Misconceptions

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

3,4,5,7,9.... me too.... :p :p :p :p :p

i doesn't understand the last one

also i thought sleeping slugs was some kind of brown oul with antennas and a piece of butter (or cheese) hanging out of his mouth
Signed. IceDuck347 Have a nice day!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

My sister thought that the oracles were keen's grandpa.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Do you mean the elders?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Keening_Product wrote:Do you mean the elders?
Yes. :|
I meant to write elders. I won't edit the post though, since you pointed that out. It can be another misconception! :p
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Misconceptions

Post by szemi »

Due to the eyeball the Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients is reference to the illuminati?!
Yeah, piece of cake!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

szemi wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:10 Due to the eyeball the Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients is reference to the illuminati?!
well, now that you've asked... it's in fact the other way around. but don't tell any body! :mort
out now (link) : Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Annuit Keeneptis .
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Great thread :)

I myself had alot of misconceptions, surprises. I did find the Forbidden eventually myself and was proud of it, I did search for it alot - I love secret places out of reach. Whole new mystery pyramid...when you know other levels by heart already. I tried map gaps, forests....all that.

I did think sleeping slugs are owls till found out on this forum otherwise. Didn't notice the link between Keen mooning and "Pyramid of the Moon", my english was not that good back then to even know that action is "mooning".

P. S. I still - to this day - didn't play Keen 5 secret level. All versions I had crashed on that level.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

DoomJedi wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:49 P. S. I still - to this day - didn't play Keen 5 secret level. All versions I had crashed on that level.
Your version is 1.0 of Keen 5, where - on EASY difficult - the game crashes in the secret level.
Play v1.4, where it is fixed. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Yeah, I love easy difficulties :)

...I just need a proper saved game I guess :)
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

My younger brother always thought (while watching me playing) that the pickup sound of the neural stunner item would awaken Robo Reds and possibly other monsters (because of the sound being loud and trumpet-like). He also thought it was not the case in Keen6, where the sound was much softer.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Yeah, those ammo-collection noises were definitely enough to wake the stunned. :p I remember for some reason on some old hardware I used years ago, the Soundblaster option was extremely loud, so I always had to use Quiet Soundblaster.

My own personal misconceptions:

Keen 1: I thought the blue cities were some kind of giant seashells until I took a really good look a few years ago, and realised they were cities inside of force fields. And I still don't understand what that pink thing at the start of Capitol City is supposed to be.

Keen 2: I dunno what I thought the Vorticon Elders were, but I don't think I understood they were supposed to be Vorticons.

Keen 3: I thought the pictures of the The Grand Intellect in the Vorticon's homes was not a picture at all, but their pet octopus inside a fish tank.

Keen4: Sleeping slugs were definitely something entirely different. (I seem to very vaguely maybe remember my dad telling me that they were actually slugs, but I don't think I saw the similarity well enough to be convinced.)
Also the Perilous Pit was absolutely some kind of odd-shaped dirt cylinder jutting up at an angle out of the ground until I saw this thread; and it still is if I'm not focusing hard enough.
Also I sometimes thought the slugs had only one eye, because the pupils were so close together.

Keen 5: This one is pretty convoluted. I'd gotten to the final level, and could not figure out how to destroy the QED. I did everything I could think of, from shooting as long as I had patience to ("The help menu shows Keen shooting it, maybe that'll work. Hmm, maybe I just need more shots." Don't know how many times I used I+F10), to pogoing on it like the fuses, I may have even tried to get the Shikadi mine to explode on it but it didn't seem to want to go there.
This went on for a couple weeks or so, and one day I just abruptly closed the laptop in frustration and went to do something else. (It was, by the way, not one that stopped running when the lid was shut.) When I came back later, I was surprised to see "Congratulations! You have completed "Goodbye, Galaxy!"" (Obviously, a Shikadi Mine came and found me while I was gone.)
So for a long time I believed that in order to win Keen 5, I had to leave the computer alone for awhile. At least 15 minutes. And it was highly random whether it would work or not. (Sometimes, not understanding what was really happening, I left it in the menu, or a Shikadi Mine may not have been actively loaded/ they all exploded already/ I didn't open the door.)
I guess I was cured of it one day when I just so happened to look at the screen as a mine was exploding and broke the orb. I still find this whole thing to be hilarious.

Keen 6: Not exactly a misconception per se, but I was convinced, due to the presence of the specific variants of Bloogs, that the Blooguards must be the daddy Bloogs and the regular ones were the mommy Bloogs (and the Blooglets, of course, were their kids). Perfectly logical deduction for a seven-year-old's mindset, I suppose.

Also, not related to the games at all, but I just now realised " :freud " is supposed to be Keen with a white mustache and I've often thought it was a cat mouth or something. Just thought I'd leave that little misconception in there. :disguised
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

proYorp wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:02 Also, not related to the games at all, but I just now realised " :freud " is supposed to be Keen with a white mustache and I've often thought it was a cat mouth or something. Just thought I'd leave that little misconception in there. :disguised
OMG I never thought of this emote that way. It's one of the most useless ones that nobody is using anyway.

And that Keen 5 thing is hilarious! I can only imagine what your reaction was when you figured that out 😂
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

proYorp wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:02 Also, not related to the games at all, but I just now realised " :freud " is supposed to be Keen with a white mustache and I've often thought it was a cat mouth or something. Just thought I'd leave that little misconception in there. :disguised
That is indeed hilarious! and tragic in a way...

Not really a misconception, but just today I've discovered by chance that on easy difficulty you'll receive 8 (in words eight!) ammo when collecting one Neural Stunner instead of the standard five. how astonishing is that? I've played this game for more than two decades now and haven't ever noticed this mechanic at all... what else it there I don't know about?!
:stunned
out now (link) : Image
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

proYorp wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:02 the Perilous Pit was absolutely some kind of odd-shaped dirt cylinder
Its not?? :O Even in Short Circuit Oracle I just changed the color to grey thinking I was changing it look like some kind of grey building instead of a brown building...lol

As a kid I thought the sleeping slug was a cow eating a sandwich. I also thought that there would be some secret way you could get to them and then either something would happen or you would get a lot of points. I would look all around them for a hidden passage through a wall.