Keen:Life Trilogy -- my concept for a mod trilogy

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

Should this be made?

Yes!
67%
Don't bother
33%

Total votes: 12

KeenRush
Android Dummy

Keen:Life Trilogy -- my concept for a mod trilogy

Post by KeenRush »

Despite my shaky performance at the wheel of Operation Stardust, I've been pondering about my next mod project. As often, I have several started and in various states of not-advancing. And as might be known, time is finite, and it starts to look like I can't get everything I ever think about done. So. Instead of just releasing mods out of nowhere, this time I decided to introduce my ideas to the audience before doing much work. I have done some work on these, mainly patch-tech and game ideas, but much much remains to be done.

My idea is to make a trilogy of mods, all focused on Commander Keen's life. While I've had some serious ideas in my mods before (killing Keen, portraying him as a remorseless psycho, etc.) all that is kind of naive. The focus of this trilogy is more real concerns. You might wonder why I can't just make something happy and in Keen spirit. I just want to make my next mods mean something more. That's all. I want there to be a message. I'm not aiming these to young players who don't know sh-t about anything. I'm aiming these to people of my age, approaching 30s, or older. I've come to realize I'm not that young anymore. So why shouldn't my mod stories be more mature? :freud

These are not titled yet, but these should give some insight.

Episode 1
Mortimer McMire and Princess Lindsey become an item, so to speak. Mortimer no longer wants the Universe to be destroyed. But he is presently entrapped by his own machinery, which he designed so that Keen would 99.99% surely fail to stop his plans. But now his plans must be stopped, and he himself can't help, since he's imprisoned by his devices. As is Lindsey. Can Keen summon the courage to save the Universe at the cost of losing his true love to his worst enemy? (Note: Yes, I know that an eight-year old might not think in such terms or concepts, but this is Keen we're talking about, his high IQ allowing him some more insight into his own emotions. :dopekeen)

Episode 2
Heavily drinking, heavily weighing, working a menial job, most of his IQ gone, 30-year old Billy Blaze doesn't see further than the weekend. Working at one of the wildest Xablon processing units, he is a nihilist and totally numb. Something happens, however, and he is jolted awake a bit. He has to make a choice: Save the plant and be rewarded heavily (McMire Industries is known to be generous to those who are loyal) or take a different path and save his co-worker, the 'humanliest looking gal in sector 5', Sue. Wealth (and Sue's demise) or possibly a new love (and no ca$h)?

Episode 3
Alone in his crumbling and barely floating space mansion, Billy Blaze, 108, feels his mind crumbling and his body weakening. He receives a plea from the Princess, whose voice he has not heard in decades and decades. In the flickering hologram, she looks not a day older than 40. Mortimer is near dying. Lindsey knows Keen has been awarded life-extending potion (or something, I haven't sorted all this garg out yet) for his invaluable services to the Council, and the Gnosticene Ancients never forget, even if they might look like it. Could Keen, who Lindsey knows hasn't accepted the gift, pass it over to Mortimer, in case he doesn't need it? Will Keen spend the last moments of his life (he feels it in his bones that he is dying soon) in trying to extend Mortimer's life? (For some reason the potion is lost and a difficult journey must be made.) Is the old grudge now forgotten? (Notice that this episode is the same whether Keen saved Sue or not, if so, she is dead by now, if he got rich, he has spent it all.)

