DamN

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

DamN

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

On the TIGsoruce forums, I'm making a "bootleg demake" of DooM, which just means a technologically inferior parody that almost breaks copyright law. Naturally, it'll have a cameo of someone who bears similar resemblance to Keen... hanging from a noose, probably.

It's "DamN"! The story of a space marine who discovers that he has no working guns when the legions of Hell attack, so he has to solve the situation using his brainpower. OH NO! You'd better give him all the help he can get! :dopefish

While the sprites may look DooM-y, the gameplay is basically Paganitzu.
Check out the latest SWF here! (rightclick)

Or follow the thread and check out the title art, hither!
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2580.0

I'll be back with more updates, including WID! <--lol
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Interesting concept. Looks like fun.

Is there some other control apart from the arrow keys that I've missed? I can't see any way of solving that level simply by moving around and pushing things...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Alright, I've collected all the silver coins, I've cleared my way to the exit, but I can't think of a way to get the silver coin that is in front of the imp without killing mе.

Plus, I found a bug. Try to blow a barrel in the lava at the bottom (where there are two silver coins) and you'll blow the silver blocks. You'll open a hole outside of the field and if you move out, you'll disappear. Or maybe thats just part of the evil "restart" plan.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Iv4n: See the big diagonal of green barrels? Hint: The only one in that original line you want to move/use is the upper right one.

:) Cool level, TMST. Took me a while to figure out!
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Well done, Xky. :)

I haven't done anything about "border-breaching" yet, Ivan. I will, though. It's an "off-the-map" error thing that makes you disappear.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Interesting. I can't figure out how to get anywhere in the test level, though.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It's a funny idea, but I can't pass the level either! Are there some controls or moves other than those keys? :confused
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Head to the right from the start, to use the teleporter. :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ok, I got that figured out, but can't get any further from there!
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That's nice. Now after the big explosion I don't have enough barrels to clear the exit :dead
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Coins actually block enemy attacks.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

But how the garg you people get around pushing those barrels?! :garg I can only push one toxic barrel downwards and one to right, and those three non-toxic barrels one step right each, and that's all! And are there more controls than arrows, why can't anyone answer? :(
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Ah, I've figured out a bit more - it's just using the arrows. If you push any kind of barrel onto the slime it removes the slime, and if you push a slime barrel onto the dirt square there's an explosion, which you have to quickly run away from (which is odd because if you cross the path of one of those demons you can't move until you die.) The explosions take out those demons. If you push a normal barrel onto the dirt it disappears.

Once you've gone through the teleporter and run up to those three barrels (with a coin, shirt, coin next to them - the ones in KR's post) you can creatively move those barrels to get past. (If you push the top one and the bottom one, that gives you enough room to push the middle one *down* instead...)
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

KeenRush: Check out 2:20 in this video, or more clearly 1:20 in this video. :)

The Adventures of Lolo is a great series, with annoyingly cute music.

Also, Malv, in true DooM fashion, I think what you're referring to as "dirt" is actually Lava. :D
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Haha yes, lava, of course. Explosive dirt seems so silly now :-)

And hooray, I figured it out and passed the "level leetness" test as well :-D That was a really tricky level though - it took me a while to figure out how to get that one extra barrel you need to clear the exit! A bit frantic too running away from that really big explosion...!