What Keens should I play?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Post by GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon »

cyber zero wrote:The old and original stuff will be always here for us to play or watch. They're not going away. So I don't see what's the problem is.
Well gaming-wise I can see an issue in that some of us wanted to see more stuff, new stuff from a game series (like, let's say, Devil May Cry) but the developer decides to reboot it and it turns to absolute crap (Disclaimer: I'm not saying DmC is crap, I haven't played it yet, I hated what they showed us at first but they seemed to improve on it a smidge from the last trailer I saw. So I dunno.)

So then we're left with the crappy reboot and because games are becoming less and less moddable these days, us fans can't do a whole lot about it. Yes we can go back and play the original stuff but a lot of times doing that still makes us yearn for something new on that stuff (like Commander Keen, I was disheartened to learn the "Universe is Toast" series would not actually be made. Brightened my life up when I found out this community made one that more than did it justice.)

So I can see where they're coming from.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm completely right and you can't stop me from being right.

In theory, Doom 3 should be a good game, and it kind of is. But being a reboot, on top of the repetitive design choices (because dooms 1, 2, and 64 were NEVER repetitive, m i rite?) was a waste of excellent resources. It's the same story with Duke Nukem Forever (except, you know, that's not a reboot, so forget that point), and it's what I fear is going to become of whatever non-keen game you're talking about.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Duke Nukem Forever

*HISS*

That. It should not be spoken of.

DooM 3 was a good game, but not as good as it could have been. (Still love a lot of things they did. Especially with monster design.) It should have kept its old fast paced run & gun formula, you know, the one that made DooM the DooM that people loved and still love to this day? The one they're trying to replicate with this new reboot?

I dunno why it was even called Doom 3 considering it was a reboot though...
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote: I dunno why it was even called Doom 3 considering it was a reboot though...
Because it's the third game in the series.
The more important question is why are they not calling the new Doom game Doom 4?
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

ScarletFlame wrote:
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote: I dunno why it was even called Doom 3 considering it was a reboot though...
Because it's the third game in the series.
The more important question is why are they not calling the new Doom game Doom 4?
Because it's a reboot.

Normally, reboots don't get numbered.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Question; if a reboot of keen was announced would you be more joyful or horrified?

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Dont give me that garg about my little pony: friendship is vorticola.
Season 1 Episode 1: Princess Lindsey summons the Power Ponies from the city of Calidune and tasks them with the recovery of the Daikatana, a mythical weapon of incredible power. The evil pony Prince Romero wishes to use its awesome power to destroy all games in the land.

Episode 2: The Daikatana is found and revealed to just be a really shiny spoon.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Levellass wrote: evil pony Prince Romero
I...okay.

I think I would be both happy and horrified if there was a keen reboot. I would be happy that keen would be well known but be horrified because it's probably gonna suck.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote: DooM 3 was a good game, but not as good as it could have been. (Still love a lot of things they did. Especially with monster design.) It should have kept its old fast paced run & gun formula, you know, the one that made DooM the DooM that people loved and still love to this day? The one they're trying to replicate with this new reboot?
No no no! :dead2
It's supposed to be about exploration and pushing buttons. The whole point of it was being a 2.5D game, and Doom 3 forgot about that.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote: DooM 3 was a good game, but not as good as it could have been. (Still love a lot of things they did. Especially with monster design.) It should have kept its old fast paced run & gun formula, you know, the one that made DooM the DooM that people loved and still love to this day? The one they're trying to replicate with this new reboot?
No no no! :dead2
It's supposed to be about exploration and pushing buttons. The whole point of it was being a 2.5D game, and Doom 3 forgot about that.
Well, yes that too, but all FPS have become so linear these days... it's all "Go here. Do this. No you can't go there. Shoot this guy. Shoot that guy. Exit the level." it's rare these days to have an FPS that allows you to explore and solve puzzles, all that.

One of the main reasons I also loved Half-Life.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

And don't forget, 'Look at this wonderful scenery! LOOK AT IT! What? You want to explore it? Hell no! It took us a week just to render this one limited perspective!'
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.