3dRealms/Apogee bought

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

mortimer wrote:Crystal Caves 2014, anyone? :P
It would be an iOS game and none of us would get to play it...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It is possible that they might chase the CK ip, but they'd rather purchase Blood rights as it seems. Also, they will focus on new ips. ALA Keen is concerned (because they mentioned it), now the only thing left for us to do is to ask Mike Nielsen: If an opportunity appears, will they buy the Commander Keen rights? Is this even a priority for them? We need to know...

I think, and I might be wrong, but when they got the chance to buy 3D Realms with the Duke Nukem and Shadowarrior in mind, in that interview for Borsen Mike Nielsen misleadingly thought that they also got the Commander Keen ip. But soon after that and some research, its clear for him that that's not the case.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DHeadshot wrote:
mortimer wrote:Crystal Caves 2014, anyone? :P
It would be an iOS game and none of us would get to play it...
This guy gets it.

I am sooooo sick of these corporate idiots, with their stupid marketing demographics and sales statistics, making stupid Apple-exclusive titles that fail in sales anyway.

I asked the new Apogee Software (not 3DRealms) if they had any interest in resurrecting Monster Bash, and they said no, because their target audience was kids and women. What the ffffffffff................

These companies really need to learn that the only way they're ever going to make bank is by pleasing their fans, NOT trying to appeal to a larger demographic (and failing) like DNF did.

Freaking Gearbox won't even let Interceptor release the Duke3D remake because it looks and plays waaaaay better than DNF, and they're still trying to milk that bomb for sales.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem ... se_delayed
The problem was that Reloaded, in its then present state, was both a prettier and better game than Forever was. So they [Gearbox] could under no circumstances allow us [Interceptor] to publish it, show it, or do anything at all with it, because it would destroy the sales-opportunities they had left in Forever.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

When should we start bombarding them with emails about purchasing the rights to keen?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

lemm wrote:When should we start bombarding them with emails about purchasing the rights to keen?
Twenty-two years ago.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'd say now because the wave of excitement is still high and we might get more answers now! They can't speak much about Duke Nukem until the whole suing process is over, but that has nothing to do with Commander Keen! They've got a 5 years plan of using existing and new ip`s, so it's crucial for us to know now whether they see a Commander Keen game in it or not. I guess they would answer something like "If a good opportunity is presented to us, we would buy the rights", so we should also ask what a "good opportunity" to buy the keen rights is for them. I doubt that they will give so much information about this, but it's worth the try.

So... Lets get started!

Here's Mike Nielsen twitter: https://twitter.com/MikeDalsgaard He has Aston Martin. Also, he's the one who loves Commander Keen the most, so I think the best thing to do is everyone who has twitter to ask him.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

wiivn wrote:So... Lets get started!

Here's Mike Nielsen twitter: https://twitter.com/MikeDalsgaard
That's two of us so far...
Cereal Board!
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

We've had responses! :D

To Kuliwil's question:

To TheEocene's question:

To My Question:
Cereal Board!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

All I can hope for now is for id software to crack and let the rights go at a reasonable price to the company that will actually make something out of it.

I guess now we have to wait and see.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That's certainly interesting if something comes of it. I mean, imagine a team of 20 people doing a Keen game, be it 3d or not. It'd be something quite interesting to see. but then again, if nobody in the team has any idea of the Keen spirit and/or they do something like the GBC game.... But it's good something is happening, if the ownership changes from id's hands, it's possible Tom Hall might get it one day. 8)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

If you guys were concerned that a Crystal Caves 2014 would be an iOS game, how come you're not afraid the new Keen game (if there is one) would most likely be an iOS game too?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

tulip wrote:If you guys were concerned that a Crystal Caves 2014 would be an iOS game, how come you're not afraid the new Keen game (if there is one) would most likely be an iOS game too?
This fear is implicit.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Because we still have hope I suppose.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

This is why I find the prospect of a new Keen game to be greatly unsettling, as there is a higher chance it will be horrible than decent.

My excitement regarding the potential release of the original source codes is far greater than for a potential new "official" Keen game, and if Tom Hall is not involved, I don't want to see it happen at all.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"