Vinny Vorticowsky

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
ComissionerDeWitt
Vortininja
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:33

Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by ComissionerDeWitt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:53

Is this Forum still alive? o-o Well anyways....I'm just gonna place my character's bio here anyway :p


We've all seen the many adventures of Billy Blaze, aka Commander Keen, but have you ever thought about the possibility of another child super-genius in the universe? Well, there is another....and this is his story.

Vinn von Vorticowsky, or just Vinny Vorticos, is an 8-year old Vorticon with an amazing IQ of 314! (The same as Billy's :p ). Whenever he's at home, he's just plain old straight-A student Vinny, but when his father Vance and mother Valerie are out, and his babysitter uncle Vergil is out cold (as usual....), Vinny heads out into his freshly cut and purple backyard and transforms into......COMMISSIONER DEWITT! Defender of Vorticon VI! But he usually only ever turns into his heroic alter ego when Commander Keen is too busy or out of commission. He and Billy have never met in person, but Vinny hopes to someday....


Update: Vinny's nemesis.....

Does updating the main post count as double-posting in a weird way? o-o If it does, just lemme know and I'll post this in a separate thread instead of editting this one.....


Vortimer Blighterson is a mysterious Vortikid supergenius with an IQ that just so happens to be 315 (the same as Mort's :mortlol ). Not much is known about him, except for he's 8 years old and holds some hatred for the universe like Mortimer does. He's been Vinny's nemesis for a long time now.....


Now I know you might think I just replaced the M in Mortimer with a V, but its an actual name!

https://www.babble.com/baby-names/boy-n ... rt-with-v/ <--- You can see here :p So I thought, well why not? :p
Last edited by ComissionerDeWitt on Fri May 05, 2017 3:19, edited 1 time in total.
Meet Vinny Vorticos! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4054

User avatar
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:01
Location: Three-Tooth Lake
Contact:

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by troublesomekeen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 23:32

Very good! Welcome to the forums!
This forum is not only alive and well, but also reborn into a brand-new bouncing offspring.

I take it that the events of Keen 1, 2, and 3 took place before Vinny found his feet?
I really, really like this idea... an extremely bright vortikid in vortischool that makes all sorts of trouble for vortimom.

Hey, hey! Are you acquainted with the fan-made mod games that have been produced over the decades? uTUIT and all that?
Image
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!

ComissionerDeWitt
Vortininja
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:33

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by ComissionerDeWitt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 23:44

troublesomekeen wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 23:32
Very good! Welcome to the forums!
This forum is not only alive and well, but also reborn into a brand-new bouncing offspring.

I take it that the events of Keen 1, 2, and 3 took place before Vinny found his feet?
I really, really like this idea... an extremely bright vortikid in vortischool that makes all sorts of trouble for vortimom.

Hey, hey! Are you acquainted with the fan-made mod games that have been produced over the decades? uTUIT and all that?
Thank you! :D Thats good....glad to hear the Keeniverse is still going strong :)

Kinda....I didn't really take that into consideration the first time I wrote this....I think that Vinny WAS in the Vorticons trilogy somewhere, but he pretended to be under the influence of the mindbelts in order to not draw any suspicion. He attended the Big V award ceremony for Keen, he was in the crowd with his parents. He really wanted to go up and meet Keen himself, but he didn't want to risk revealing his intellect to the populace, so he had to watch Keen go....Also I'm glad you like the idea :p

Yup! Definitely! I have all the Universe is Toast games and the first 6 Keen games too! (PLUS Keen Dreams ;3). I also have NetKeen too :D I have virtually no experience with modding though....I'm more of a player than a modder :dead2
Meet Vinny Vorticos! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4054

User avatar
KeenRush
Android Dummy
Posts: 2540
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 20:57
Location: KEEN1.EXE
Contact:

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by KeenRush » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:52

Welcome, and that's a nice story/character. A mod would be nice if you're ever attempting that (yes, I read that you said you're more of a player than a modder but many of us started from that same point).
My newest mod - Planet Of Agony: https://pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4165 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.

ComissionerDeWitt
Vortininja
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:33

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by ComissionerDeWitt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 18:04

KeenRush wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:52
Welcome, and that's a nice story/character. A mod would be nice if you're ever attempting that (yes, I read that you said you're more of a player than a modder but many of us started from that same point).
I've been wondering what it would be like to make a mod...And judging from reading about the others' experience with modding it sounds kinda difficult :dead2 For starters I don't know how to sprite, and I'm not sure how I'd make Vinny's sprite without taking Lt. Barker's sprite and giving it different clothes :crazy Also, I think you'd have to be a little creative in order to design a level.....and I'm not sure if I'm creative enough for that :dead And finally, I'm not sure if the first Vinny game should be a Vorticons mod or a Galaxy mod :/

I guess I could just ask others for help tho :)
Meet Vinny Vorticos! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4054

User avatar
Nisaba
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 23:34
Location: The Outpost
Contact:

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by Nisaba » Thu Apr 27, 2017 18:38

Hi and welcome!