I don't know. Now when I wrote these down it feels like a gigantic, useless task. I don't know what to do. But what do you think? :)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Honestly I find it strange that every portrayal of Keen beyond his childhood seems to revolve around major failures of his lifestyle and collapse of his astounding intellect. Is this some kind of collective mid-life crisis of the Keen community? This seems as naive as anything to me. I see Keen becoming more like Tesla, thwarted if anything by the limits of his society rather than by his own vices. But given the existence of worlds beyond his own, that should be less of a factor. Also Keen is too smart for relationship drama.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Good points there. And :lol yeah, I don't know why it's that way. For some reason I just see it that his life is too good and therefore it must come crashing down. I see his passion for justice fading, cynicism settling in, fight -- and through that adventure -- stopping, then nothing but turning his addiction from sugar to liquor because it's more self-destructive. He becomes vile: he has to consider between wealth and saving someone's life. As for relationship dramas, to me that sounds like some sort of pitiful and irrational behaviour. Yes, these mods are simple-minded in these choices, but they're deep choices in their own way, and the drama is not the kind one might see in ordinary world: Keen is not acting to revenge Mortimer for 'stealing' his love, etc. The mod is about letting personal feelings go for greater good (the Universe's future). The end of that mod is something that begins his corruption, the realization that for him it's not enough that everyone else is happy. It's an interesting topic, the way fans see these aspects of Keen, how do they picture him as an adult, etc. I like your vision, I've never thought that -- which explains a lot, no doubt; in my case my imagination is closely connected to near suicidal states of depression. I can't imagine life that is good throughout and progressing all the while. These concepts don't exist to me.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Looks like Mortimer and Keen both wasted their lives rather than researching life-extension.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't see how not researching life-extension is waste of life. :disguised
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Assuming you're being serious...

Consider that, in episode 3, Mortimer is actually trying to get his life extended. Why would he be trying to do that, unless his continued existence were valuable? And if it is indeed valuable, why wasn't he addressing the aging issue from the start? It's not as if he wouldn't have seen it coming a long way off.

Furthermore, and unlike real-life humans, he and Keen are super-genuises who invented interstellar travel after school hours. It's actually a little hard to believe they wouldn't have solved aging (as well as making backups for accidental death, etc) as soon as one of them decided to devote a little time to it. In reality, aging is probably a much easier problem than breaking the speed of light barrier - the former may realistically be fixed within a few centuries (if we're very, very lucky, decades), while the latter may never be solved.

Incidentally, I wonder how Keen's "lives" would work in-universe, in a way that Mortimer couldn't simply lose a life due to aging and end up young again. Maybe Keen's playthroughs use a Thinker power that lets him map the possible paths through a level, until he finally finds a path to victory. It would explain why the enemies start at the same spot each time, without any of Keen's previous actions carrying over. Simulated deaths and repeated retries are tiring, eventually giving Keen a Thinker headache, putting him out of commission unless he has Lifewater/Vitalin to cure it and/or enough sugar to distract himself from it. Doesn't entirely make sense, but it's as entertaining a new headcanon as any.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Actually, the more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to have a mental illness, such as depression. I wouldn't be surprised if an older Keen was much more weary. This is not to say that the alternative possibility is invalid, though.

I think the idea of the dynamic changing between Blaze and McMire, and the idea of deciding whether to save him or yourself, is rather interesting.

Also, with regards to KeenEmpire, once you start trying to figure out how gaming abstractions such as lives work in canon, things get a little too convoluted and ridiculous (source: experience). I don't think that most games that include a lives system intend for that to be a literal story element. It's just a method of creating challenging gameplay. If you want to work multiple lives into a game's story, then you'd better have a really good, deep story that revolves at least in part around that concept, because anything less than that is just going to seem either needlessly convoluted and/or pretentious.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Commander Spleen wrote:Honestly I find it strange that every portrayal of Keen beyond his childhood seems to revolve around major failures of his lifestyle and collapse of his astounding intellect. Is this some kind of collective mid-life crisis of the Keen community? This seems as naive as anything to me. I see Keen becoming more like Tesla, thwarted if anything by the limits of his society rather than by his own vices. But given the existence of worlds beyond his own, that should be less of a factor. Also Keen is too smart for relationship drama.
Keen is a tragic hero, it seems.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Commander Spleen wrote:But given the existence of worlds beyond his own, that should be less of a factor.
One approach is to shut that right down. There is no more space travel; it is now either too dangerous, or downright impossible. Maybe the Vorticons and Shikadi encountered Eldritch Horrors, from which the only hope of keeping one's home planet safe is to recall absolutely every person. Maybe they discover that the empty space between the stars is screaming, increasingly driving spacefaring civilizations insane. Maybe the pan-galactic jailers rewrote the laws of physics, removing all possibility for FTL travel.

