Commander Keen in the newspaper?!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Catwafer
Grunt

Commander Keen in the newspaper?!

Post by Catwafer »

Sorry to get your hopes up, but, not really.

Still, the FIRST thing I thought when I saw this ad was "holy crap, it looks like Commander Keen!"

I guess the question here is: have you had any similar experiences? Seeing stuff and thinking "Commander Keen, is that you?!"

I imagine nearly anything with a Packer's helmet in it would probably have a similar effect. :crazy
Last edited by Catwafer on Thu May 05, 2011 6:41, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Hmm, I dunno about nerd... I'd be more inclined to use the word geek. The way I see it, geek is to goth as nerd is to emo. (I wonder where punk fits into this analogy?)

That drawing definitely shouts Keen to me. But we already know I'm a geek. I wonder if it was at all intentional. It's hard to tell, as the helmet fits the theme so well.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Commander Spleen wrote:Hmm, I dunno about nerd... I'd be more inclined to use the word geek. The way I see it, geek is to goth as nerd is to emo. (I wonder where punk fits into this analogy?
The way I understand it, Nerdiness is more extreme and has more obscure tastes than Geeks, such as mathematics, science or computer programming.

Geeks usually are just obsessed (Nerds can be too), but usually their obsessions wouldn't contradict society. So for instance those people who dress up in jedi robes and wait outside of movie theaters? I would call those geeks, however Star Wars is popular among more people (though I am sure there is someone around waiting to say they don't like it :P), whereas most people I know don't like math.

Here is a good page on the difference (in the 1st part anyways, I didn't read the "steps" part):
http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Differe ... -and-Geeks
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

"SEGA Genesis Game Music played by a Japanese Heavy Metal Band" (From the arcticle)
...hmm. This looks like a job for Google!! (btw, for something similar, look up a band called Powerglove.)

I prefer the term nerd over geek. I don't care what "differences" there are. (Although, according to wikihow, I would technically be both... well, not so much nerd yet, but I'm getting there. :p)
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

nice edit allstories :)

and as for my geeky/nerdy-ness i'm both 8)
(i used to be ME!)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Indeed, well said Allstories.

Actually, after reading that wikihow entry, perhaps my goth/emo analogy needs adjustment. Maybe this fits better: goth, emo, punk; nerd, dork, geek

Or maybe I'm just talking fecal matter and none of it makes sense.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Commander Spleen wrote: Geeks usually are just obsessed (Nerds can be too), but usually their obsessions wouldn't contradict society. So for instance those people who dress up in jedi robes and wait outside of movie theaters? I would call those geeks, however Star Wars is popular among more people (though I am sure there is someone around waiting to say they don't like it :P), whereas most people I know don't like math.
I don't like star wars :p

I'll be a geek only if I can be cool at the same time, if at all possible :dopekeen
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Spleen, where does "hipster" fit in with your analogies? I pretty much embody that stereotype, I have to say. I practically live at Urban Outfitters.
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Viking, Lava wrote that. :celtic
Q90 wrote:Spleen, where does "hipster" fit in with your analogies?
Crap. I was unfamiliar with the term except in passing until now. That turns everything upside down. It seems to sum me up quite well also.

Welp, back to the drawing board on that one.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Interesting. It could be influenced by Keen. Nice edit. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Windows's 3D Pinball Space Cadet table. Anyone?
Catwafer
Grunt

Post by Catwafer »

Genius314 wrote:(btw, for something similar, look up a band called Powerglove.)[/size]
Powerglove is awesome.
Just like that peachy Keen colouring job up there :D
(didja see what I did thar?)
Apeiron
Vortininja

Post by Apeiron »

Yeah, he's similar to our hero, but the boy doesn't look so keen like Keen. :p
Kayburt
Vortininja

Re: Commander Keen in the newspaper?!

Post by Kayburt »

The closest resemblance to Commander Keen in a newspaper I saw was Captain Baseball Bat and Bicycle Helmet Girl in Max Payne.