Keen goes Pi: Play Commander Keen mods on a Gameboy

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

The Raspberry Pi

never heard of
10%
I prefer strawberry cakes
14%
need get one myself
24%
I grew up with a i386, of course I own a Pi
28%
#! python
7%
soldering is way to nerve-wracking
17%

Total votes: 29

DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen goes Pi: Play Commander Keen mods on a Gameboy

Post by DoomJedi »

yeah, I know. this needs to be done some day. ATM my mod "Foray in the Forest" has top priority. but afterwards I'm gonna continue working on this idea.
The mod looks fantastic! I love the mix of Keen 4 and new art and backgrounds, new places on the old planet sort of thing.
Your BomberKeen character skins are awesome! love 'em! maybe we can somehow merge both ideas into a new, yet unknown game....
It was my old project with Dr Kylstein, but he couldn't go on with it (the DOS version), so it got stalled. Since then I made some Game-Maker-based reskins, but it didn't go anywhere.
my vision is to have a Keen related game which won't feature our beloved hero
I understand the idea and it's original...still have issues with Keen game without Keen. Maybe at least "Evil Keen" recolor (beside Mortimer) so we can still have Keen skin there?
The rest of the idea is great.
well, it would be awesome if each character comes with a special attack or a secret weapon or something. but I haven't figured that out yet...
Love brainstorming :)
Don't enemies have...there attack anyway, in Keen games? Not all are "touch enemies" only, some have melee and projectile attacks, even electroshock abilities. And there could be environmental dangers and special enemy powers over them...like some enemy that can go in water or lava or other places that others can't - and so have to choose alt paths?
but I'm surly interested in your BomberKeen project as well. do you think of it as a classic Bomberman clone?
Well, originally - yes. Over different planets and themes (many of them made, though I need to edit some to add perspective).
But with time - I thought to make it more...keeny. To have Keen-related powerups, environmental hazards (maybe poison slugs to put "longer stay" poison pools (they themselves can go through) instead of bombs, etc...treasure eater to steal powerups and bombs, blue bird to fly over some tiles, flect - reflect bombs ....etc etc....so much potential).

Notice SMW and Bomberman use different perspectives on sprites, so mixing both types on the same level doesn't seem proper.
Those can be either different battle modes, or to complete each other - BomberKeen will happen on the face of planets (aka World Map) - top down view, and then enemies can enter actual levels to have SMW-type fights (...and even possible Load Runner type fights, there is cool 4 player Load Runner battle game on one of the old consoles I have on retropie (PC Engine(?)). This will make this StarWars epic scale of battles all over planets. We can create whole battle system and maybe later port it even to retropie (like we did with SplitWolf which is now in optional packages). There are other cool battle concepts I recently discovered, like the "floor hammering" one.

...working on Treasure Eater skin
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Emulation Station can be installed on RG350:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuuJ94pVL_I
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

So, what Keen mods do you recommend me to put on my handheld?
I like TCs with many art changes - art of descent quality.
Already have Atroxian, Shenanigans and other recent big TCs (along Keen 8, 9, 10 ceilick trilogy obviously)

Can you list some...earlier good mods? Not map packs, TCs with nice art and good levels.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

DoomJedi wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:19 Emulation Station can be installed on RG350:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuuJ94pVL_I
RetroGameHandhelds seem to be a very vibrant community. If I'm not mistaken you've been mentioned at the end of this video as well, right?!
I'm really thinking about buying one of these. the RG350 sparks my interest.
out now (link) : Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

DoomJedi wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 So, what Keen mods do you recommend me to put on my handheld?
Already have Atroxian, Shenanigans and other recent big TCs (along Keen 8, 9, 10 ceilick trilogy obviously)

Can you list some...earlier good mods? Not map packs, TCs with nice art and good levels.
TC? I'm not familiar with this term. sry.
For a start I'd recommend mods made by DrColossus like The Terror from Outer Space, Marooned on Mars - a Galaxy mod, or Galaxy Defender.
(Great level designs, awesome graphics, neat ideas and much more)
Mink's Puzzle Pack is also very interesting but I don't know if you are into changed gameplay mods...

I have pre-configured patches for these and other mods. The purpose of these patches is to make the mods fit my button layout of my handheld. If you are interested I'd be happy to share these patch files with you. (the links in my initial post of this thread are a bit outdated. hope to update everything by the end of this weekend)
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:22
DoomJedi wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 So, what Keen mods do you recommend me to put on my handheld?

TC? I'm not familiar with this term. sry.
TC = Total Convertion ^.¨
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:11 RetroGameHandhelds seem to be a very vibrant community.
Yes it is. They have HUGE discord about all types of handhelds that the world knows and/or cares about - with daily releases of updates, patches, games, new opk-s and such.
If I'm not mistaken you've been mentioned at the end of this video as well, right?!
Yes, he did a shoutout to me (missed it when I watched the video, but he mentioned it to me later in PM). Very nice of him.
Nice guy. I have been in touch with him in recent days, also I worked 2 days to get image scraping to work on Emulation Station, which his next video will probably be about.
There are some issues with Emulation Station though. Loading times, number of roms it can apparently "handle" without crashing.
But ES works, yes, even with scraping/boxart. Have it working on my RG350. But didn't make it default yet.
I'm really thinking about buying one of these. the RG350 sparks my interest.
VERY good device. So many emulators and games for it, great analogs, good DOS and PS1 emulation...
Such big community and support, daily updates, opk etc. Alot of development about it.

But you need to consider the1.5GHz GKD350H which should have world release in a few days (no R2/L2 though, so many will pass it for now)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzB_JtsNonY&t=0s
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Thanks for mod tips, waiting for more :)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

And I'm sure you remember Keen Meets the Meats, right?! the censored edition is nuts! Image
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Thanks for the tips :)
Nisaba wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 17:36 And I'm sure you remember
Yeah, good mod, but the spriter sucks :crazy