The hope and optimism that, at first, drove Commander Keen onwards, is replaced by crushing despair. They are trapped. It's also symbolic of the disillusionment upon growing up, realizing that so much that one had earlier dreamed of is not possible.

Bonus points if Mortimer had a rational reason for wanting the universe destroyed.
Commander Spleen wrote:Also Keen is too smart for relationship drama.
It might claim a couple of his lives, however.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

You're not giving enough credit to "young players who don't know sh-t about anything." You think dark, cynical overtones and difficult ethical choice dilemmas is beyond their intellectual limit?

I hate that; The IRL trope that kids are idiotic know-nothings and adults get to have "experience" just for the sake of having lived longer even if they've done and studied absolutely nothing in all that time, with the world wide web kids grew up with as an informational resource that old folks are scared of being a non-factor.

I'm of the rare opinion that the older generations are the mental wimps. You even admit in your own mod pitch that Keen's IQ dropped as he aged. What they call mature entertainment is remarkably childish. Just because ESRB slapped an M on it doesn't make it deep, complex, engaging material for an adult material. Guns, boobies and laughable cussing are tacked into these things specifically to attract the pre-teens who haven't been jaded by "cool stuff we're not allowed to see." Oh... I get it now. This is for keeners approaching their 30s because Billy downs liquor instead of vitalin. That's not alien to a kid audience. I was watching the Simpsons in my single digits.

There's a saying that good children's entertainment should be enjoyable for adults, but I think the reverse should be true, too.
/rant

Anyway...
I think an idea like this needs to be more abstract. Most of your mods usually are abstract art filled with lovecraftian non-explanation, but this is a very specific narrative for mods about the concept of young keen->adult keen->old keen. Maybe it could be mods set in Keen's own mind, seeing his own memories over the years of his life.

I don't like pidgeonholing Princess Lindsley into a love interest. Does every female in fiction need to have a relation to one of the male characters?

What's written here looks like standard fare for fanfiction, minus the mary sue OC protagonist (oh, wait, there's a sue in episode 2). A mod about Keen saving Mortimer's life at the expense of his own could be interesting subject material, but this particular setup with life extending potion is questionable, as KeenEmpire pointed out.

This pitch surprised me, because usually your mods are about showcasing a new type of puzzle-oriented gameplay from an invented patch, but there's no mention of mechanics in this.

Sorry if that was too critical. Maybe this is one of those things that looks better in realization than it does on paper. They're very loosely connection, the only thing being "this is a different point in Keen's life" as the connecting theme, which could be trippy and thought-provoking in it's own merits.

That's all I can think of to say, so end of post.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

VikingBoyBilly: I don't think as a kid or young teen you can think of death and love and whatever in the same way as you can as an older person. I just don't buy it. The mind needs to develop further and only aging can do it, the passage of time and during it witnessing human behaviour and thinking about matters. I don't believe you gain perspective to anything without life experiences that are real, situations where pain (physical and mental) is real. Those youngings may be clever but they don't really understand things. Just like those guys who play warfare games but have never held a gun not to mention shot somebody -- they don't know sh-t. Ok, maybe I sounded too harsh, it's not their fault. They're too young. One day they understand things better. I just don't believe a kid can have the same feelings and thoughts that an adult does.

