3dRealms/Apogee bought

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

3dRealms/Apogee bought

Post by XkyRauh »

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... ealms.aspx

Interesting because:
Speaking with Borsen.dk about his new position, Nielson cited franchises like Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, and Shadow Warrior as being valuable franchises he hopes to return to their former glory.
He specifically calls out Commander Keen... :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That's really nice to read! We have yet to learn more about his Commander Keen plans. Aren't the Keen rights belong to zenimax and not 3D Realms? :confused

But besides CK, this whole thing is confusing! First, 3D Realms was suing Gearbox over royalties. Now Gearbox is/(was?) suing 3D Realms and Interceptor for continuing to develop Duke Nukem games. But now they will be suing only Interceptor since 3D Realms is owned by Interceptor? But more importantly, will this all suing thing affect the company or the Duke Nukem game that is in development?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

This is neat. If they are able and do pursue Keen, I wish them all luck in whatever they decide to do with it, be it great Keen games or the continuing adventures of Keen GBA. Providing they don't interfere with the modding community, it'll be refreshing to see any developments.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I must say, I'm very confused as to what this news means for the future of Keen. Did Interceptor really just purchase the rights to the Keen IP? The idea of an outside company coming in out of nowhere and suddenly deciding to do something with Keen is just... strange. And would this affect the source code discussion we were having a few months back?
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Couldn't someone write to them? Someone with experience of writing to important people like the emails sent in the past?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Just write to Frederik Schreiber twitter https://twitter.com/Freschism He's the CEO at Interceptor Entertainment. Looks like he's a reasonable guy. Some random pics from his twitter account:

tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

lol, looking at those pics I doesn't surprise me that they bought a company hoping to get the Duke and Commander Keen, while the company owns neither of the IPs.
Or maybe that's just a publicity trick to get attention, and they really only plan to do a shadow warrior game.
(At least it seems as they had some plans with Duke Nukem it seems) :dead
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

If this did somehow get them Keen IP (although as tulip and other posters said, that wouldn't make sense), it might explain why there was no apparent public comment from Tom re: the source code after he began seeking to release it.

Interesting point alluded to in the comments on that article though: they could seek to buy rights after the purchase. Owning Apogee might give them a production company with the right mindset to take on Keen, but only after the IP is purchased.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The new Apogee Software, which is not to be mistaken for 3D Realms (that is also Apogee) said this about Commander Keen:

I really hope Mike Nielsen from Interceptor knows what he is saying because until something officially is announced, I'll take that Keen stuff he said with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, they won't spoil much until the suit from Gearbox is over, which, hopefully, will end soon. But these things could take several months, if not years...
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Heh.

"Company buys company in bid to make game owned by another company."

Seems almost like a corporate impulse purchase.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03 ... interview/

I think that interview answers all the questions. They like commander keen, but they don't own it. That is it guys. :(
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

There's still the possibility they'll buy it from Zenimax. I'm sure they'd be glad to sell it.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Paramultart wrote:There's still the possibility they'll buy it from Zenimax. I'm sure they'd be glad to sell it.
Right. If id software was sitting on the rights because they wanted to sell it to a company that would turn a profit with it, this might be that chance.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!