concerning your modding attempt: well... start small!
just begin with the Lt. Barker's sprite and simply give it different clothes. a skin mod is something most of us might have started with. tweak and tinker around a bit and get used to the modding routines. there is a beautiful how-to-mod tutorial for a Galaxy Mod: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Ga ... y_Ceilick)
and one for Vorticons: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Vo ... _Xky_Rauh).
as the Vorticons Games are only 2D you might want to start with a mod of this series. Galaxy mods are more complex and confusing...

of course questions will come along the way. just feel free to ask whatever you need to know. people around here are very helpful and will share their knowledge with you. additionally you could go to our vibrant community dedicated to modding the Commander Keen games over here: https://keenmodding.org/

you just need to try things out. so, happy modding!
"We have come to conquer you all and bring you lots of candy!" | about me | my current project: play Keen mods on a GameBoy |

ComissionerDeWitt
Vortininja
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:33

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by ComissionerDeWitt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 18:46

Nisaba wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 18:38
Hi and welcome!

concerning your modding attempt: well... start small!
just begin with the Lt. Barker's sprite and simply give it different clothes. a skin mod is something most of us might have started with. tweak and tinker around a bit and get used to the modding routines. there is a beautiful how-to-mod tutorial for a Galaxy Mod: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Ga ... y_Ceilick)
and one for Vorticons: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Vo ... _Xky_Rauh).
as the Vorticons Games are only 2D you might want to start with a mod of this series. Galaxy mods are more complex and confusing...

of course questions will come along the way. just feel free to ask whatever you need to know. people around here are very helpful and will share their knowledge with you. additionally you could go to our vibrant community dedicated to modding the Commander Keen games over here: https://keenmodding.org/

you just need to try things out. so, happy modding!
Thank you so much :D

I'm assuming I can get the Barker sprite from NetKeen?
Meet Vinny Vorticos! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4054

User avatar
MoffD
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:30
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by MoffD » Thu Apr 27, 2017 22:13

Welcome welcome! Is this forum active? Ermm, in a word: yes

We've had periods of few posts usually lasting at most a week I'd say (someone might know of some longer breaks) But considering how long this forum has been running, it's still going extremely strong. We get a new rush of mods every March 14 (Keen Day, as well as pi) too
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Image

User avatar
proYorp
Vortininja
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56
Location: mspaint.exe

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by proYorp » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08

Hello there! I'm quite new to the forums myself, but definitely not to Keen. As MoffD said, the place can be slow sometimes, though this week has been just about the busiest I've ever seen it.

I like your vortikid character. Sounds like really good fanfiction material. I don't think there's been many of those lately.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." :yorp

ComissionerDeWitt
Vortininja
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:33

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by ComissionerDeWitt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 16:11

proYorp wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08
Hello there! I'm quite new to the forums myself, but definitely not to Keen. As MoffD said, the place can be slow sometimes, though this week has been just about the busiest I've ever seen it.

I like your vortikid character. Sounds like really good fanfiction material. I don't think there's been many of those lately.
I've actually been thinking about making a few fanfictions for him, mostly just funny little goofy short stories based on what happens at home :p
Meet Vinny Vorticos! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4054

User avatar
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 19:11
Location: FARM COUNTRY!
Contact:

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by nanomekia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 20:16

Do eet. We can always use more creativity. :D
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites on alternate Tuesdays.

"I believe this is some fine languaging with the words."

ComissionerDeWitt
Vortininja
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:33

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by ComissionerDeWitt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 20:46

nanomekia wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 20:16
Do eet. We can always use more creativity. :D

I'll do it :D

And who knows....maybe Vinny will get the same level of popularity as Martinez someday....:p
Meet Vinny Vorticos! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4054

User avatar
Roobar
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 16:12

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by Roobar » Sat Apr 29, 2017 21:04

How could an 8 year-old boy be a student?

Also, the standard IQ tests are designed to assess human intelligence, not Vorticon's. They may have IQ tests, but they may be different than the human's. You should define what is the equivalent IQ of Vinny to Billy's IQ.

ComissionerDeWitt
Vortininja
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:33

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by ComissionerDeWitt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 21:21

Roobar wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 21:04
How could an 8 year-old boy be a student?

Also, the standard IQ tests are designed to assess human intelligence, not Vorticon's. They may have IQ tests, but they may be different than the human's. You should define what is the equivalent IQ of Vinny to Billy's IQ.
Um....what? :confused


Well I figured since Vorticons are kinda similar to humans (except for looking like blue dogs, living on another planet, and being able to jump really high :p ) they'd have similar enough IQ's
Meet Vinny Vorticos! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4054

User avatar
Levellass
S-Triazine
Posts: 5261
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40

Re: Vinny Vorticowsky

Post by Levellass » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:57

When it comes to IQ high scores are... inaccurate. The thing is the tests work by comparing apples with apples and when you get to very high scores there AREN'T any other apples for a comparison, so the values you get become increasingly bad measures of IQ. Certainly to the point that 314 vs 315 would be a pointless difference. https://www.quora.com/How-do-people-of- ... e-past-150 http://listverse.com/2013/05/19/8-reaso ... aningless/

So we must assume that in the Keeniverse IQ tests measure some rigidly defined property, such as how many math questions someone can answer correctly in 10 minutes. This would translate to the Vorticons easily enough.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.

Post Reply