News about my new mod...

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Re: News about my new mod...

Post by Levellass »

It's not the energy, it's the time. There's no routine anymore,everyone is everywhere and there's no telling when you'll have even 5 minutes to spare to do some modding. So much is so nearly done but stalled. It just makes me want to cry.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, that's equally bad... I can imagine. In my case it's usually enough time but no energy whatsoever. But eventually something gets done. You can bet it wasn't my intention to let four years pass since my previous mod. :dopekeen

And speaking of energy, I'm aborting the sound changing. I just can't get it done and it's souring my mood for this whole production, and obviously I don't want that now when I'm so close to getting it done and in good spirits (which have been affected, already). The sounds are meaningless to me, most of my favourite mods don't have sound changes, I've done enough of them during the years to know I absolutely hate doing them (to my knowledge I was the first to change sounds effects with Episode Smile (and unintentionally creating 'the sound confusion' with Yorphius II))... Right now I just don't have the energy/interest in spending hours (it would probably take me like three weeks, because any moment I focus on that stuff ruins several other hours of working mood) creating them, all the while feeling poisoned by them, not to mention that I can't get any sounding good to my ears, and the worst: I can't imagine any damn sounds at the moment, I have zero imagination for what I should be hearing and thus trying to make. Even writing about this subject made me furious. I hope I can correct the situation by reverting back the original sounds (and hitting F2) and not be disturbed by them any longer.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You need to get yourself a sound designer. I've always been a big fan of sound tweaking and it saddens me that so few of my projects are so tweaked.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That job is open for the next mod(s), whenever they'll be... :dopekeen

Anyway, it looks like I won't make it to my 3rd of Nov deadline. Progress is too slow now when there's hardly anything to be done. A bit frustrating... I'm endlessly fiddling with stuff that doesn't really matter. I hope next week will be better. I'm at 99% anyway so that's encouraging.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's the way of it; I have only the slightest slivers of time to dedicate to Keening now, so many things are so close but so far...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Why do I get the feeling that there are a lot of mods that are 99% complete and that there will be a boom of releases?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It needs a 'Are you sure you want to overwrite' thingy in it. The first rule of programming is, after all, "Users will be more ingeniously stupid than you can possibly imagine. This includes you." (Perhaps not 'stupid' per se, but most definitely more things can go wrong than you expect.)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I probably was at 97% when I last updated, I just thought it was 99%. But now it's 99% more or less. Most days begin with optimism that the work is getting done, where as evenings bring crushing fatigue and rage that this will never be done. I don't have much left, I really don't. I'm approaching the limit of my skills and my patience. I can't - or won't, rather - go on all winter trying to improve things I can't even improve. There's so little work left that it's astonishing how it can take more than an hour still. (But it will take, I know.) I hope this is the last update before the mod appears.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

the golden last per centum... feared by every modder.
go for it! make things done!
out now (link) : Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's never done, just release a beta like the smart modders do and only fix the stuff people complain about.

Works for Microsoft.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

What's that quote? After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks Nisaba, that really helped! Since essentially I work in a void and even when the work is done I hardly hear any comments about it, all such encouragement is welcome.

'Lass: it certainly is tempting to release just a few test levels and some unfinished graphics the next time... I guess that's better than completed work. :evil

I planned not to write any more updates but since it's easier to post than work, here goes. Everything is pretty much done except for a couple of things; editing one bitmap a bit, trying if a different colour works better with one sprite, placing the collectiables into the font bitmap, trying to think if some levels ought to be easier still, and checking that there are no typos. That's all I can think of at the moment. The mod should drop one day soon.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Malvineous wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:29 What's that quote? After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%.
Or, 'The time taken will be double and a unit up. So allocate 2 days for a one-hour job.'
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

KeenRush wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 Thanks Nisaba, that really helped! Since essentially I work in a void and even when the work is done I hardly hear any comments about it, all such encouragement is welcome.
Oh, but you got 4 pages of comments already. Much more that most mods these years anyway. But also you set my expectations really high. We'll see. But you'll probably get 1 or maximum 2 pages of comments for your mod when it is released. Don't worry though. I can already tell you what the comments will be. They will vary from the usual stealing of graphics by Levellass, my amazement and others' of how amazing your mod is, probably a video or two, off-topic comments, to totally non-sense/bad English comments by szemi and alexandro.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Since essentially I work in a void and even when the work is done I hardly hear any comments about it, all such encouragement is welcome.
I'm definitely looking forward to what you're working on. I completely understand that feeling of not getting a lot of engagement, and it can make it hard to find the motivation and feedback you need. I'm certainly guilty of not posting as much feedback as I should. But I hope you don't let that get you down -- I'm sure people will really enjoy what you're working on.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086