Keen Graphics editing

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Keen Graphics editing

Post by Bubbatom »

Hello everyone!
As my current mod is winding up, I'm looking back at how tiresome and how much of a pain the graphics were to construct in mspaint with a cruddy mouse. I really don't want this set up for my future mod endeavours and I was wondering what the rest of you guys use for graphics editing.

I know some people use photoshop, inkscape, deluxepaint or a combination of those, but I'm wanting to know what set ups these require and what these programs offer in terms of pixel editing over mspaint.

Also I do have an Intuos 4 that doesn't get enough love and am wondering if a graphics tablet is any good for pixel editing in these programs or whether I should just stick to the mouse.

Anyway, share you ideas and preferences!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I use a portable freeware version of GraphicsGale that I don't believe is available anymore. It has everything I need and more for pixel art: Dithering brushes, fills, and layers... I just wish that it had the ability to make global magic-wand selections of one color. (To select all pixels of one color) I used that function for shading a lot when I used Photoshop.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I just use Paint. If I need the Magic Wand tool, I use Pixelformer. If I need to squash the colors down to 16, I use Usenti. I've never created anything grandiose however, so my two cents are only worth a half cent. I probably need to figure out a way to upgrade my setup as well. Things like this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/773 ... evised.bmp wouldn't take up so much time if I learned some tricks or investigated new programs. I do enjoy the use of a Touchpad, but as a result, I've become terrible at using a mouse. Even if First-Person-Shooters I fair better using a Touchpad. Why! the very silver coating on my touchpad is long peeled off! And my index finger is very upset with me.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Paint and mouse.

Sometimes if I'm desperate I'll resort to using GIMP.

Of course you can do images in other programs, especially at a large scale,t hen shrink them down and copy them into pain.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

In the dos times I used Neopaint which was great for everything concerning pixel painting. Later on I moved to Corel Photopaint 8 which had a good object management. But nowadays Corel 8 doesn't work anymore without crashing, so I moved on to GIMP which is awesome now that I'm used to it. sometimes I miss a few form tools like squares, triangles and stuff but most of the time it's all I need. Especially the selection tools are awesome, I can do everything with them.
I tried Paint.NET once but it turned out useless for me since it can't even save 8bit bmp. Sometimes I used ASE Sprite Editor which is nice, and the best thing I found so far if you want to animate stuff. But somehow on my ubuntu system doesn't recognize my screen's resolution.

I would like a wacom art pad for some stuff, but for pixel work I think it's unnecessary, since when pixel editing I don't have to rely on the flow of a stroke. It might be a shock for many but I actually only use my touchpad to paint.
Last edited by tulip on Wed Dec 11, 2013 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

Paint XP.

All teh sprites.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I remember when I first started modding Wolf3D back in 1999...
There was a DOS program called "WOLFEDIT.EXE", and it allowed you edit all of the sprites and wall textures contained in the VSWAP.WL1/WL6 file.
It had extremely primitive means of editing; basically just pixel-by-pixel, and I think a paint-bucket. Not sure if there were even shape/line tools. Theoretically, you could export to .BMP and edit with another program, then import the graphic back in. It could also be used as a primitive pixel art program, though it's limited to 64x64 images.
This was how I edited for years before FloEdit was released, and then I moved on to Adam Biser's WDC, which revolutionized Wolf modding.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

In the pre-windows 3.0 and a little after I used Autodesk Animator. It's about like photoshop for VGA in 320x200. Was crazy cool at the time. But Autodesk moved on to more advanced and more expensive stuff.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Guess what this will be a link to.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Benvolio wrote:Guess what this will be a link to.
Oh my goodness... We had that. I used to make pixel art in them when I was a kid. Later, we got Corel draw, which has a lot of the functionality of Photoshop.
There was another program we had on Windows 95 waaaay back in the day... I can't seem to remember what it was, but it used to be the only way we could open .JPEG files... Perhaps it was Jasc. Huh.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aaah file extensions.

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I don't trust that png, levellass. Here's a corrected version:

Which I did in PSP7, naturally!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Ahahahahahahahahaha... :lol

Strange that .exe's aren't listed on there.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The negative value would have made the image too wide.