Commander Keen 4 remix/remake music pack

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
kvee
Vortininja
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:17
Contact:

Commander Keen 4 remix/remake music pack

Post by kvee » Sat Sep 26, 2015 15:49

Hi guys,
I've created a pack containing all of the music tracks from CK4 remade from the ground up. It's meant as a replacement of the original AdLib soundtrack, if you're, for example, writing a new game or need more modern sounding music for your engine.

Check it out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMoNL-NtFA

There are also alternative versions of two tracks: a minimalistic version of Too Hot (meant to be played in the cave / pyramid levels) and a version of Hillville to be used in the Crystalus level (the original doesn't really fit there IMO).

The wav files contain loop points to allow for seamless looping. If possible, use these, otherwise it's best to just cut the files to only contain the looping part.

Here's the download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3zdd0 ... Remixes.7z

The whole soundtrack is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Image

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy! If you use this for something, let me know, I'm curious :]

User avatar
MoffD
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1182
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:30
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Post by MoffD » Sat Sep 26, 2015 15:58

Hey Kvee, welcome to the forums! The remixes sound very interesting.

Btw, thanks for your IMF player.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Image

User avatar
kvee
Vortininja
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:17
Contact:

Post by kvee » Sat Sep 26, 2015 16:09

MoffD wrote:Hey Kvee, welcome to the forums! The remixes sound very interesting.
Thanks :]
MoffD wrote:Btw, thanks for your IMF player.
Hey, no problem :]
I actually used it myself after a long time while making these remixes.

User avatar
Roobar
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 2924
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 16:12

Post by Roobar » Sat Sep 26, 2015 18:38

Oh cool! My favorite ones are Shadows Don't Scare Commander Keen! and Oasis. In Shadows Don't Scare Commander Keen you may add additional bass background (not too loud) sound (something like duummmmmm dumm dummm dummmmmmmmm) when the drums starts.

With Too Hot (isles) you could made it even more epic by change it more, so it won't sound too much like the original. I've got what needs to be changed in my mind, but I don't know how to explain it.

I don't like the eerie version. I don't think it fits keeniverse.

Good work with You've Got To Eat Your Vegetables! Maybe the drums need to be changed a bit.

A World Of Wonderment also sounds really cool. It got some Greek vibes I think. Too bad it's too short. Maybe if you're willing to extend it?

Overall I think this is the best Keen 4 remixes to this date. Great job man!

Btw if you want, maybe you can compose for Keen Dreams in the other thread.

User avatar
kvee
Vortininja
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:17
Contact:

Post by kvee » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:17

wiivn wrote:Oh cool! My favorite ones are Shadows Don't Scare Commander Keen! and Oasis. In Shadows Don't Scare Commander Keen you may add additional bass background (not too loud) sound (something like duummmmmm dumm dummm dummmmmmmmm) when the drums starts.

With Too Hot (isles) you could made it even more epic by change it more, so it won't sound too much like the original. I've got what needs to be changed in my mind, but I don't know how to explain it.

I don't like the eerie version. I don't think it fits keeniverse.

Good work with You've Got To Eat Your Vegetables! Maybe the drums need to be changed a bit.

A World Of Wonderment also sounds really cool. It got some Greek vibes I think. Too bad it's too short. Maybe if you're willing to extend it?

Overall I think this is the best Keen 4 remixes to this date. Great job man!
Thanks! :]
Well, as far as I'm concerned, the remixes are done. However, if anyone wants to change or improve upon them, I can provide the separate audio tracks!
wiivn wrote:Btw if you want, maybe you can compose for Keen Dreams in the other thread.
Hmm, I'll look into that! I don't like Dreams that much, but that's at least in part because of the lack of music.

User avatar
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20

Post by Gridlock » Sun Sep 27, 2015 17:05

I really enjoyed these remixes! The instrumentation style is definitely more electric, but it fits nicely with the tone of the original songs. And it's neat to see some different interpretations of Too Hot. I've always felt more could be done with that song, and I was glad to see that here. The Hillville remix for Crystalus was also neat, though it felt a little out of place to me. I've imagined that to be something colder, slower, and maybe using more crystal/chime sounds.