As for Lindsey, no other reason than that I wanted lost love to be part of the plot. Why introduce a new character if the story can be realized with the existing ones? It's a bit silly to use these characters for such a plot in the first place but I want it to be a Keen mod so... :)
This pitch surprised me, because usually your mods are about showcasing a new type of puzzle-oriented gameplay from an invented patch, but there's no mention of mechanics in this.
I wouldn't say usually, as far as I know I've done that only once, using lemm's scrolling screen patch in Extinction. In Fall Up the gravity altering system was all mine, the only pre-existing part of that was the knowledge of the right memory address to change in order to change gravity. But it certainly starts to look like I will keep to stories that are not stories and just present different mechanics and sadistic levels without any reason...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

KeenRush wrote:VikingBoyBilly: [textwall]
Yeah, yeah, I see what you're saying. It's arguable there's kids in some parts of the world that have to go through some rough garg (GARG! GARG! not "sh-t"!), but they're not exactly playing Keen mods, are they? (those teenagers that called themselves gangsters who weren't in gangs really pzzed me off :celtic )

So how complicated are the situations we're dealing with get? Just looks like life or death, damsel in distress stuff on the surface (the damsel's boyfriend is the one in distress, I guess). Is Keen going to ever contemplate the millions of vorticon deaths that bloodied his hands? OOH! I know! He'll summon Disney magic and bring them all back to life with the dragonballs and they'll all instantly forgive him. Death is reversible! What a happy lesson that allows Keen not to have permanent consequences for his actions. Hooray!
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Just looks like life or death, damsel in distress stuff on the surface (the damsel's boyfriend is the one in distress, I guess).

Mortimer as the damsel in distress is pretty great. LOL

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Is Keen going to ever contemplate the millions of vorticon deaths that bloodied his hands?

I've contemplated this a lot over the years. Canon Keen is darker than people give it credit.

About kids and death... Well, I don't really know. I grew up with people I cared about dying left and right; it has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. I'm not sure if I should go into much detail, but suffice it to say that I have pondered the nature of death since I was a child.

I agree that many video game players probably don't care about deep or engaging plot, though.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Sorry man (Plasma Captain), I somehow wrote my own post over yours! But I managed to rescue the old post but the formatting went a bit wrong. So sorry. I meant to quote you and somehow went editing your post... :dead Here's what I was meant to make as my own post:

Yes, the original trilogy is dark. They mellowed it a lot in new Keens with the arrival of the stunner. Personally I don't care about the shooting element and my next mods -- be they these or something else -- aren't going to include it.
About kids and death... Well, I don't really know. I grew up with people I cared about dying left and right; it has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. I'm not sure if I should go into much detail, but suffice it to say that I have pondered the nature of death since I was a child.
As have I, and it's entirely different now, isn't it? Or at least I didn't have such insight (if we can say that) of it as I do now. Most kids (even adults) don't think it considers them particularly. But I guess it makes no sense to make mods like these. Most people don't read the stories anyway. Doesn't matter. :bloody
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Hahahah, that's alright.

Anyway, I guess it's different now in that I have grown used to it. I believe that now, I would still get about as upset as I did before when someone close to me passes away. I can't remember a time when I didn't recognize death as permanent; my only indication that there was such a time is a story told about something I said when I was 3 or 4, which I cannot remember. I wasn't coddled and lied to about death as a child like some kids are. I don't understand why some parents go out of the way to do that... how irresponsible. A close friend of mine said that he can distinctly remember the time when he was first told that things die, because his grandparents had always taken care to pretend that nothing dies, presumably so they didn't have to bother discussing important life facts with a growing child. That boggles my mind.

I have known many kids who didn't appreciate life or death, I guess. Some adults too.

Maybe if you could explain the type of insight gained through age that you're referencing, it would better help me understand where you're coming from. It's difficult for me to examine in great detail memories that I've locked away unless I have a specific query. I find this conversation interesting, though I hope not to derail the thread.

EDIT: Oh, crap. I forgot about the other thing that you said. While many people aren't going to read story text, you can still force them to experience a story through playing the game itself. I feel that this could even work to advantage in a game like Keen, as players aren't going in expecting something deep.