Misconceptions

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Re: Misconceptions

Post by proYorp »

I also thought " :foot " was either Keen drinking a soda or blowing bubblegum, until I saw the name "foot in mouth". :p
55Aavenue wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:41
proYorp wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:02 the Perilous Pit was absolutely some kind of odd-shaped dirt cylinder
Its not?? :O
You should see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=3039 . There were a few attempts to correct it, although some of the images there are dead.
LOL, the real question is, did anyone here actually see the Perilous Pit as it was intended?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

the real question is, did anyone here actually see the Perilous Pit as it was intended?
Well, after I grew up and learned English, I could actually understand the level name. Then I looked carefully at the graphics, and from then, I saw it really like a hole in the ground.
Earlier, when I was a small kid, it seemed for me to be a... piece of meat? Probably the craziest idea ever mentioned here.
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

Well... now I remember some things.

I allways thought that Flect held some sort of metal rod instead or being his theet, until I saw him stunned.

I remember thinking thas SGA texts were written in japanese. (Probably because I was a kid)

Princess Lindsey was keen girlfriend? I always wanted that to be real because I thought she was cute... so I was happy with the end of keen 9 :lindsey

I thought Spindred was a top...

I remember my dad playing keen 4...

Skypests were "moscas verdes" (green flies)

So... for last...

I never undesrtood the sprite of the gem holder with the gem already placed on it. Later, I realized that it was the holder with the gem on it...
Signed. IceDuck347 Have a nice day!
Kayburt
Vortininja

Post by Kayburt »

When I first saw Keen die in the Vorticon Trilogy, I thought he had been decapitated, not noticing his shoes at the bottom which instead meant he had been squashed almost flat.
loop4ever
Grunt

Post by loop4ever »

When I first saw Keen die in the Vorticon Trilogy, I thought he had been decapitated, not noticing his shoes at the bottom which instead meant he had been squashed almost flat.
That's exactly the same thing I used to think!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

loop4ever wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:02
That's exactly the same thing I used to think!
It's a pretty odd animation - I suspect a lot of people have been confused over the years.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

In Keen 4's ending, when Keen makes weird faces, I thought Keen was sarcastically saying "And this is what they look like" before making stupid faces to make fun of the shikadi, but I recently found out it's actually the oracle that said that, and Keen was just reacting to something we don't get to see. My life is ruined.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

You should see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=3039 . There were a few attempts to correct it, although some of the images there are dead.
Some of the images are fortunately preserved here: http://web.archive.org/web/201410130738 ... php?t=3039

I think I always saw it as a mound with doors in it. Pretty sure it was only after I started modding and studied the graphics more closely that it occurred to me it was meant to be a hole in the ground.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Mound with doors for me too. Even looking at it now, I still find it extremely hard to parse that as a pit!
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I think I always thought it looked like a barrel? Don't recall super well.
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

I too used to think the pit was a brown building or possibly a beehive.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

I didn't see Martian cities, but the profile shot of a bearded alien guy (with the nose on the upper left). :crazy

I thought the Vorticons are immortal (maybe that contributed to the fact that I found them to be rather scary). But one day I watched someone playing who just kept on shooting the enemy. Suddenly, the "dog" toppled.

That's one long red nose.

:slug
An otherwise brown slug with a pronounced yellow chin.

They shoot darts? I thought those were red drops.

Nice brown dog kennel.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

I used to think that the Mad Mushrooms were wearing army helmets and that they were smoking pipes.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

proYorp wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 17:24 LOL, the real question is, did anyone here actually see the Perilous Pit as it was intended?
I saw the pit as it was intended when I started playing the game. Ever since someone in this forum pointed out that it looked like a beehive, however, it's hard to not see the pit as a beehive! :crazy
CHOCOLATE MILK wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 15:00 In Keen 4's ending, when Keen makes weird faces, I thought Keen was sarcastically saying "And this is what they look like" before making stupid faces to make fun of the shikadi, but I recently found out it's actually the oracle that said that, and Keen was just reacting to something we don't get to see. My life is ruined.
Haha, that would be a very good gag! :lol

It's amazing how our brains can misinterpret some of the things in these 30-year old games, especially the graphics! I guess the abstractness really gets our imagination going! That's one thing I always liked about the old games. :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

When I was a little kid, I used to think that an Arachnut's eyes were actually scraps of food that had fallen on its body. I didn't
realize they were eyes until years later when I actually stopped and looked at the creature instead of frantically trying to shoot it
or run away.