Overall, great work! Keen music doesn't seem to get enough attention, and I hope people hear these. I hope you end up doing this for Keen 5 and 6 as well.
Image
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086

User avatar
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:36

Post by Paramultart » Sun Sep 27, 2015 17:19

Cool.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"

User avatar
kvee
Vortininja
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:17
Contact:

Post by kvee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 17:08

Gridlock wrote:I really enjoyed these remixes! The instrumentation style is definitely more electric, but it fits nicely with the tone of the original songs. And it's neat to see some different interpretations of Too Hot. I've always felt more could be done with that song, and I was glad to see that here. The Hillville remix for Crystalus was also neat, though it felt a little out of place to me. I've imagined that to be something colder, slower, and maybe using more crystal/chime sounds.

Overall, great work! Keen music doesn't seem to get enough attention, and I hope people hear these. I hope you end up doing this for Keen 5 and 6 as well.
Thanks! :]
As for the rest of Galaxy... man, I love the Keen 5 soundtrack. Great smooth jazzy stuff! But compared to CK4, it's huge. So I don't promise anything. Maybe we could team up on this, anyone interested?

Anyway, might as well post my earlier Make It Tighter remix here then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cXFse-rRA

GoldenRishi
Vortininja
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:20

Post by GoldenRishi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 17:27

kvee wrote:Hi guys,
I've created a pack containing all of the music tracks from CK4 remade from the ground up. It's meant as a replacement of the original AdLib soundtrack, if you're, for example, writing a new game or need more modern sounding music for your engine.

Check it out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMoNL-NtFA
These are really wonderful. Are you intending to do similar work for Keen 6? I like Keen 5's music as well, but Keen 4 and 6 are my favorites.
kvee wrote: Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy! If you use this for something, let me know, I'm curious :]
Yes, if I do make a fan game, there's a very high probability that I'll be using these! If I did though, I'd contact you first.
kvee wrote: Hmm, I'll look into that! I don't like Dreams that much, but that's at least in part because of the lack of music.
Technically, you've already composed Keen Dreams. You've Got to Eat Your Vegetables was originally composed by Bobby Prince to be the music to Keen Dreams. However, when Keen Dreams music (I don't know if there was other music, it isn't clear, I think it was just the one song) couldn't fit on the specific floppy that Gamer's Edge wanted (Remember that Keen Dreams was written for them to finish off Id's contractual obligations), the music was nixed and then re-purposed for Keen 4.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)

User avatar
kvee
Vortininja
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:17
Contact:

Post by kvee » Tue Oct 13, 2015 18:26

GoldenRishi wrote:These are really wonderful. Are you intending to do similar work for Keen 6? I like Keen 5's music as well, but Keen 4 and 6 are my favorites.
Thanks :]
As for Keen 5&6:
kvee wrote:...But compared to CK4, it's huge. So I don't promise anything. Maybe we could team up on this, anyone interested?
GoldenRishi wrote:Yes, if I do make a fan game, there's a very high probability that I'll be using these! If I did though, I'd contact you first.
1. They are released under CC, so you don't need to.
2. But it's nice of you to ask. So I give you... idk, a super permission to use them for whatever you like! :]
GoldenRishi wrote:Technically, you've already composed Keen Dreams. You've Got to Eat Your Vegetables was originally composed by Bobby Prince to be the music to Keen Dreams. However, when Keen Dreams music (I don't know if there was other music, it isn't clear, I think it was just the one song) couldn't fit on the specific floppy that Gamer's Edge wanted (Remember that Keen Dreams was written for them to finish off Id's contractual obligations), the music was nixed and then re-purposed for Keen 4.
Yup, I've seen the video of Bobby explaining that. Can't not sing the words in my head when playing Keen 4 now! :]

User avatar
XrackProject
Vortininja
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 19:10
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Commander Keen 4 remix/remake music pack

Post by XrackProject » Thu Nov 03, 2016 20:50

Hey Buddy, thank you so much for this kinda retro wave soundtracks. I really enjoyed any second of these 18 minutes! :D

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1157
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 14:44
Location: Frankfurt - Germany
Contact:

Post by gerstrong » Sat Nov 19, 2016 14:39

Great remixes. Too bad I'm seeing this right now. We could have used some these remixes for CG and Keen 4 VGA HQ.

I still though I think soem tunes are better than what CG has in the HQP...
Having fun developing stuff...

User avatar
neek
Vortininja
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 18:47

Post by neek » Fri Dec 02, 2016 18:01

That was so cool! Spot on revamping, it made my day. :p

User avatar
Tormentor667
Vortininja
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 14:08
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Tormentor667 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:32

Awesome work :) And now Keen 5 and Keen 6 please :)

User avatar
kvee
Vortininja
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:17
Contact:

Re: Commander Keen 4 remix/remake music pack

Post by kvee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:36

Hey, glad you've all enjoyed this :)

Post Reply