Keen goes Pi: Play Commander Keen mods on a Gameboy

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

The Raspberry Pi

never heard of
9%
I prefer strawberry cakes
18%
need get one myself
27%
I grew up with a i386, of course I own a Pi
18%
#! python
9%
soldering is way to nerve-wracking
18%

Total votes: 22

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen goes Pi

Post by Nisaba » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54

Yep, there are tones of solutions out there for semi handheld devices. but I do love the fact that you can case mod an origin console from back in the day and tweak things to the limit.

What the fucl? 45% import fee. And I've always thought Denmark was member of the European Union?! What's wrong with you guys It would be even cheaper to get on a plain and pick up the package at Kites door...

About the soldering: YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING WRONG! at least you cannot break or brick the circuit board itself. the board comes with JST-connection-wires which only need to be soldered to some extra buttons/a 3€ speaker. on the other side you simply plug it in. it's easy as that. skill level: rookie, I'd say.
If you wanna know how to solder eitherway the forums feature a beautiful step-by-step beginners guide called: Soldering School - AKA Don't wreck your new AIO board!

images by Kite

About the glue: it's only the screen bracket plus the on/off switch you'll have to glue in place. for everything else you'll use screws like you would assemble a regular un-modded case.
concerning the 3D prints: normally every town should have some kind of a "hacker-space" with 3D-Printing devices. but I could be wrong about that.

ps.:
Pre-orders close: 27/02/2018
"We have come to conquer you all and bring you lots of candy!" | about me | my current project: play Keen mods on a GameBoy |

troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:04

Getting to work now. Bips and bobs delivered in the mail. Case modifications coming along. Stay on target. Attempting to drill holes for X & Y buttons. Decided I do want L & R buttons. Must make holes for the status LEDs. Not sure how to proceed beyond this point. Must buy glue, tape and soldering tools.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Post by Nisaba » Sat Feb 24, 2018 21:43

The motherboard is a real beauty, isn't she?!

about the case mod: I'd recommend to not drill the x&y holes unless you have the screen bracket printed/bought. This is because you need to make sure to line things up. (Of course you can come up with your very own design ideas, but things are so much easier when using some given templates. At least when doing such things for the first time.)

You can use whatever tools you want, but here is my little recommendation list:
  • use a step drill for the x & y holes (~3$)
  • when done things should look something like this:
After that point you are done with the hardest part and you can start assembling all pieces and bits. The wiki is always a good place to consult when having issues while assembling. https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sword/wiki

Next chapter:
software tweaks... but one step at the time (I've designed a neat interface theme I could share if you wish... And please don't hesitate to ask anything anytime.
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51, edited 1 time in total.
"We have come to conquer you all and bring you lots of candy!" | about me | my current project: play Keen mods on a GameBoy |

troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50

Thanks, Nisaba! I shall be flinging questions your way as I progress further.

My main trouble now is getting hold of the proper battery. :shockshund

Was this Kite package supposed to come with a fan? Or was that an optional add-on?

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Post by Nisaba » Sun Feb 25, 2018 22:38

Yeah, green buttons on a black build. I added black ones this time around but I think I'm gonna exchange them for bordeaux coloured buttons...

You could use nearly any smartphone battery as long as you can manage to fit it inside the case. Anyhow, I'd go with this battery over here which is the perfect solution for this project in terms of size and power: https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 320#p24389 you might want to check the shipping conditions though...

The fan is optional and so is the volume wheel. I have added a fan but in my experience it's not really needed unless you are about to play a whole lot of PlayStation/Dreamcast games. The volume wheel on the other hand is a neat extra as it gives the GameBoy a more classic kind of look and feel. You can still purchase one of these until February the 27th. But remember that it's either the HDMI out or the volume wheel. Link: https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5212

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen goes Pi: Play Commander Keen mods on a Gameboy

Post by Nisaba » Fri Mar 16, 2018 14:29

I updated the first post with fresh information and a little how to guide. check it!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3673&p=80741#p80741

troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 18:15

Thanks! I'll give it a read. This helped a lot in terms of putting it all together:
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5268

I think I totally botched the back board, whatever it's called. The board with L1, L2, GND, R1, R2, GND. The power switch does fit nor does it respond properly. The gluing process didn't go so well either. The case doesn't fit together properly. But the first boot was a success! And my battery provides power, which means I soldered the wires correctly and got the voltage (minus/positive) right! I want to try some synthesizer DIY stuff, so maybe it's not a total loss, having all these new tools around.

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Post by Nisaba » Fri Mar 16, 2018 20:52

yeah, that's a pretty decent picture based tutorial. seeing is believing...

IIRC there is an issue with the responses of the power switch, but that is due to the different production lines of those after market cases. when you close the case the switch feels a bit wobbly, right? what you wanna do is hot-glue it to the actual switch pin. this gives you the needed millimeter to power things on and off smoothly. just make sure to stick it to the inner right corner (when looking at it from the front case). and I'd recommend using hot glue since you can heat it up later on, if things got messed up.

what's with the backboard L1-R2? does it fit in place?
what about the rest. you spoke about tight-fitting things in order to close the case. but "normally" you should have enough room for every bits and pieces. if you post some pics I can guide you along the process. I did a lot of mistakes in my previous builds and feel real confident by now. so I might know some dirty tricks to fix things...

don't give up just yet. I can promises you, it feels real good when finally everything comes together. and building such thing gets quite addicting after some time. also my soldering skill level evolved rapidly, which is a nice side effect.

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Post by Nisaba » Fri Mar 30, 2018 22:07

the first post of this thread is now up to date. thanks to Fleex you can now download all pre-configured files, transfer them, and start playing your favourite Commander Keen mods on a GameBoy!

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Post by Nisaba » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38

good news everybody:
The Circuit Sword and Circuit Sword Lite are now available to pre-order!
(pre-order is open till 01/07/2018)

for further information just follow this link: https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6145