Fanfic: Commander Keen and the Revenge of the Xerthans

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Fanfic: Commander Keen and the Revenge of the Xerthans

Post by Grimson »

Foreword: This is actually the story of a mod/game project I have been developing, featuring an adolescent Keen. It's going to be too long to be actually featured in the mod/game, so I'm posting it here as I go. Hope you have a good read, and don't forget to comment :) Expect following chapters (and EGA artwork!) soon.

Title: Commander Keen Episode Whatever: Revenge of the Xerthans

Chapter I: Goodbye Commander Keen

The story so far...

Billy Blaze, thirteen year-old pogo prodigy, practicing diligently in the local skate park has mastered his latest stunt – the 360° Bean-with-Bacon. While his folks are home babysitting his sister, Billy travels to the skate park, dons his BMX helmet, and transforms into...

WILL BLAZE...just an average teenager with a passion for pogoing.

Now, you must be thinking “wait a second – what happened to Commander Keen?” Adolescence, that's what happened. Oh, and the untimely passing of Spot, his trusty, one-eyed Martian companion.

Four years ago, vicious aliens called Xerthans, kidnapped Spot in order to prevent Commander Keen from interfering with their plans. Needless to say, the rescue operation went horribly wrong. Keen fought his way through a Xerthan space station to confront the Xerthan overlord, who was holding Spot hostage in an airlock. A fierce firefight ensued, and the Xerthan overlord was defeated. However, when Keen was about to pull a lever to free Spot, the overlord regained consciousness. It toppled Keen over the lever, causing Spot to be ejected into the cold void of space. Keen, shocked and furious, overcharged his neural stunner and blasted at the overlord, literally frying its brain. He frantically searched for Spot in the station’s monitors, all in vain. Spot...was gone.

Keen was devastated. He abandoned his past inventions, his trusty neural stunner, even the BwB megarocket – and returned his brother’s bumpy football helmet – for good. He returned to being just Billy, an average boy with an average life. He would no longer explore space, or invent wondrous machines. His parents, worried about their son’s gloominess, tried to talk him out of abandoning everything that he used to enjoy. They told him to hold into something, so he decided to keep his pogo.

Soon, Billy rediscovered the feeling of comfort and adrenaline-induced joy in pogoing, and it became his passionate hobby. He would perform tricks and stunts to impress his friends, and even got some to race with him, just for fun of course.

As years passed on, Billy’s memories of his childhood adventures as Commander Keen, his inventions, even Spot, grew blurry and slowly faded away...

To be continued in Chapter II: A Call for Hero
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I like how Spot is involved in the story. I don't know if Billy could hold off on inventing things and tinkering. He probably started to invent things around the house to help his folks. Maybe the worlds first best food processor, ya know? Because of the traumatic experience, a shift in the creative headspace...
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

This was pretty neat! I noticed you're going the route like from the movie "Hook", where the childhood hero grows up and conforms to the real world. But I like how his shift was actually caused by a traumatic experience rather than just simply growing up.

I also like really the name Xerthans for aliens-- which has that Keen-ish style of crazy alien names.

I also thought
dons his BMX helmet, and transforms into...

WILL BLAZE...just an average teenager with a passion for pogoing.
was a great line.

Do you plan to have a comedic tone, something more serious, or just light hearted (kind of in the middle)?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Come with something more original than "360° Bean-with-Bacon". This has been overused.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

You gave me an idea for the third episode of Keen 2.5D: The Quest for Spot's Collar. Too bad I'm yet to finish the first two episodes.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

I really like this. The best thing about it is that's its told so susinctly. You get a lot of info across in a relatively brief narrative, so it's easy and fun to read. Great job.