Abandoning a mod (DL here) + formulating new plans

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Abandoning a mod (DL here) + formulating new plans

Post by KeenRush »

Hi all... I haven't been working on any mods lately and I decided to abandon my current main project. It might be a step to the right direction.

My plan this time was to make a mod with guest levellers, to have more variation from the usual 16 KR levels and because I was really fascinated what all the different people could do with this mod's elements. I assembled the coolest 10-or-so person level team consisting of people whose Keen work I really like (and many more would have fit the list). Every person I contacted accepted the 'challenge' which was very heart-warming to me. However, just when things were just about to go loco, when I was thinking of what extra to add, trying to finalize things so everyone could design their levels, I got another crushing bout of depression and couldn't do anything with the mod (and haven't, until now)... I never did send anyone files. Sorry people! I'll ask you to another project one day... Heh. ;)

Anyway, I've now decided to abandon this project -- it simply doesn't fill me with enthusiasm, it would need something more and I don't want to work on it. It's something that keeps me away from projects that I like much more, that I have big plans for, that I really want to do. I guess this was all about the tech: I worked like a maniac designing this system and writing hundreds of lines of Assembly to get it working all the while learning new things about the workings of Keen. I don't want all that effort to vanish; so here you have four levels I made today. I also made the bug-spawner graphics today and they're rather uninspired, but all other graphics are somewhat nice in my view.

Give it a spin. Download, unzip, run play.bat. See help file and story in the game.
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1403635790

This should be a screenshot but I couldn't get it showing as an image. :furious bugmod.png

-------------------------

Part of me also wanted to show this before the Keen sources are released. I was for a moment depressed (sigh...) by the fact that the sources are on the way but I realized that the fun doesn't have to end and that dinosaurs like me won't have to be put to sleep. Fucl, many people still rock Atari and C64 more than ever! Everyone who wants to can continue modding the old way if that's the way they like. I feel (at the moment before the next wave of depression) that I'm far from finished, that I want to make several mods yet, and develop some tools and technologies that will be completely useless to everyone except me.

So. I'm wondering: what to do next?? There are several possibilities.

What my reasoning tells me to do is to do one mod I've been thinking of for maybe six or seven years. It always gets pushed back even if it's maybe one of my best ideas yet. Maybe I'm afraid I can't get my vision right.

And one of the things I'd like to do right now is a mod with only text patches, nothing else whatsoever. (I mean patch-wise.) But will that project get out of hand and I end patching in completely new enemies and gameplay things?

So yeah, I didn't really formulate a new plan. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

:O

Also, Dropbox mirror of the download and hotlinkable screenshot:

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, the source codes are still not out, so...

This looks cool! Too bad you get too distracted (a depression even?!?) and can't concentrate.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Un... beee..... OH MY GARG THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!

Too early for spoilers so that's all I can say now! Everyone needs to look at this!

Edit: there are definitely going to be levelpacks made for this mod!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I suggest we move ahead with the level design and make us a full, releasable mod.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.