Our next community level pack... [Deadline 23rd September!]

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

I'd love to make some levels...

If I knew wth tiles I was placing. xD

When I open in Keenedit, it displays everything as the original keen 1 tiles.
Do we really have to LEARN which tiles replace what and envision the level while we make it??
Because that would be really lame, aesthetics is almost a subconscious thing for me in Keen level design, it'd suck to not be able to view my level while editing it. Would involve a lot of trial and error too.

Also, the current levels that you can enter from the map are bugged with half solid blocks half unsolid blocks o something. They look cool at first until you fall through the floor after 2 steps. Also the world map just seems to have random solid/unsolid, completely independant of the actual tiles.

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Of course you have to see what you're doing. :) You have to import the mod's tileset for your level editor to use. And are you running the associated bat file? You need to run mods' bat file in order to run them right. Not by starting the normal Keen exe.

In order to get Lego Keen tiles to your level editor (KeenEdit), do the following:
1. Extract Lego Keen somewhere.
2. Throw KeenEdit there.
3. Throw Tileinfo there.
4. Throw ModKeen there.
5. In Modkeen export the Lego Keen stuff. Can't remember the exact command but the program shows what to do if you run it without arguments.
6. In Tileinfo import the tile (1TIL0000.BMP), and then export it to KeenEdit data.
7. Now you have the tiles of Keen 1 replaced with Lego Keen's, in your KeenEdit.

Glad to hear you are interested in making levels to this (but only one entry per person, just to remind), there's still time for this one, likely I have to postpone the deadline once again...

Edit: You can get the "top 3" modding utilities here: http://www.bipship.com/other+people's+utilities
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hehe, except that you can't - the TileInfo and CKPatch pages are completely blank. I completely forgot about those pages, I wondering how many other holes there are in my site?

Anyway, here are links to download those three utilities: ModKeen / TileInfo / CKPatch

Good luck with the level! I really should get mine finished up as well.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Is the deadline still going to be on th 23rd? Because somehow the deadline has snuck up on me again, and I haven't gotten anything done on this in the past month.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nope, I still gotta get my files back. :dead :crazy
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Does the thing with your restored graphics program over at keenmodding mean you got these files back as well?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nope, I found a very old cd.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

The 23 february deadline is past. What now? Does "you didn't get your files back" mean, we should all send you our levels again?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

No, it means the files, including my own level which I want to have in this pack as I spent a lot time on it and think it turned out good, are on my old harddrive still. And it costs me to get them out of there, because I need to buy a portable harddrive, and go to a computer store and make them transfer the files. And I'm broke. The deadline has to be extended. I've received only one new level (thanks shikadi!), so there's still chance you guys can make some...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

How's your files rescue project going, KeenRush?
The deadline's here again.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Not going well, I have even less money than I expected to have, due some taxes. Sorry about this damned deadline, everyone. I have to extend it again. Maybe we should do another level pack meanwhile? :dopekeen
grafix
Chilling in Crystalus

Post by grafix »

Maybe we should start a KeenRush bailout fund... I'd donate $20 :)
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

I've been thinking about a name for this Level Pack.

"Commander Keen Forever". How about that?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Something never heard before... I think the name should have something lego in it, after all its a legopack.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I didn't even think of naming it anything special since it's just a collection levels without anything connecting them but the tileset.