Operation Stardust: collab K1 mod (team, check your e-mail!)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Just to be clear, within our 26 tiles, we're not responsible for Points, Keygems, Doors, or Bridges. We're responsible for solids, backgrounds, detail tiles, and animating things. And then our level should be constructed entirely out of our specific 26 tile palette, using whatever Points, Keygems, Doors, and Bridges we need? :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

XkyRauh wrote:Just to be clear, within our 26 tiles, we're not responsible for Points, Keygems, Doors, or Bridges. We're responsible for solids, backgrounds, detail tiles, and animating things. And then our level should be constructed entirely out of our specific 26 tile palette, using whatever Points, Keygems, Doors, and Bridges we need? :)
Precisely. At the moment it seems like we'll do it this way, 26 tiles per user, I think now more strongly than ever that it's the best way for this mod. :yorp So, you have two rows of own tiles, and I will provide the collectiables, doors, bridges, one solid-colour background tile (dark gray), some universal SGA signs and logos of this robot empire, etc., but the actual playable level will be made of everyone's own solid and other tiles.

I've just set a signing-up deadline for next Friday, so soon we'll get this project moving a bit. :) I'm hyped. 8) I'm trying to sketch and program some enemies this weekend.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Man I completely forgot to sign up for this for some reason. So here we are, I'm signing up! Making 26 detail/flourish still sounds a bit intimidating BUT let's do this thing. It's high time I did some more keenish stuff.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, you weren't in the team yet? :eek I totally didn't notice that, otherwise I would've pestered you to join already. :) Welcome aboard. So, cool -- the team is now 20 Keeners strong.

I think the 26 tiles challenge will make this pretty interesting. (And I've made entire mods with less. 8))
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm so ready to dive into this. :D A good crowd just keeps getting better too.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Aye. By the way, anyone know of an online project management system that is free and allows me to add 19 users? I spent hours looking for one and didn't find it. The features I need are simple: a little space for uploading files and some kind of system for messages. It seemed many softwares that one hosts by oneself (which I won't because I have no server space) would have what I need but the ones that work online have limits on user amount if you don't pay. Why I want this in the first place is that I want to keep the project and files and progress only known to the team, and a central place like that would be the easiest way to reach everybody with all updates.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Dropbox? I'm on like 5 projects that way. (Txt files allow messages.) I can't see why it couldn't handle 19 users in a shared folder though most of my projects are 3-6 users.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't think that's for me. Need something else with better messaging that allows images. And where somebody else can't accidentally mess up the shared files -- 20 users is quite a crowd. Well, I'll have time to think during the next week before the signing-up deadline.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I am in many ways an old-school man, so therefore let me suggest simple old-fashioned gmail. Send all the messages you like, with images or files attached.

Different parts of the project could be discussed and versions shared under different e-mail thread subjects, all with the full team present.

You could have topics such as:
"Level 11 Benvolio - what do you guys think"
"Colour patching - yay or nay?"
"Version Archive of Final Build"
etc etc.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Heh, that is too old-school for me. I never got into using e-mail like that. I need a forum-like system with topics and posts.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Back before Google revamped its Drive, it had the perfect system for this! It had a space for uploads, a threaded mini-message board, and allowed for multiple users. I miss that old setup. :)

Hopefully you can find something that will work for you!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I have found something: Zoho. Seems to work great; I've made the project and set up some things. I'll send the user invitations once the signing-up deadline is over and I have some in-game files to place there. Might be next weekend, might be later. :dopekeen
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

LET"S MAKE A SUB FORUM AT KEEN:MODDING IT"LL WORK GREAT GUISE
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

JUST LIKE THE LAST COMMUNITY PROJECT WE MADE!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I think KeenRush wants an element of privacy during production. I guess most of the most active Keeners are in on the project but I am sure there is a significant audience who KeenRush may wish to leave rapt with anticipation until the mod is released.