Something occured at Mortimer Day.

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Something occured at Mortimer Day.

Post by Quillax »

Since I announced it at my website, I decided to announce it here too.
Quinton Land wrote:Well, I decided to annouce some bad news, which happen at Mortimer Day (March 15). The tileset for my next mod got corrupted. Yeah, I decided to something for fun, but I didn't know that it would just actually corrupt my tileset. Everything in the tileset, points, hazards, grounds, all in my tileset are lost forever. The good news, though, is that the Commander Keen and enemy sprites are perfectly fine. Plus, I didn't get too far in modifying it.
I copied and pasted it here from the news post, because I'm sort of lazy. Please don't feel too sad about this event, PCKFers. :( Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I don't know where else this would go.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Ouch!

To prevent something unfortunate like this from happening again, I recommend Dropbox. It's a cloud storage platform that syncs all your stuff to computers you link to your account, and it keeps every version you've ever saved of any file (for 30 days). That means that if something gets messed up, you can just go to the web site and restore previous versions, which will arrive on the local directory on your computer within seconds. You start with 2.5GB free and can expand it by paying money, inviting friends, or participating in occasional special events. Dropbox also can function as file sharing and public web hosting.

(I'm not affiliated with Dropbox, I just enjoy using it. It's certainly saved me from this sort of unfortunate situation before.)

Looking forward to your next production,

Fleexy
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, damn. That hasn't happened to me but I've sometimes saved a new level over another level by accident and thus lost the other. Had I had backup there would've been no problem... But I didn't. I still don't take them. :dead
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed; regular backups (Just send it to a zip file) are a good way to avoid this sort of thing. I've had a few close shaves myself and sometimes needed to roll back several backups to see what was wrong.

On the upside this happened to me with my first mod and I cam back much stronger having redesigned everything from scratch.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

This is all Mort's fault. I'm really sorry to hear the bed news, Quinton. It's so terrible to lose all that work!

I have so many backups, my computer is a mess now. :rolleyes
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

If its a vorticons mod, the artwork should still be okay. You just have to recode the tiles, which shouldn't take *too long*. Don't know what it would involve for a galaxy mod though.

I discovered some time ago that if I use tileinfo, if I export the data and then save the data, I will definitely corrupt the tileset. Not really sure why.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Quinton, try a program called Recuva. You might get your tiles back! :dopekeen
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Well, I have re-done my tiles from scratch. Their were 13 modified tiles before the tileset got corrupted, and now theirs 13 modified tiles after the tileset got corrupted. :D :goth I thought of making a topic (at the Unofficial Keen Games forum) for my mod at some point. ;)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!