Final screen saving problem

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Final screen saving problem

Post by szemi »

I've edited the Keen 4 final screen (DOS-SCREEN0.BIN) and saved it in TheDraw. I've imported it with Keengraph after that. Then when I quit the game, the screen is still messed up. Why?

Edit: I don't know what the problem is. I tried several times and no good result. :/

Edit 2: In TheDraw the final screen is completely okay, but when I imported it with Keengraph + then I quit, it messes up as I said. And this problem happened to me when I modded Keen 4-6, but at that time somehow I could fix the problem and managed to make everything right, but now whatever I do in Keen 4, the final screen still messed up (despite of changing the final screen file million times) and don't know why.
Last edited by szemi on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:20, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Every time I put down TheDraw, I forget how to use it. :o
Well something went wrong somewhere. What about your patch file? I've never edited the end screen before. That's the advertisement stuff after you quit the game, right?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Yeah, the final screen is the advertisement stuff. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Hmm... I'll look into it tonight or tomorrow and see what I come up with. It might be helpful if you send your files to me, although you probably have as much experience with TheDraw as I do. Not entirely sure if I can find the problem, but I'm up for giving it a try.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well man, I checked and the problem is absolutely unknown for me.
Yeah, piece of cake!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I don't know, but something whispers that KeenGraph has done something to the final screen.

Due to this problem I have no mood to continue my Keen 4 translation. :/
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Ah see, I don't know how KeenScr/TheDraw works with the KeenGraph exports. Maybe you could start over using modkeen? I only know as much as Ceilick's modding tut tells me. :crazy
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Man, I restarted my translation project, but whatever I do (re-importing, restarting, etc.), nothing. Whatever I do, that final screen is messed up.

Wish Levellass was here to help.
Yeah, piece of cake!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I can't tell for sure, but maybe it's just a side-effect of bugs that KeenGraph has. Among other issues, I remember that if you import some data with KeenGraph and then export the newly generated data, a few files may be missing. Might be some BIN file, or maybe a demo, not sure at the moment. (It was also for Bio Menace IIRC, but it may be similar for the Keens.)

Not saying that KeenGraph is that bad. As far as I know it has been useful for (relatively) many modders, including me (at least for Bio Menace, in the past). But it's better to be aware of possible issues at the least.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's either been saved in the wrong format, named wrong or it's a hiccup. Since Abithar came along KeenGraph hasn't been that important.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Well, Abiathar can't actually edit the graphics. I have been hearing about some issues with KG recently and thinking about starting my own xGAGRAPH importer/exporter that can deal with custom chunk offsets (and is written in .NET for better stability and maintainability).
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

*xGARGRAPH
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keening_Product wrote:*xGARGRAPH
No, that's Keengraph's core code; designed so that whatever you do eventually you turn green and start yelling loudly at your screen.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.