Keen goes Pi: Play Commander Keen mods on a Gameboy

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

The Raspberry Pi

never heard of
10%
I prefer strawberry cakes
14%
need get one myself
24%
I grew up with a i386, of course I own a Pi
28%
#! python
7%
soldering is way to nerve-wracking
17%

Total votes: 29

Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen goes Pi

Post by Lava89 »

That is SO cool! It reminds me of my idea to use a Pi to make some kind of PC-based game console, based off of the Gravis Gamepad (basically if Gravis had made their own game system).

But with that I'd have more room to work with-- I could hide a powersupply and USB adapters within the case. Whereas it sounds like yours will be much more minimal. How do you plan to make it fit on the wrist without needing to be plugged in?

I also know that ThinkGeek made a PipBoy with a working screen (not like the launch ones that was basically a case for a smart phone), so it might be worth looking into, to see how they made theirs wireless, if you haven't thought about how to do that already.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Writing this on my pi, hehe...

Like I said, I have that battery and it's my main pi powersource, I'm just going to stick it in my pocket or strap it on the bottom of my arm and use it for power. There's really not enough spare room for anything else (even putting a small fan in with the buttons is going to be tricky) I was initially thinking about using disposable batteries in the case, but all the extra overhead of power regulation and not having any decent usage out of it made me decide on the usb charging pack
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

it's been a while... working on this on and off.
along the way I've learned a whole lot about electronics, circuit boards, arduino code, python, front end design ans so much more. the main issue I came across the past couple of weeks was to get Keen Mods running stutter free. As long as I don't activate the music, everything runs more less ... fluent. and yes I know there is rpix86. but as far as I know, only DOSBox has a key mapping support. I not only need this feature to map the right buttons but also to fire up some good old cheat codes, which I've already patched for couple of mods.
Unfortunately the Zero doesn't provide enough power for a real neat Keen experience. (at least I haven't managed to find the CPU cycle sweet spot yet.) that's why I have to pimp things up. next stop: CM3 (COMPUTE MODULE 3). this is going to be awesome.

until then I'd like to share some WIP pictures with you. a Keen in action video might follow soon.

Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:50, edited 2 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Looks cool! I wish I understood this kind of stuff and also that I had a console like that. I'd make a simpler version of akeen or a new editor altogether. Would be so neat to make levels while waiting for a bus or sitting in one.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Pure awesomeness! That super aio kit looks really handy too
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

KeenRush wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 Looks cool! I wish I understood this kind of stuff and also that I had a console like that. I'd make a simpler version of akeen or a new editor altogether. Would be so neat to make levels while waiting for a bus or sitting in one.
there is a beautiful DIY forum for handheld consoles like this with a lot of creative heads. it's called sudomod.com. meanwhile not only geeks can build fancy stuff like that, but there are also user friendly solutions in the making, like this astonishing nearly all-in-one solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEs5THE-7dM
and if you hurry up (deadline: 03/11/2017) you can pre-order now and call one of these your own.
MoffD wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 15:48 Pure awesomeness! That super aio kit looks really handy too
here is a sneak peak. please note that the colours of the screen are actually really amazing, shiny, bright and crisp. it's due to the low quality of my camera that things seem a bit flat. have to take some better shots someday:
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:50, edited 1 time in total.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Wait, what? There's a way to play Keen handheld? That's my dream! I need this! Help!

Don't anybody here mention Keen GBC unless you want to live the rest of your life as a rug.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'm actually more interested in that in-mod screenshot! It's awesome.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah. The background seems to be from the abandoned XkyKeen4 mod (I still lament that it didn't get far) but I don't know the rest.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

look what arrived in the mail today:

I'm super excited about this new batch. it features a Pi CM3 with a lot of power. gotta test things out immediately...
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51, edited 1 time in total.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Nisaba wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 16:27 look what arrived in the mail today:

I'm super excited about this new batch. it features a Pi CM3 with a lot of power. gotta test things out immediately...
Where do you purchase these things from?, i have no idea where to start outside of the Gameboy "Classic" case... <.<;
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Zilem wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21Where do you purchase these things from?, i have no idea where to start outside of the Gameboy "Classic" case... <.<;
The Circuit Sword is a circuit board that contains everything required to run a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3. It is a single board computer capable of running any software designed for the Raspberry Pi. It includes special components designed for portability, power management, button input, LCD and audio output. The Circuit Sword is the perfect Raspberry Pi computer for retro gaming fans.

• Additional parts required:
    Case / Conductive button pads / Additional buttons for X & Y / Shoulder buttons / ~3000mAh battery / USB C charging cable / Micro SD card / Screen surround
    You can find most things on eBay or Aliexpress. The battery can also be purchased via one forum member called Dextech. For the screen-surround check retrofresh.uk, Kitsch-bent.com or deadpanrobot.co.uk.
  • Optional parts:
    You might also wanna 3D print a screen bracket. This makes assembling things a lot easier, but it's optional. If needed I could share the required STL files.
    The Keen games require some patching to make things work with only a limited amount of buttons. I've already wrote these patches for most Galaxy Games, Vorticons are still in the making. When done, I'll share a link.
What's next? well, here you can find a step-by-step guide that will lead you through the whole process: github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sword/wiki or you simply ask me!

ps.:
this time around it will be so much easier to assemble things. there is nearly no soldering required. you only have to solder the speaker and optional L & R buttons, but that's about it. it's really simple and pretty straight forward. (not like the mess you've seen in my previous images)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

I'm afraid mine is stuck down south in the big city being delivered to the wrong person. :o :'(
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

troublesomekeen wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:42 Wait, what? There's a way to play Keen handheld? That's my dream! I need this! Help!

Don't anybody here mention Keen GBC unless you want to live the rest of your life as a rug.
You do know that is already a thing, Right?:
on the Left: Nvidia Shield "Portable"
on the Right: Nvidia Shield (LTE) Tablet with Shield Controller v2.0
Nisaba wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 15:47 The Circuit Sword is a circuit board that contains everything required to run a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3. It is a single board computer capable of running any software designed for the Raspberry Pi. It includes special components designed for portability, power management, button input, LCD and audio output. The Circuit Sword is the perfect Raspberry Pi computer for retro gaming fans.

• Additional parts required:
    Case / Conductive button pads / Additional buttons for X & Y / Shoulder buttons / ~3000mAh battery / USB C charging cable / Micro SD card / Screen surround
    You can find most things on eBay or Aliexpress. The battery can also be purchased via one forum member called Dextech. For the screen-surround check retrofresh.uk, Kitsch-bent.com or deadpanrobot.co.uk.
  • Optional parts:
    You might also wanna 3D print a screen bracket. This makes assembling things a lot easier, but it's optional. If needed I could share the required STL files.
    The Keen games require some patching to make things work with only a limited amount of buttons. I've already wrote these patches for most Galaxy Games, Vorticons are still in the making. When done, I'll share a link.
What's next? well, here you can find a step-by-step guide that will lead you through the whole process: github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sword/wiki or you simply ask me!

ps.:
this time around it will be so much easier to assemble things. there is nearly no soldering required. you only have to solder the speaker and optional L & R buttons, but that's about it. it's really simple and pretty straight forward. (not like the mess you've seen in my previous images)
The price is a bit, wait that's Pounds not Dollars!, that does make the cost more reasonable, as a Dane
(due to a ridicules import fee of +45%, it's really the toll fee that i don't like paying too much for)

Don't know much of Soldering I've never done it, but it seems similar enough to welding which i have experience with
But i probably should do a system before using something with a single-piece board with a price range of the Kite: Circuit-Sword
so it doesn't suffer Rookie mistakes.

But i have found the Hardware modding fascinating with the cable bypassing
like the Hacking of the Sega Saturn
the first item he shows here, deserves a transparent case, as it's a work of art

I Personally prefer to have small screws to hold boards in place, instead of hot gluing them in place
it's fine for the I/O parts
(Might have a thing to do with how many PC/Laptops i have assembled and replaced broken hardware in)

I don't have access to a 3D-Printer, but my brother might have some contacts that does.

But it is diffidently something that looks interesting, might be able to get my brother on board for the project
as he have worked with the rasbarry pi before, and have worked with an interesting project for a professor
i probably should not talk to much about it... but I'll say it included a jacket, sensors and a control board
(No it's not the Cloaking jacket from Ghost in the Shell)
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Zilem wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 You do know that is already a thing, Right?:
Nvidia Shield "Portable"
Nvidia Shield (LTE) Tablet with Shield Controller v2.0
Yes indeed! I bought one for my brother years ago. I forget by now, but I think I convinced myself back then that it was impossible to run DosBox on the Shield. :dopekeen