REQUEST: Shikadi Master sprite for Doom?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
StupidBunny
format c:

REQUEST: Shikadi Master sprite for Doom?

Post by StupidBunny »

I have a thread going at Doomworld asking nicely for people with more spriting talent than me to (help) make an awesome scary Shikadi Master sprite for a Doom level I'm making. The trick is that it would be present alongside the standard Doom bestiary which puts spriting for it beyond my simple EGA comfort zone. I figured I might as well ask the good people here nicely as well, since at least some of you have done stuff with Doom as well before. Two of them will feature as an end-of-level sub-boss thing of sorts, and since I already have Dehacked states experimentally ready all that would remain would be to draw the frames.

No pressure of course. I know y'all have Keen-related stuff to work on (as will I, when Operation: Stardust gets rolling ;) ), but I figured I'd throw this out there anyway. :dopekeen
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

This sounds interesting. I've never tried drawing the shikadi master before, but I will study him and see what I can do with aseprite. Monsters with transparency sure are neat. I tried to make a cthulhu once... didn't go so well.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Thanks for considering it. :) I envision kind of in the vein of this one I drew a while ago but if you're awesome enough to attempt to draw a Shikadi Master sprite then obviously the creative liberties are yours. The DW thread has a much more tl;dr sprite request but I can repost it here if you (and others) want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Funny that Shikadi Master is depicted on a planet with grass and trees. I'd imagined them living on some hyper-magnetic gas giant or the crystally shikadus portrayed in UTUIT.

edit: what do I use for a palette?
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Hah, I'm not sure where it's supposed to be. I was sitting out on a lawn one night and imagined a Shikadi Master teleporting in with big shafts of lightning and such. I guess that means he's in Oregon?

The WAD this is for is using an unmodified Doom II palette. If that's not a helpful answer I can do my homework and get back to you. :dopekeen
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Doom II is kind of low on cyans, isn't it? Too late, I already started with a palette I just made up with nothing but blues and cyans.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Oh wow, you started already! :D Hah that's fine, I'm sure it'll work. I guess you could do it more in the blue ranges, though Doom II's lightest blues are also pretty unsatisfactory for a Shikadi Master sprite (aka they're mostly way too dark.)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Sorry to make you wait. I made the outline last week, then put it off until today to color in the details.

Too big? Too hard to see? He's way bigger than doomguy, but should be shorter than a cyberdemon. I want feedback before attempting to make any more frames. How should he behave, btw?

edit: outline looks like this:

StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Ooooooh, that looks good! It looks even better against a dark background. The clawlike hands are a nice touch. I might suggest having fewer sparks towards the center and more towards the outline, that might make it look both more 3-dimensional and more defined. Alternatively (or also) the outline maybe could be the same color, but a pixel or two thicker?

In order to make it teleport very far in Dehacked, I make it move pretty fast, so its walk cycle would probably have to look more like running. The Dehacked I have made now (which I won't be able to send you for a couple days :( ) actually would involve a flying Shikadi Master, which in my mind's eye is hard to do that without it looking too cartoony or silly.

The Shikadi Master has one attack, for which it teleports and then, as it teleports in, it releases a flurry of plasma bolts before continuing to chase the player. I'm currently just recycling teleport frog sprites for the "teleporting in" states but if you feel like drawing your own then that would be awesome too. For the death states I imagine it just kind of evaporating into ether, though maybe a more explodey death animation could be cool.

Thanks a lot for doing this! It'll look rad in game once it's all done and stuff. If you want more specific info let me know.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

DeHacked? There's this thing called DECORATE now. It's a lot better. 8)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I knooooooooow but the maps are all limit-removing-compatible and I guess I'd like to keep them that way. :crazy
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

huh? :confused
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

That is to say, they're currently compatible with any limit-removing source port. I guess I'd only want to use DECORATE if I made all the maps ZDoom format, since Dehacked more or less does what I want and I'm enjoying the project more within certain limits anyways.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I hope I can get this to run on my music player. It doesn't like mods that much... :(
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I want it to run on my game boy color.