Odd request for odd Keen fangame

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
q 90
Vortininja

Odd request for odd Keen fangame

Post by q 90 »

Would anybody be willing to draw a pixelized dumpster for a fangame I'm in the process of making? I can't seem to find any on the Internet.
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

you might want to add the flowing :
object size in pixels like 32x48
colour depth 16 , 256 , 16 bit ect
object depth 2D 2,5D 3D
object style from really simple to photorealistic
(i used to be ME!)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

You want the dumpster to be flat and facing you from the front? At a 45 degree angle? Or facing you from the side? I might try drawing one. Those specifications will really help memsys =)

And uh, is this for keens 1-3 or Keens 4-6? There are big graphical differences there.

EDIT: I went ahead and drew a dumpster in a 3/4 view, assuming the graphic is for Keens 1-3. Do you like it?

DEVIANTART LINK

it's 48x32 in height i believe and the color scheme should hopefully fit the pallette
Heheh, I've been getting a lot of practice with this pixel stuff with my Doom modding and I dare say my skills are growing :disguised
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

hehe it was a reply to q90 to tell hem that if he makes a request that he should give that kind of info
(i used to be ME!)
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

So sorry I didn't include much more info!!! I had realized that after I posted the topic I was a tad too vague, but then I had to go to work so I was unable to fix anything.

The dumpster looks great! But I'm kinda doing it in the style of Keens 4-6. Do you think you could do one like that? If you don't want to I can still use the 1-3 version. The style of it is going to be kind of a pastiche of a bunch of different images from a bunch of different sources, but with photorealistic backgrounds. Here is a screenshot of the PRE-ALPHA version:
I'm still fixing bugs with the engine, but I think I've perfected Keen-like movement in Click n' Create - you no longer "bounce" when holding down the Jump button, and there's a fully-functioning pogo, but unfortunately you have to utilize one button to activate it and another to deactivate it. It's easy to get used to after awhile. Although I haven't even started on platforms yet :bloody
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Hmm, a collage fangame... interesting. It looks strangely dreamlike. Maybe you could try scaling the backdrops down so that Keen is actually the right proportion, but it might be satisfactorily surreal to keep it as-is.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

That entire ten minutes of my hard work was in vain :(
Maybe you could scale it to 2x it's size to put it in proportion to Keen or something.
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Haha it's okay, I'll still use your artwork. Scaling it is no problemo, it'll probably even fit more with the "surreal" aspect that way.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Actually I took the time to compare with one of Keen's bigger sprites, and it looks like it will still fit in well with both styles of Keen. It's just closer to being keen's height, rather than being about a head or two taller than him.
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Thanks for finding the surreality of it interesting, Spleen. That's pretty much what I'm going for with this; basically, Keen wakes up near a dumpster in a back-alley with absolutely no recollection of who or where he is. When exits the alley, he enters a surreal dream-world and can't tell if he's been kidnapped, in the afterlife, or if someone slipped him some LSD.

And yes, VikingBoyBilly, the graphic looks completely fine:
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »