Bee Mod Idea

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Levellass wrote:We can in fact change the color palette of Keen Galaxy now.
Wait, what?

Abiathar update in progress...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yep, here's how you can change the color of Galaxy stuff: http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=1786
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Alright, so here is my idea for a story. Take it or leave it.

The 14th Colony of the dangerous Space Bees flies by the neutral planet Mirthixia I every two years on its endless journey through space. Despite their cruel potential, the Space Bees are mostly content to remain on their course unless disturbed. During the passing, however the citizens of the planet partake in a jubilant biennial celebration as part of an ancient tradition to ward away the unhappy insects. This time around, it just so happens that the day of the celebration has fallen within spring break. Billy dons his brother's football helmet and becomes Commander Keen, defender of partying down, and zooms off to Mirthixia I for his best vacation yet.

But the fun only lasts for so long. Suddenly, the cosmic beehive comes hurtling down, as if batted out of a tree by a giant stick. It crashes right into the heart of the kingdom, where the greatest concentration of party-goers has gathered. There is much terror and flailing of arms as the Space Bees, angered by this disruption, emerge and start stinging anything that moves.

Who could be responsible for this calamity? Commander Keen has no time for questions. He must infiltrate the colony, repair its engines, and shoot it far away from peaceful Mirthixia I before the Space Bees ruin everything.

I'm putting the backstory in small text here. Whether or not the villain's identity would be a secret until the end is up to the discretion of whomever may want to use this:

If you think about it, at the core of the official Keen story arc, we have a kid fighting back against his childhood bully. So what other kinds of villains would a child deal with? The prankster. The villain behind it all would be the king's jester, who, in an effort to conduct funnier and funnier pranks, has finally snapped. With some space ships, a little ingenuity, and pure madness, he managed to damage the hive enough to send it plummeting into the planet instead of passing by unhindered, thus targeting the most concentrated part of the festival in a darkly humorous ironic gesture.

Someone mentioned the problem of a narrow theme. If you'll notice, this story offers at least two potential level settings (the planet and the beehive, the latter which could probably have a few different themes) as well as something with which to replace the Council Members of Keen 4 (engines).

Some additional ideas:

* Molten honey instead of tar.

* Lots of uses of doors leading to chute endings (or just leading to inaccessible doors in the air). Seems appropriate for a place populated by creatures that can fly and crawl on walls.

* The Blue Bird's flying state seems like an obvious use for a bee-type enemy. If it could be modified in a few different and unique ways that would be great.

* The Sprite's shooting ability or the Berkeloid's tossing ability ought to be appropriated to some enemy as a stinger projectile.

* Workers - the stinger variety - should probably be a type that is always flying.

* Drones would probably exist only within the hive, and, since they are not a stinging variety, I'm thinking that they would stay on the ground more often. Perhaps a modification of the Mimrock's behavior, always pursuing Keen, and having a longer, more floaty jump arc when they get near him, to simulate flying without causing them to fly too much.

I'm just tossing out thoughts. If anybody wants to use them, go ahead. I don't really have time to dedicate to much.
Darziw Nogaj
Grunt

Post by Darziw Nogaj »

Quinton thought of making a mod out of this. Expect that it'll be an Vorticons mod instead of an Galaxy one, is that okay?
Last edited by Darziw Nogaj on Mon Jul 28, 2014 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

@Darziw Nogaj I believe all the ideas here are to be used in a Galaxy mod. Still, an additional vorticons mod wouldn't hurt. At least it would be easier to be made...

@Plasma Captain very nice ideas actually! I Especially like the molten honey and the Berkeloid's tossing ability. It's actually quite surprising what bees can do to spark ideas.