Are mods fanfiction?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Nospike wrote:Gonna have to stop you there - there are *some* decent fics on fanfiction.net. True, about 50% of the content is utter crap and most of the other 50% is kinda meh and not really worth reading, but every now and then you can find some gems that will really leave you entertained and with no regrets. Usually one-shots and believable humour fics.
If the fanfic author knows that what they're writing is a fanfic, it doesn't count as a fanfic.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Behold, VBB writer of the Oxford dictionary and provider of definitions for all of us.

Tell us VBB, when does life begin? At conception or later? What exactly IS animus, the SCOUTS wants to know.

And remember, if you've had a light lunch that packet of biscuits after doesn't count.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Animu is anything that's anime, provided it's featured on Encyclopedia Dramatica. If the anime in question has no ED page, it is not an animu.

I'd say the ova are life forms, whereas the common misconception is that sperm is the "pre-human," which it certainly is not.

Do you take the oxford dictionary seriously? Do you really? American heritage was a lot funnier, because you could click the megaphone button to make it say "diarrhea" over and over.

Biscuits are a bread. They most certainly "count," but if I am hungry and they are available, I will eat them. If I am not hungry and they are scarce, I will also be forced into a position of eating them while there's still time and opportunity left.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Animus VBB, animus. It's a hot issue currently because the US has ruled that something is not discriminatory unless there is an animus behind it. See http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volo ... ity-cases/

This is interesting; several people have argued and even attempted to legally enforce the idea that life begins at ovulation or around two weeks before conception: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/1 ... 15715.html

Actually I'm more a Webster fan myself.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I'd qualify my mods as fan fiction. *shrug* I'm a fan of the character, and I'm creating a plot for that character.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I can't tell if VBB is entirely serious or not but defining what genre or medium something is by how good you think it is is just silly. So is using the word fanon to mean the subset of fanworks that meet your standards. People who are aware of what fanon is usually understood to mean will either be confused or just think you're misusing the term.

I suppose you could argue that mods and hacks are a subset of fangames or their own category of fan/unofficial media and that only their plots are fanfiction though.

Here's a question, though, what about mods like Bazooka Wowbagger that have stories and characters unrelated to Commander Keen? I guess those presumably would be categorised simply as games that use another game's engine.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think we can take Levellass's idea and call good fanfiction "mods" and bad mods "fanfiction." I think I'll start making the fanfiction mod soon (a complementary piece to her mod fanfiction), since Keen Meets the Meats is out of the way.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Good news, everyone! Mods are Word of Dante.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Yes.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The proper use of the word Fanon.

See, I was right! Proof by example.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

what

Actually, I'm interested in seeing mods being adapted into a written story.
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

Keen mods are FICTIONAL and made by keen FANS. therefore they are "fan""fictions". people can name it whatever they want and live in they own little world, but keen mods are definitely fanfictions.
Last edited by cyber zero on Fri Sep 04, 2015 0:15, edited 1 time in total.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Except for DDICI. That is a documentary.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Benvolio wrote:Except for DDICI. That is a documentary.
I preferred Louis Theroux's take.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass