was used to. I didn't know what doughnuts were so I avoided these possible harmful circular ring things by any chance.

way back one of my Keen misconceptions was actually the interpretation of that Keen-Map-Sprite-Helmet. I had this weird impression that the single black pixel on the side must have been Keens eye. Looks like some sort of malposition (extrem exotropia), doesn't it? It took me ages to realise that this dot is technically part of the helmet.
XkyRauh wrote:I still write myself notes in SGA.
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

:confused

Nahh just kidding, I set my computer's font on aurebesh. 8)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

When I first read about the Shikadi Master in the F1 help, I somehow thought the objective of Keen 5 is to find the Shikadi Master, take him to Keen's house, and have him do chores for Keen's family. :crazy
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

That sounds like a pretty great mod idea. Nice one.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bitemaster
Grunt

Post by Bitemaster »

I always pronounced Shikadi Shih-kad-ee.. I can't ever really see myself pronouncing it another way.

The Treasury and Red Maze City levels in Keen 1 looked from the world map like really, really fat Indy 500 race cars. Some kind of car anyway. I thought they were mobile cities.

I didn't realize you could kill the Vorticon Commander with 105 shots, I would always shoot the chain holding the beam. :P

Like many, I used to call The Emerald City the "Cactus City". I thought it was a giant hollowed out cactus.

I never realized the candy bars in Keen 3 were worth 500, and the burgers only 100. I never realized the point values were mixed.

I also never realized the "Caves of Oblivion" level was unwinnable the "real" way. I just thought I wasn't trying hard enough.
Keening since 1995.
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

Here are mine:

1. I thought that the Keen 4 secret level (I always called it Hand Pyramid) was actually not secret, but had to be purchased/paid for, exactly like the inaccessible levels in Keen6 demo version. Once I "buy" it, some of the obstacles (trees) on world map would disappear and make dirrect passable way to it.

2. I never knew what was the Keen4 story about (I did not understand English at all), so I thought that Keen shipwrecked on the planet and looked for someone who would help him repair his broken ship. And those guys were actually the council members, Keen had to rescue all of them in order to repair his ship. Surely I did not understand the ending sequence, it definitely didn't look like repairing a ship.

3. I thought that Dart gun was an injection needle, and drips of a red poisonous liquid were dropping off it. I could not explain why they could fly horizontally and upwards.

4. I thought that Berkeloid was Bart Simpson.
(I thought that their ability of throwing fire through walls was not a bug, but a feature to make them more dangerous).

5. Scrubs were walking tomatos.

6. Pat Pat was a metal can, definitely not a living creature.

7. Vorticons were wolves.

8. I thought sleeping slug was actually a dog's head poking out of a hole.

9. I thought that a secret/invisible level was located on this place, which could possibly appear (like Miragia). Lot of times I ctrl'd all that place.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Hisymak wrote:6. Pat Pat was a metal can, definitely not a living creature.
That's a living creature?
Hisymak wrote:8. I thought sleeping slug was actually a dog's head poking out of a hole.
I still can't see it any other way.

I never clued in to the fact that the menu screen is Keen wearing his ComputerWrist until a few years ago.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Until quite recently, I thought the big yellow bricks found in Keen 4's pyramids were hay, and the red flipping bricks found in Keen 5 and 6 were books.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

I just remembered one thing I thought about Well of Wishes for very long time.
I thought that the first big open area with a Dopefish was connected to the other area with a Dopefish just before the exit (that means, the wall marked with red cross didn't exist). I always had huge problems to get past a Dopefish (I never got that points guarded by it), so I thought that in order to pass through it I needed to go around the whole level and come from the opposite side. And I thought the Dopefish in the ending area was the same one as in the first big area, since I thought there was just one Dopefish in the level (I always played on Easy and there were no more than these two IIRC).
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Hisymak wrote:9. I thought that a secret/invisible level was located on this place, which could possibly appear (like Miragia). Lot of times I ctrl'd all that place.
I've also spend some time ctrl-ing around in order to find that level. I guess they have had planned to make a level there, but because of time restrictions or something else they abandon it

Also, I've spend time to find if there's a way to move between the mountains. I thought that would be the way to go to the secret level. Or to go to other places. Oh well. Good times.